Contribute
Register

Vanilla (OOB/Native) GFX card for El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Yoga,

According to the compatibility post .. AMD R9 380X would be the most powerful and compatible AMD card you could get that works OOB with El Capitan, of corse IGPU is always an option as long as your not doing anything Video/GPU intensive.

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay,

A year later I have finally got around to ordering a R9 380 to replace the 980 Ti, to hopefully fix the graphical glitches. I'm also hoping sleep/wake will work then too. May I ask for some help? I'm a tad out of my depth.

When the 380 arrives I'll uninstall the nvidia drivers and remove the boot flag. I've installed Clover 4369 as it was around during the time of this build and has the RadeonDeInit fix as recommended by the guide you linked to.

Line 119: ATI injection. Do I need to set that to true, or does the RadeonDeInit take care of it all?
Line 34: The npci=0x3000 boot flag. Pretty sure this was to get my 980 Ti working. Shall I ditch it?

No idea if I still need FixShutdown and HaltEnabler either. I may have done more than one thing wrong :¬)

Happy to donate some beers to you for the help!

P.S. Bar sleep/wake not working (I wish it would), the system has been stable for a few years. I don't dare update the OS :D

Attachments

• Yoga-config.plist
    4.3 KB · Views: 60
@Yoga,

You should only need to install the latest versions of Lilu + WhatEverGreen, there should be no need to use any Clover AMD options as WEG should take care of everything.

The AMD Compatibility Guide was written before WEG was available so does not take it into consideration.

You should ditch any Nvidia specific Clover options as well as uninstalling the Nvidia WEB and CUDA Drivers.

Cheers
Jay

@Yoga,

You should only need to install the latest versions of Lilu + WhatEverGreen, there should be no need to use any Clover AMD options as WEG should take care of everything.

The AMD Compatibility Guide was written before WEG was available so does not take it into consideration.

You should ditch any Nvidia specific Clover options as well as uninstalling the Nvidia WEB and CUDA Drivers.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for replying Jay. Do you literally just drop Lilu and WEG in S/L/E and that's it?

BTW - the guide says that WEG came first and the patch second:

Note on current AMD cards (3rd & 4th Gen GCN):
Many modern AMD GPUs are incorrectly initialized during boot phase, which will can lead to serious issues in OS X (e.g. boot to black screen or crash after sleep/wake). This was first solved by the WhateverGreen Lilu plugin. Extensive research has been done by Mieze, resulting in a DSDT patch. This knowledge has been incorporated into Clover (starting with rev. 4296) and can be enabled from the config.plist like this:

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>RadeonDeInit</key>
<true/>

We recommend using the Clover solution.

You sure WEG is the way? :¬)

BTW - the guide says that WEG came first and the patch second

@Yoga,

I was referring to the original release of the AMD guide which was written in Aug 2015.
The first public release public of WEG was 26th July 2017

To my knowledge WEG pretty much takes care of everything these days ...
On all my hacks with AMD GPU's I only use WEG, i do not use any Clover AMD options.

Personally I would try with just WEG and see how you get on, if you run into problems then try the Clover method.

Cheers
Jay

@Yoga,

I was referring to the original release of the AMD guide which was written in Aug 2015.
The first public release public of WEG was 26th July 2017

To my knowledge WEG pretty much takes care of everything these days ...
On all my hacks with AMD GPU's I only use WEG, i do not use any Clover AMD options.

Personally I would try with just WEG and see how you get on, if you run into problems then try the Clover method.

Cheers
Jay

Good call :¬)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back