Contribute
Register

Vega 64 crashing, PSU problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, pretty new to all this so no idea where I would find the thermal paste?

Any ideas if it would be related to the 750w psu?

Power supply is certainly a possibility... However, I think 750W is more than sufficient for a Vega 64 and i7-8700K unless both of those are extremely overclocked or if you have lots of internal devices installed.

If you suspect it's the power supply, you can use a multimeter to test the 12v rail when under load to see if it's actually providing 12v. Connect the multimeter to a 4 pin Molex connector to test. Yellow is 12v and black is ground.

Here's a pretty good video on how to replace thermal compound:

I've grown to really like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Power supply is certainly a possibility... However, I think 750W is more than sufficient for a Vega 64 and i7-8700K unless both of those are extremely overclocked or if you have lots of internal devices installed.

If you suspect it's the power supply, you can use a multimeter to test the 12v rail when under load to see if it's actually providing 12v. Connect the multimeter to a 4 pin Molex connector to test. Yellow is 12v and black is ground.

Here's a pretty good video on how to replace thermal compound:

I've grown to really like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Thanks so much for your reply... i will indeed look into replacing the thermal paste, although slightly worried it will make it difficult to return if i need to swap gpu in the end. I do have lots of rgb crap in the build, 4 rgb fans, rgb ram, hue +, kraken 72, rgb psu... dont know if this would add to the overload of the psu? Think i will swap it out for the 850 and see if that fixes the problem. Just seems weird it performs well in gpu stress test but not battlefield 5 full screen!

Thanks so much for your reply... i will indeed look into replacing the thermal paste, although slightly worried it will make it difficult to return if i need to swap gpu in the end. I do have lots of rgb crap in the build, 4 rgb fans, rgb ram, hue +, kraken 72, rgb psu... dont know if this would add to the overload of the psu? Think i will swap it out for the 850 and see if that fixes the problem. Just seems weird it performs well in gpu stress test but not battlefield 5 full screen!

RGB lighting and fans should not consume too much power. I have a Vega 56 and an i9-9900K (overclocked) with an 850W power supply but in monitoring power consumption, I don't think I have ever exceeded 500W. I also have a lot of hard drives in my system. So, I feel that your 750W should be sufficient.

Right now any time I start Battlefield 5 it will run in windowed, but as soon as I enter full screen it crashes. No error logs given, no black screen, just instant crash. To me that seems like a PSU shutdown?

I am considering buying a 850W P7 just to see, but dont want to have to completely dissasemble the build to send back all the cables etc. Ive tried different GPU drivers, ive tried undervolting, power saving, etc in Radeon Wattman.

forgot to mention, furmark runs fine

@TheOG,

A 750W PSU should be Ok unless one of the Power lines is low or weak ... However the fact that the system runs FurMark would suggest that the issue is probably not hardware related.

Like Heaven and Valley, FurMark is a cross platform Benchmark and uses OpenGL for rendering .. the fact that your system runs FurMark ok would suggest that the PSU and Hardware are OK.

Are you running the game on MacOS or Windows 10 ?

If its Windows then this would suggested that the issue could be related to DirectX ... I'm not a gamer myself so can not be 100% sure about this but I believe that many current Gen PC games can be run using DirectX 11 and/or DirectX 12 .... I seem to remember reading that some games don't run well on certain GPU's using DirectX 12 (or 11). I'm guessing that the game you are trying to run might default to DirectX 12 .. if so see if you can run the Game in DirectX 11 Mode (or vice-versa).

I believe that DirectX12 has had quite a lot of growing pains so it could just be case that the Vega drivers are not quite there.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@TheOG,

A 750W PSU should be Ok unless one of the Power lines is low or weak ... However the fact that the system runs FurMark would suggest that the issue is probably not hardware related.

Like Heaven and Valley, FurMark is a cross platform Benchmark and uses OpenGL for rendering .. the fact that your system runs FurMark ok would suggest that the PSU and Hardware are OK.

Are you running the game on MacOS or Windows 10 ?

If its Windows then this would suggested that the issue could be related to DirectX ... I'm not a gamer myself so can not be 100% sure about this but I believe that many current Gen PC games can be run using DirectX 11 and/or DirectX 12 .... I seem to remember reading that some games don't run well on certain GPU's using DirectX 12 (or 11). I'm guessing that the game you are trying to run might default to DirectX 12 .. if so see if you can run the Game in DirectX 11 Mode (or vice-versa).

I believe that DirectX12 has had quite a lot of growing pains so it could just be case that the Vega drivers are not quite there.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply... annoyingly i read your message straight after i placed an order for a 1000W PSU haha unlucky! But yeah at least it will rule anything out to do with that.

Running the game on windows 10, and only running that as its quite GPU intensive and have nothing else to test it with other than benchmarks.

Mac side also workinf stable, fcpx is actually quite fast now and nothing seems to cause the shut down so yeah it is probably not hardware based! £200 down the drain for nothing.

I will certainly look into the DirectX11/12 thing... will google how to change as have no idea!

Thanks again man.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply... annoyingly i read your message straight after i placed an order for a 1000W PSU haha unlucky! But yeah at least it will rule anything out to do with that.

Running the game on windows 10, and only running that as its quite GPU intensive and have nothing else to test it with other than benchmarks.

Mac side also workinf stable, fcpx is actually quite fast now and nothing seems to cause the shut down so yeah it is probably not hardware based! £200 down the drain for nothing.

I will certainly look into the DirectX11/12 thing... will google how to change as have no idea!

Thanks again man.

Yeah so same crashes in DirectX 11 :(

Yeah so same crashes in DirectX 11 :(

@TheOG,

If hardware is stable in MacOS then I'm pretty sure that your issue is with DirectX .... first check to see if you are using the latest AMD Vega drivers .... if your not then obviously try updating to the latest version, if your already using the latest then try going back 1 or 2 versions. AMD has a pretty bad track record when it comes to Windows drivers ... it might be worth looking at a few Windows Gaming/DirectX/AMD Vega focused forums and see if there is a stable/recommended version of the AMD drivers, sorry but i don't know any forums off-hand as i don't game but i'm sure if you spend a bit of time googling you'll find something.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back