Contribute
Register

Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok heres a quick update.. On my 30" apple display I can not get greater than 1280x800, on my 20" Samsung I get 1600x900.. On my other 30" Crossover display (which Ive had for 3 years and has been an incredible display was just toasted by the Vega 64, I plugged it into the display port from the dvi to Hdmi to the Hdmi to club3D DisplayPort I heard a loud humming noise and it shut down, it no longer functions? the power light is on but will not display anything? Maybe a coincidence but Im leaning towards NOT!.. man this is an expensive test :(

Last edited:
ok Here I go, Im an idiot! All of these problems and deletion of my os / reinstall had nothing to do with the card, it had to do with my dual link dvi connection adaptors. I had single link dvi adaptors in place not dual link.. None the less I discovered this by going and purchasing a 27" LG monitor that came with the HDMI and Display port cables and 4k across the screen... I somehow destroyed my other 30" 2560x1600 display so I needed a new monitor regardless, but man what a nightmare.. Its always something so stupid! Gigamaxx thanks so much for your attempts to fix this issue and hopefully some other goon doesn't go through what Ive gone through, why AMD doesn't have a dvi port on their video cards is beyond me but its now working great!

ok Here I go, Im an idiot! All of these problems and deletion of my os / reinstall had nothing to do with the card, it had to do with my dual link dvi connection adaptors. I had single link dvi adaptors in place not dual link.. None the less I discovered this by going and purchasing a 27" LG monitor that came with the HDMI and Display port cables and 4k across the screen... I somehow destroyed my other 30" 2560x1600 display so I needed a new monitor regardless, but man what a nightmare.. Its always something so stupid! Gigamaxx thanks so much for your attempts to fix this issue and hopefully some other goon doesn't go through what Ive gone through, why AMD doesn't have a dvi port on their video cards is beyond me but its now working great!

Some of their models of RX Polaris cards have DVI ports but Apple doesn't really support them very well in later OS versions like High Sierra. VGA support pretty much dropped in Sierra at least for higher resolutions. If you want to get 4K 60HZ with Apple you need to use Displayport because the OS only supports 4K 30Hz for HDMi ports.

Some of their models of RX Polaris cards have DVI ports but Apple doesn't really support them very well in later OS versions like High Sierra. VGA support pretty much dropped in Sierra at least for higher resolutions. If you want to get 4K 60HZ with Apple you need to use Displayport because the OS only supports 4K 30Hz for HDMi ports.

Yes I remembered having this issue with a 42" 4k TV I was attempting to use as a monitor and how I came to own the club3d Hdmi to DP adaptor which with the help of resX managed to get it working @60hz, but the novelty of a giant monitor that big wore off and reluctantly gave it to my daughter for her room..

On another note, not sure if I screwed myself with this whole thing but I thought I was smart carbon copying my hard drive before wiping for a clean install but I forgot about the new partition scheme on HS was APFS and copied it to an hfs partitioned drive, that I never tested to see if it worked. or could boot from... question I have here is wether I can CC that drive again from the HFS Journaled drive to a apfs partitioned drive and then back to my main drive? guess Ill know when I get it to the new drive regardless.. But any thoughts would be great.. On a positive note I was fiddling with the other 30" display that I thought was toast and the display is ok the DVI cable was fried?? So it LIVES :)

Gotta say this new Vega card is flawless, besides my stupidity in getting it set up (which it did by itself) and not realizing that my Hdmi couldn't produce more than 1080p, why hasn't TonyMac been declaring this the new holy grail of graphics cards being delivered to the OSX86 community ?

Is it true you don't need WhateverGreen in 10.13.4?

I'm very much looking forward to a Vega card soon even though I prefer nVidia.

I didn't need anything I p[laced Lilu kext and whatever green just so In about my Mac displayed the correct card info, but I benched both with and w/out it and saw no difference in the outcome with or without it..

I didn't need anything I p[laced Lilu kext and whatever green just so In about my Mac displayed the correct card info, but I benched both with and w/out it and saw no difference in the outcome with or without it..

I have the same Vega card - and about to upgrade to Z370 + 8700K. Was it easy to install? Which guide did you use?

Also are you running 32GB ram and all works?

I have the same Vega card - and about to upgrade to Z370 + 8700K. Was it easy to install? Which guide did you use?

Also are you running 32GB ram and all works?

I actually installed it twice with no problems but I did purchase the Aorus z370 Gaming 5 One major problem was the onboard Bluetooth. It registered as a Broadcom but I think its intel? None the less both times the bluetooth stopped functioning , while it shows up in system properties it stops functioning after 3-4 days in both cases.. The onboard wifi never worked? but both times the bluetooth was picked up and functioned properly.. I was tempted to try and remove the module but it was located under the back port plate and didn't want to void the warranty by attempting the tape method.. I did just order the Gaming7 model which has neither the wifi or bluetooth onboard, Everything still works perfectly but with the bluetooth screwed up I can not disable it in the Bios which is beyond stupid.. Should get the new G7 board tomorrow and hoping I can just do a basic swap. I followed this guide here which worked perfectly and it was with the Gaming7 board..
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...a-10-13-2-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-vega64.243773/
Let me know if I can help in anyway.

1 Thing that is off is my boot times? I had a gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7 with a 6700K chip that would go through the Apple boot process in 6 sec flat, this new system is making 15-16 sec to boot the exact same system? Must need to tweak my config somehow I just can't see anything wrong ?

Thanks for your input @viccan ! Surely will ask kind assistance incase I get a showstopper :)

I will definately consider closely which Motherboard to choose. No point in going high end with no working onboard bluetooth/wifi.

I have looked at several motherboards, to suit my overclocking (I need to hit atleast 5Ghz with Corsair H150i Pro)

Sorry if I derailed the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back