Contribute
Register

v310's First Build: Core i7-3770K - GA-Z77N-WIFI - 16GB RAM - GTX 660Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really nice build :D
(the images could be bigger, are hard to see)

The User Builds Template has info on how to make the pictures larger - upload the pictures to your account's Albums and use the Albums IMG link to copy & paste into your build description. Please don't use large pictures - resize them as appropriate to the Forum's posts. TIA.

The User Builds Template is the sticky in this forum section. :thumbup:

Thanks Guys!!! Now the pictures are ok :)

Switch to the other LAN port on your motherboard. That did the trick for a lot of people on here using this board including myself. Nice build.

Switch to the other LAN port on your motherboard. That did the trick for a lot of people on here using this board including myself. Nice build.

Thanks for the tip. I changed the keyboard/mouse to usb 3.0 ports and now the delay is gone :headbang:

Post Installing / Troubleshooting

Changed the system definitions to Mac Pro 5,1 (had to remove AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions). Did that because i was trying to solve the 'sleep' issue (black screen). The modification fixed the issue, plus i got a higher score on benchmarks.

If you don't mind me asking - what does changing the system definitions do for the computer?

If you don't mind me asking - what does changing the system definitions do for the computer?

Well, technically speaking: I don't know :lol:

All I can say is that you can use any System Definitions that you want, however, the benchmark scores will be different.

I got my best score using the MacPro 5,1 definition ... so it was definitely a keeper.

Just don't forget to delete the files that i mentioned if you are going to try the MacPro 4,1 or 5,1 definitions. Good luck!

Apple's OS X treats each SysDef differently. IIRC, MacPro5,1 & 6,1 expect to see ECC RAM. SpeedStep and power management are also treated differently. We recommend using MacPro3,1 for most cases. which is why it's the default for the "UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation" MultiBeast option. However, Sandy Bridge systems using HD3000 with two monitors should use MacMini5,1. But, for now, we're recommending you stay with the default MacPro3,1 unless you need AirPlay, then Ivy Bridge builds can use either MacMini6,1 or 6,2 SysDef, or buy Air Parriot for $10.

toleda has a thread in the Mountain Desktop Support forum section.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...tive-ivy-bridge-cpu-gpu-power-management.html

Warning! A lot is still experimental and is not for the beginner. However, I thought you ought to know that there is serious working being done to work out what OS X is doing for each SysDef.

Well, at the moment i only have the usb keyboard and mouse plugged in. I noticed a little lag, maybe 5 to 6 seconds when i wake the machine up from sleep.

I hope not, but I think you will experience the problem of usb eject after waking up.

Try to insert a usb thumb drive, put it on sleep and wake up..

(I'm asking you cause I'm planning to change my GA-H61N-USB3 with your mobo)

Thanks for the tip. I changed the keyboard/mouse to usb 3.0 ports and now the delay is gone :headbang:

Hi, I have pretty much the same set up as you, few questions:

1. Why do you need to install drivers from nVidia?
- my USB install dongle has 10.8.2 and no need for any additional drivers, that's why I'm asking what's the reason behind installing CUDA and GFX drivers and I didn't need to install any OpenCL patch from MultiBeast (CUDA seems to be working out of the box for me, at least CaptureOne uses GPU at full speed)

2. Why not use iMac 12,1(?) system definitions?
- after choosing this, my first SW update was around 500MB and downloaded a lot of stuff related to this system definition - when I used MacPro, the update wasn't that big

3. Do you have problems with sleep?
- I use Apple USB keyboard and Apple Bluetooth keyboard. My system doesn't sleep automatically. When I manually put it to sleep I can wake it up by hitting any key on any of the keyboards - but after that I can't use keyboard at all, it's not registered, the same goes for BT keyboard.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Why not use iMac 12,1(?) system definitions?
- after choosing this, my first SW update was around 500MB and downloaded a lot of stuff related to this system definition - when I used MacPro, the update wasn't that big
iMac12,1 is for Sandy Bridge systems as the iMac12,1 is a Sandy Bridge (i5) based system. If the default MacPro3,1 doesn't work for you, then you might try the MacMini6,1 (i5) or 6,2 (i7). There is a discussion by toleda in Mountain Lion Desktop Support on the issues of SpeedStep and Power Management with the Ivy Bridge iMac13,1 & 13,2, if you want to know more. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...tive-ivy-bridge-cpu-gpu-power-management.html

Dear v310
great machine you built!:headbang:
It seems that you have both video card (660 ti) and atheros wifi: how did you managed to have both installed?
Is there "naturally" enought room for both on the mobo? I thought video card would have covered atheros pci port.. can you send a pic of inner parts?
Thanks a lot in advance for your reply I'm working in order to build a very similar machine
R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back