Contribute
Register

Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of editing the kext, I use clover kext patching. Checknout Clover Configurator and how to patch kexts in clover if you don't know already...

@dashingncool would you mind sharing your config.plist with the Patched Apple Graphics? I am about to make a USB installer at my work - I don't have OS X at home atm. So if I can dump your config into the clover boot USB, then I think with the RX VEGA 56 installed, I can get OS X up and running at home. What you think? I am using X87 Intel board with i4790k CPU + the VEGA 56.

I already applied the "google chrome fix" from your link - with board id, product and imac etc. in clover.

Hope to hear from you :)

UPDATE: Have a look at the attached file if I did it correctly?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 11.27.38.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 11.27.38.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
I also experience the Chrome crashes/freezes on a Vega Frontier. Tried changing my SMBIOS settings without any luck. Any suggestions?

@dashingncool would you mind sharing your config.plist with the Patched Apple Graphics? I am about to make a USB installer at my work - I don't have OS X at home atm. So if I can dump your config into the clover boot USB, then I think with the RX VEGA 56 installed, I can get OS X up and running at home. What you think? I am using X87 Intel board with i4790k CPU + the VEGA 56.

I already applied the "google chrome fix" from your link - with board id, product and imac etc. in clover.

I am at work right now but this is the config which I got from another user which got me started. I can assure you of one thing.
There is only one (yes, only one) thing which I needed to get all the display ports working on Vega, which is the AppleGraphicsPolicy patch from this config plist. This config helped me in a bunch of other items but for graphics, that is all I had to do. No inject ATI etc etc.

Attachments

• config 2.plist
    9.9 KB · Views: 282
I also experience the Chrome crashes/freezes on a Vega Frontier. Tried changing my SMBIOS settings without any luck. Any suggestions?

Same here. Changing SMBIOS fixed chrome for me. Opera, Visual Studio Code and Heaven are still crashing. I feel that there is nothing we can do at this point and wait for the next versions of the kext with new versions of High Sierra.

That patch looks right to me. I hope you get it working.

I am at work right now but this is the config which I got from another user which got me started. I can assure you of one thing.
There is only one (yes, only one) thing which I needed to get all the display ports working on Vega, which is the AppleGraphicsPolicy patch from this config plist. This config helped me in a bunch of other items but for graphics, that is all I had to do. No inject ATI etc etc.

Thanks @dashingncool !

I went ahead yesterday and installed with your suggestions of the patched applegraphics + that link with iMac 19,1 and made it on the USB installer. This is the first time ever I have installed OS X in full 5K :) It seems to be just working so well. Thanks!.

On a funny note. When I installed it, I did the formatting in Disk Utility on the SSD (usual HFS+/Ext/Journaled/).. and went ahead with the installation. It only took about 4-5 minutes, I thought what? So it restarted and it had to install everything after reboot (like when you update an ipad or iphone progress bar on black screen). When it was done.. all my stuff was there left from Yosemite! I didnt need to do one thing to get going again with my apps and configurations. So much for that formatting :D

Simply a perfect upgrade :)

(well besides "Photos App" crashing, but I deleted the library and downloaded all my photos/videos again, and all is well now).

If anyone else is using RX VEGA, I can confirm that there is no mouse error too with Dell 5K (2xDP connection) - which was not cured in Sierra at any point.

Thanks @dashingncool !

I went ahead yesterday and installed with your suggestions of the patched applegraphics + that link with iMac 19,1 and made it on the USB installer. This is the first time ever I have installed OS X in full 5K :) It seems to be just working so well. Thanks!.

On a funny note. When I installed it, I did the formatting in Disk Utility on the SSD (usual HFS+/Ext/Journaled/).. and went ahead with the installation. It only took about 4-5 minutes, I thought what? So it restarted and it had to install everything after reboot (like when you update an ipad or iphone progress bar on black screen). When it was done.. all my stuff was there left from Yosemite! I didnt need to do one thing to get going again with my apps and configurations. So much for that formatting :D

(well besides "Photos App" crashing, but I deleted the library and downloaded all my photos/videos again, and all is well now).

If anyone else is using RX VEGA, I can confirm that there is no mouse error too with Dell 5K (2xDP connection) - which was not cured in Sierra at any point.

:thumbup::headbang::clap:

Thats great!! I only wish if there was a way to solve the crash issues with so many applications. Especially all the Electron apps like Visual Studio Code, Slack - they all are crashing even though chrome seems to be a bit more stable after that 19,1 trick.

Please keep me posted if you come across any fix for these. Night Night. Lol its 1 am here.

Also, update your signature now. hahahahaha. Whoosshhh.

glad that 19.1 trick solved some of your issues. It is still not perfect around 60k lower result on geekbench vs windows but I hope it will be better. At least I can export in h264 in FCX.

Thanks @dashingncool !

So Vega still doesn't work OOB? But, Dell 5K works on it after the patch...

So Vega still doesn't work OOB? But, Dell 5K works on it after the patch...

I didn't test without the kext patch (I made a brand new USB with clover already kext patched) so I guess you have to run with 1 DP or 1 HDMI cable if you didnt kext patch clover (which was super easy (faster then installing NVIDIA web drivers)). Then after first reboot - just kext patch in clover and your golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back