Contribute
Register

Various program crashes and memory warnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - so I reinstalled Sierra but now am unable to boot into the memtest86 - I select it in the bios but then it goes to clover boot screen. Selecting it in clove boot screen results in the "no bootable media" error. Any help would be appreciated - apologies for the ignorance!

Create MemTest86 boot stick in windows. Use Rufus.

Attachments

• IMG_1912.JPG
    IMG_1912.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
Not sure whether this is relevant but under Yosemite and Sierra I have always had a hard time successfully running handbrake to convert video files - it would always crash after a while. I was able to solve the issue by adding a "threads=1" into the advanced options. Since my crashes now seem to happen when the processor is under load I wonder if there is some conflict with hyper-threading?

Last edited:
Hi Thank you for the help. I have attached the results from the MemTest86.

Suspect Hardware problem. You have Errors. Try different RAM then Run MemTest86 again.

Will do - thank you.

Suspect Hardware problem. You have Errors. Try different RAM then Run MemTest86 again.

Hi - I installed 8GB of fresh RAM (from the compatibility list @ Gigabyte) and ran MemTest86 - no errors. Booted into Sierra but found the same problem. When I stress the CPU by running GeekBench4 or converting a video file it reboots.

Attachments

• IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1929.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
Hi - I installed 8GB of fresh RAM (from the compatibility list @ Gigabyte) and ran MemTest86 - no errors. Booted into Sierra but found the same problem. When I stress the CPU by running GeekBench4 or converting a video file it reboots.
Not sure if this is helpful but I have attached a screenshot of my Diagnostic Reports folder - the one that seemed most odd was the "wakeups" which reported "45022 wakeups over the last 298 seconds (151 wakeups per second average), exceeding limit of 150 wakeups per second over 300"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 11.05.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 11.05.18 AM.png
    585.6 KB · Views: 47
Update - I added the boot flag cpus=1 and this has eliminated the restarting issue (while unfortunately limiting the usefulness). Has anyone figured out how to solve this before?

@charlieo2 it sounds like you need to start over.

Pick a USER or GOLDEN BUILD for the lists here and rebuild from scratch. That "Wakeups" thing has yet to be solved in a real mac with hundreds of problems posts (search for it).

Then if you still need help, post to a new thread...

Thanks Bob - sadly I think you're right. its been a case of "chase the gremlin" since I built this one. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back