Asus Z170 Hero VIII
CPU
i7-6700K OC @4.6GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Hey there,

I use a 980 Ti GTX with Nvidia web drivers, but I get an annoying graphic glitch multiple times a day (using LCD TV as screen) which means I have change the resolution or toggle TV input to fix it. Had enough of it!

Which card can I drop in that works out of the box with native drivers?

Skylake 6700K on Maximus VIII Hero mobo. 10.11.5. TV is running 4K HiDPI (Retina), 60Hz and Chroma 4:4:4 and has HDMI inputs.

I use a 980 Ti GTX with Nvidia web drivers, but I get an annoying graphic glitch multiple times a day (using LCD TV as screen) which means I have change the resolution or toggle TV input to fix it. Had enough of it!

Which card can I drop in that works out of the box with native drivers?

@Yoga,

Yes Nvidia Drivers are notorious for graphical glitches and stutters in MacOS.

Recommend RX 580 or Vega 56/64 for best graphical performance in MacOS (as long as you don't need CUDA)

Best to stick with Sapphire Manufactured card if possible as they follow the AMD Reference Designs.
Some good deals on Sapphire RX 580 Nitro + out there at the moment if you don't need the performance of Vega.

Be sure to search for success with other brand card if you decide not to go with Sapphire one.

Cheers
Jay

@Yoga,

Yes Nvidia Drivers are notorious for graphical glitches and stutters in MacOS.

Recommend RX 580 or Vega 56/64 for best graphical performance in MacOS (as long as you don't need CUDA)

Best to stick with Sapphire Manufactured card if possible as they follow the AMD Reference Designs.
Some good deals on Sapphire RX 580 Nitro + out there at the moment if you don't need the performance of Vega.

Be sure to search for success with other brand card if you decide not to go with Sapphire one.

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay,

Thanks very much for the quick reply! I wasn't aware that AMD cards worked OOB for El Capitan. Do you know which flags I would need to set via Clover?

I'm a bit scared to change it all too, hah, been a while since I fiddled with this stuff :¬)

Ross

Hi Jay,

Thanks very much for the quick reply! I wasn't aware that AMD cards worked OOB for El Capitan. Do you know which flags I would need to set via Clover?

I'm a bit scared to change it all too, hah, been a while since I fiddled with this stuff :¬)

Ross

@Yoga,

Opp sorry gave you a bit of bum information .... did not take in to account that your on MacOS 10.11.X.
Vega and RX 4XX / 5XX cards are only supported on MacOS Sierra +

Check out this post for AMD compatibility information :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

Your options are limited to discontinued/legacy AMD cards if you plan to stay on El Capitan.
Might be time to consider updating MacOS to High Sierra, then replace GPU with AMD and then you can update to Mojave.

The rest of your H/W specs should be no problem to run the current version of MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
wondering if there is a card that runs OOB with this build and El Capitan! ... Could even try the onboard GFX.

@Yoga,

According to the compatibility post .. AMD R9 380X would be the most powerful and compatible AMD card you could get that works OOB with El Capitan, of corse IGPU is always an option as long as your not doing anything Video/GPU intensive.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey - this machine is used in a pro environment, I can't risk updating atm! Hence wondering if there is a card that runs OOB with this build and El Capitan!

Could even try the onboard GFX.
If you can find them R9 280 / R9280X works OOB in anything past 10.8 IIRC (not sure the exact version of 10.8 - might be .3 or later. Have you tried using the latest Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts? The developers are starting to include nVidia GPU support last I heard, but not sure which GPUs are included.

If you can find them R9 280 / R9280X works OOB in anything past 10.8 IIRC (not sure the exact version of 10.8 - might be .3 or later. Have you tried using the latest Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts? The developers are starting to include nVidia GPU support last I heard, but not sure which GPUs are included.

I must admit, I've lost touch a bit - are these new GFX drivers?

@Yoga,

According to the compatibility post .. AMD R9 380X would be the most powerful and compatible AMD card you could get that works OOB with El Capitan, of corse IGPU is always an option as long as your not doing anything Video/GPU intensive.

Cheers
Jay

Ah, yes for audio so I'll avoid the HD530 chip.

Thanks fellas.

Lilu is more of an enabler for other kexts from what I understand of how it works. Whatevergreen is a kext that is rapidly replacing a lot of patches like IntelGraphicsFixup, nVidiaGraphicsFixup and Shiki. It works in conjunction with Lilu to make unsupported GPUs work. If you install Whatevergreen make sure you delete the other patches.

Lilu is more of an enabler for other kexts from what I understand of how it works. Whatevergreen is a kext that is rapidly replacing a lot of patches like IntelGraphicsFixup, nVidiaGraphicsFixup and Shiki. It works in conjunction with Lilu to make unsupported GPUs work. If you install Whatevergreen make sure you delete the other patches.

Thanks for the info, I'll do some digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back