Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 1.21.34 PM.png

Wow- Valve has just announced that they're putting out a free Linux-based Operating System for gaming called SteamOS!

Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam.
Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room.

Steam is coming to a new operating system

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.

SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.

It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 1.18.13 PM.jpg

I think that their strategy will be to stream games from your main machine to a device hooked to your TV.

Interesting. I wonder how closed it'll be.

Interesting. I wonder how closed it'll be.

Closed to anything not running on Steam. I assume the intent is to get in on the small set top box market, not create a box for home gearheads to poke around in. Not that there would be any advantage to doing so if you already have a desktop that's running Steam.

This is for the non-gearhead market, the folks who want nothing more complicated to use than an Apple TV. Presumably also this will be for more console oriented games... not PC type ones.

like to see how this is going to change the market.out with the windows !!!!
graphic cards anyone ???

support online/offline ???

lomg way to go >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back