Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX670 OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My computer for the most part runs great. My issue is that after using FCPX for awhile the computer starts to majorly hang. The thought the issue was:
-I was allowing the computer to choose the multiplier based on usaged (ECSI enabled and using +.6 in voltage (vcore at normal)...that would get it to a vcore of 3.4). When I looked at HWmonitor during high and low loads the CPU package multiplier would drop from x43 to x19 (I had the multiplier set to x42 in the bios). I would get a spinning wheel and attributed that to the computer not knowing that during FCPX I need full power since I was constantly playing and stopping (thought it took the computer a second to catch up

-So, I dropped ECSI, set vcore to 1.44 (should I set all other voltage settings to normal?). Why does HW monitor say that the voltage is 1.404.

I'm not the type of person that worries about whether my about this mac or settings are displaying what is actually going on. I just want to know why FCPX streams extremely well and after an hour or so of editing starts crawling around. Also, I am using a kraken X40 liquid cooler, it is controlled by software, but that is obviously only for the PC...anyone have any idea how to control this thing

My computer for the most part runs great. My issue is that after using FCPX for awhile the computer starts to majorly hang. The thought the issue was:
-I was allowing the computer to choose the multiplier based on usaged (ECSI enabled and using +.6 in voltage (vcore at normal)...that would get it to a vcore of 3.4). When I looked at HWmonitor during high and low loads the CPU package multiplier would drop from x43 to x19 (I had the multiplier set to x42 in the bios). I would get a spinning wheel and attributed that to the computer not knowing that during FCPX I need full power since I was constantly playing and stopping (thought it took the computer a second to catch up

-So, I dropped ECSI, set vcore to 1.44 (should I set all other voltage settings to normal?). Why does HW monitor say that the voltage is 1.404.

I'm not the type of person that worries about whether my about this mac or settings are displaying what is actually going on. I just want to know why FCPX streams extremely well and after an hour or so of editing starts crawling around. Also, I am using a kraken X40 liquid cooler, it is controlled by software, but that is obviously only for the PC...anyone have any idea how to control this thing

Your numbers are all over. If you had offset set at 0.6, the cpu was throttling. The reason you see 1.404 when set to 1.44 is vdroop, which is a built in function by Intel (voltage drops with load). You can correct this droop (which in and of itself is not a problem, it's just an issue if it causes instability) using load line calibration. I don't know what processor you have, I'm guessing a 3930, but your profile makes no sense, so shrug. If indeed it is a 3930, I highly doubt a kraken x40 can handle that setting, so it's probably throttling.

Your numbers are all over. If you had offset set at 0.6, the cpu was throttling. The reason you see 1.404 when set to 1.44 is vdroop, which is a built in function by Intel (voltage drops with load). You can correct this droop (which in and of itself is not a problem, it's just an issue if it causes instability) using load line calibration. I don't know what processor you have, I'm guessing a 3930, but your profile makes no sense, so shrug. If indeed it is a 3930, I highly doubt a kraken x40 can handle that setting, so it's probably throttling.

Thanks for the response

I meant offset to +.06 (I have tried .04 to .08) so that the total vcore (offset + normal vcore of 1.34) would equal 1.4 which I have read all over is a very safe vcore level. I do have a 3930k. From a lot of posts people are using corsair H100 which seems equivilant to the kraken X40. Also, the 3930K + X79 make-up is standard build and everyone seems to be hitting 4.5Ghz without breaking a sweat.

Can you please explain what setting that the kraken can't handle? A vcore in excess of stock or the +.6 offset (which was a typo). Once upon a time someone mentioned how to grab screenshots of the bios (without having to use a camera), any idea how to do that I can post (no problem using a camera would just be easier if someone could refresh my memory)

My specs:
CPU: 3930K
GPU: GTX670
RAM: 32GB
mobo: gigabyte X79 UD3
internal working array 1: 3x2TB RAID0 HDD
internal working array 2: 2x256GB RAID0 SSD
cooling: kraken X40 (push/pull on single radiator)
case: NZXT switch 810
fan config: I have a total of 5 (soon to be 7 fans all configured to keep the air flowing through as per all the overclock posts that I have read).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back