Contribute
Register

Vega 64 on Mojave Temperature and Fan issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
@pastrychef Very much appreciated you help! it fixed my Vega 64 issue. But I got another problem: cannot use more than one monitor. By any chance do you know how to fix this? Thanks!!!

Try installing Lilu and WhateverGreen.

@pastrychef Hey, I saw your comments on another forum about limitations of the 2010 Mac Pro due to power coming from the PCB... Those are not normal lines. More like the thick lines inside a power supply. Why mention it here? Because I wonder if anyone has tried a VEGA in a Mac Pro with Mojave. I wonder if it would have the same fan/heat issue. I have an MSI RX580 in the Mac Pro but frankly, the W7000 seems to be a better card. I'm using a dual mini-6 pin to 8-pin PCI-e on it. No obvious power issues.

Those lines can get overwhelmed. Try running FurMark on a power hungry card using 6 pin to 8 pin adaptors and the Mac Pro will shut itself down if you are lucky. If you are unlucky, the traces can burn.

The Vega fan issues are due to the drivers, not power delivery. I don't know what heat issues you mean. If a Mac Pro user is having fan issues with a Vega, using VGTab should also work for them. Of course, they would probably have to disable SIP to run the unsigned kexts.

Those lines can get overwhelmed. Try running FurMark on a power hungry card using 6 pin to 8 pin adaptors and the Mac Pro will shut itself down if you are lucky. If you are unlucky, the traces can burn.

The Vega fan issues are due to the drivers, not power delivery. I don't know what heat issues you mean. If a Mac Pro user is having fan issues with a Vega, using VGTab should also work for them. Of course, they would probably have to disable SIP to run the unsigned kexts.

To put it all together, If one chooses to put a Vega in a 2010 Mac Pro which would require 2 8 pin adapters, I'd limit it to the Vega 56 and I'd under-volt, under-clock it for: Lower noise, lower heat, and reduce the risk to the motherboard. It's really a shame that there are no direct cables from the 900+ watt PSU to the PCIe slot area.

My observations with the MSI RX580 so far convinces me that I won't be buying any more of the 5xx series. They only seem to be a good option on motherboards with IGP. A "nerfed" VEGA (using VGATab) is still a much higher performer than the 5xx series. I would also seriously consider the WX7100 when it's price drops below the $500 mark. I can't talk about the lower WX models because I haven't used them and they aren't specifically listed as working. I paid $150 for a used W7000 and I would buy another one of those if I could not afford a Vega.

To put it all together, If one chooses to put a Vega in a 2010 Mac Pro which would require 2 8 pin adapters, I'd limit it to the Vega 56 and I'd under-volt, under-clock it for: Lower noise, lower heat, and reduce the risk to the motherboard. It's really a shame that there are no direct cables from the 900+ watt PSU to the PCIe slot area.

My observations with the MSI RX580 so far convinces me that I won't be buying any more of the 5xx series. They only seem to be a good option on motherboards with IGP. A "nerfed" VEGA (using VGATab) is still a much higher performer than the 5xx series. I would also seriously consider the WX7100 when it's price drops below the $500 mark. I can't talk about the lower WX models because I haven't used them and they aren't specifically listed as working. I paid $150 for a used W7000 and I would buy another one of those if I could not afford a Vega.

I undervolted my Vega 56 to improve performance.
Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 6.20.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 6.03.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 6.04.35 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back