Contribute
Register

Vega 64 Random Black Screen + 100% Fan Speed Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
No what the guide meant be 'Early Drivers' is that at the time of writing the guide the AMD drivers for the Vega series were only recently released by Apple. That is no longer the case unless you are running any old version of macOS. Sierra or earlier is what I mean by old version of macOS.

The 'Radeon Deinit' fix was made part of Clover and could be added via the Graphics section of the Clover config.plist, as shown in the screenshot from Clover Configurator below:

View attachment 530686

RadeonDeinit option is highlighted on the screenshot above.

Alternatively you can use a custom 'SSDT-Radeon-Deinit.aml' if you are using OpenCore as your boot loader in place of Clover.
I tried enabling the RadeonDeInit and it seemed to have made a slight change in the way GPU temps and memory were being affected. However, I am still getting the crashes the same as before.

Still having issues... If anyone has figured this out please let me know

I am running into issues with my build recently.

Basically, it appears that under high GPU load activities, such as video editing, gaming, and 3D rendering, my computer will randomly go to black screen, and the fans will instantly ramp up to 100% speed. Note that if audio is playing, it will continue to play normally until the computer is turned off.

- My first theory was that the card was overheating. My fans never spin, even under high load.

- My second theory is that because the card is supporting two 4k monitors, that any extra load ontop of that can cause the card to become unstable.

- My third theory is that the card itself is just defective

- The Fourth theory is that the card is having issues with power, however, this one is at the bottom of the list because I purchased a power supply with enough wattage for my whole system.

So far I have tried using VEGATAB for controlling the fans, but that didn't seem to do anything. Also, when I unplug one of the 4K monitors, the likelihood of random crashes reduces in frequency greatly.

I am running Mac OSX 10.14.5 Mojave with Clover install

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have seen similar things but nobody seems to have had the exact same problem as me. It is starting to get frustrating because I rely on this computer for video editing and it has made the process 10x more time consuming because of these random crashes. If anyone can help me get to the bottom of this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Are you still having issues with this?

1. Open Radeon Software app
  2. Select performance
  3. Select tuning
  4. Switch from "default" to "GPU undervolt"
This has always solved the issue for me as of late. Sometimes for whatever reason it periodical resets to default and my GPU will black screen/max RPM. Just restart and repeat the same steps.

Still having issues... If anyone has figured this out please let me know
Try my fix above. I had the same exact issue and this has worked for me since late November.

Try my fix above. I had the same exact issue and this has worked for me since late November.
Where did you get the radeon software for mac? I can only find a download for Windows

@mattklahn it's only for Windows, you'll need a Windows installation (which should always be on a separate hard drive from your macOS install)

@PyroPlazma I'm having the same issue as mattklahn, so I'm trying your idea. I'm optimistic because I read that Seasonic PSUs specifically can't handle power spikes from the Vega 64, even their high-end ones. Hopefully this prevents those.

It's weird because on stress tests I've never been able to recreate the issue, but I'm usually doing something related to graphics when it crashes (black screen, 100% fan).

Didn't help. I also tried a Sapphire 5700 XT and am still having issues. Very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back