CPU
i7-4700K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi I built a DIY wireless card. Bought this BCM94322 card from ebay and rebranded it.

BCM Card:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Broadcom-BCM943 ... 500wt_1204

PCI-E card:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 434wt_1187

Well, I got everything working, but it seems like the range of my wireless card is very limited. It only picks up my wireless network which is literally 4 feet away from the desktop and also one other surrounding network of a neighbor. It doesn't even see the free wireless network that my apt building offers. My macbook air at the same location picks up close to 11 networks and so does every other computer in my house including my cheap $10 tenda wireless stick.

Any reason for such limited wireless range for this setup? I have both antennas connected and installed on the back....The antenna plugs clicked onto the BCM94322 card...I tugged to make sure they were secure and they are.....Is this the result of just an crappy PCI-mini to PCI-E card or something else that I can fix?

Also I don't think this should make a difference but if it does I can change it. Instead of secure the BCM94322 card to the PCI-E card with screws (I didn't have any that fit) I just secured it down with plastic ties....I wouldn't think having screw there would make any difference, but if it does please let me know. thanks.

The signal on the card is about -69DB. Is that much lower than expected?

wireless2.jpg

Attachments

• wireless2.jpg
    wireless2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 185
FWIW, I bought that exact adapter a couple weeks ago, and I think it was DOA. Are you using the screw holes to hold down the BCM card to the adapter board?

I think the product is just crap.

msabre7 said:
FWIW, I bought that exact adapter a couple weeks ago, and I think it was DOA. Are you using the screw holes to hold down the BCM card to the adapter board?

I think the product is just crap.

I didn't have any screws. It need M2 x 3mm screws and I have none. I made it level with the PCI-E slot with plastic ties that I had.

I just bought this card too. I haven't bought the wireless Broadcom card yet. Were you able to resolve this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back