Contribute
Register

Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
X99 > Need manufacturer & full model # > See Rules!
CPU
i9 > need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
RX 5700
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get this card to work. Currently I'm getting the errors below when I add the card id to AMD10000Controller Kext.

IMG_5098.JPG

@dnetcrawler, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Some progress. Seems like High Sierra has support for the RX580 and Vega cards. They both work without issues during installation without any patches or igpu. Once the installer completes, it does go into a black screen. I'm unsure what the delta is between the installer base system and the complete install. Trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
Interesting findings on what is been loaded against what is defined on the KEXT. I'm not sure why the correct KEXT is not loading. Wonder if there is a way to force it.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 10.07.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 10.28.30 AM.png

BTW 9500 did not had device ID on it.

On the VEGA front. I have Full acceleration support, but only one port is working. In latest built, the correct device ID have been added. As you can see there are no iGPU. I'll have to figure out port mappings.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 11.30.17 AM.png

Just wanted to drop in and say: Keep up the good work. Vega looks very interesting as a compute/secondary-gaming-interest card. And if it ends up with native support WITHOUT the need for iGPU or a helper card, it will be a major breakthrough for those of us who want to stay with AMD for the superior Metal/Compute (FCP, etc) support. I'd love to upgrade my OC 290 to something with HDMI 2.0...

So you were able to boot with no modifications and no iGPU? Can you provide an Unigine benchmark?

Regarding your port issue: I'd look for usable framebuffer personalities (didn't dump them yet), maybe there's a matching one. Otherwise I'd create a custom one based on your VBIOS.

So you were able to boot with no modifications and no iGPU? Can you provide an Unigine benchmark?

Regarding your port issue: I'd look for usable framebuffer personalities (didn't dump them yet), maybe there's a matching one. Otherwise I'd create a custom one based on your VBIOS.

Correct, no mods at all and no iGPU. I have to get the windows drive and do the dump. I've not actually done this hack, so will give it a shot. How can I create a custom vBIOS?

Preliminary tests below. Please note the GTX STRIX 980ti is water-cooled with a EKWB block.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.30.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 7.22.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 2.38.55 PM.png

So to be fair to this card, I installed my WIN10 drive and ran some tests. These cards have been tested under the exact same hardware and bios setup. All cards are stock air cooled, with no OC from my end.

GTX STRIX 1080TI OC Gaming

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 6.25.15 PM.png

STRIX1080TI-OC-GAMING.gif

STRIX RX580

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 6.25.23 PM.png

RX580-GPU-Z.gif

Vega Frontier Edition

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 6.25.06 PM.png

Vega-GPU-z.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back