Contribute
Register

UtterDisbelief’s Comet Lake ITX: ASRock B560M-ITX/ac - i3-10320 - 32GB DDR4 - GT710 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update 2

One crazy aspect of the MetallicGear Neo Mini v2.0 case I used is that there is no reset button and no cable or hole for one. Aside from the power button on the top the only other button is for cycling through the the built-in RGB LEDs behind the front panel, and that's down next to the front USB ports. A weird design choice.

So I set about making my own.

As I'm using an eSATA backplate to allow me to boot other drives if I want to, I decided to drill a hole in this to accept a small momentary push-button, here under the Graphics Card Display port:

Button.jpg

Then I bought a packet of front-panel extension cables. As luck would have it the distance between the two pins on the end of the cables was much the same as the distance between pins on the switch, so soldering was an easy job. To neaten things up I used heat-shrink to disguise the join. The white braiding matches my internal SATA cables too, maintaining the theme.

Cable.jpg

The switch was from an electronics store - 7mm diameter hole needed. The cables from Shakmods, an online (and ebay) seller of many useful braided cables.

switch.jpg
Finished heat-shrink:

button.jpg

I have already bought a round cable eSATA back-plate, which will look better as it is also black, but not yet done the drilling again. Later.

Once plugged into the motherboard front-panel header, all works as hoped and now all those tests I get wrong can be escaped from using this button rather than the power switch.

Last edited:
Hi! Just wanted to start off by saying thank you so much for providing this, I've spent (and had originally given up) the past 3 months trying to get big sur working with the b560m-itx board, but just couldn't get it. After using your EFI folder, I'm able to successfully boot into big sur! But, I am running into some issues that I hope you can help with.

Not Working
- Sleep/wake boot doesn't seem to work: After my computer goes to sleep, when I try waking it, it seems like the screen is going to turn on, but then it seems to lose signal again (I'm using HDMI from a Sapphire RX 580 8GB, if that helps)
- Wifi doesn't work (I'm currently using ethernet): I read what you wrote about manually entering the ssid and password in itlwm.kext, which I did, but it looks like the wifi is still disconnected (the wifi symbol is grey and I don't see any wifi option under Network). Bluetooth seems to work though! (Although in Network, is says Bluetooth PAN not connected, I'm not really sure what that means).
- After successfully installing macOS on my NVMe drive, I can't seem to boot off my SSD (which has Windows installed): The SSD just doesn't show up when I hit F11 on bootup. I only see my NVMe drive now (but in BIOs, I can see the ssd there. I also can see the ssd when I use Disk Utility)

Working Now
- Audio isn't working: I tried switching to alcid=69, as well as removing alcid from boot-args and using PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) instead (under DeviceProperties, with layout-id <42000000>), but neither of those options work. When I use hackintool, I only see the hdmi audio (Ellesmere HDMI Audio?) under System > Peripherals and under Sound. But, when I go under PCIe, I see the entry for what I believe is the built in audio (see screenshot #1). Also, when I check the PCI entry in apple's System Information, it says "This computer doesn't contain any PCI cards or devices". ...But oddly enough, when I connect my airpods via bluetooth, I am able to get audio. Nvm it's working now! I could've sworn I tried changing alcid=69 before, but it didn't work. The only difference is this time I also added PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) to DeviceProperties and setting its layout-id to 69.

Sorry for the long paragraph, but hopefully you can shed light on these issues. Thank you so much for finally helping me get big sur booting though!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 11.09.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 11.09.34 PM.png
    347.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Hi! Just wanted to start off by saying thank you so much for providing this, I've spent (and had originally given up) the past 3 months trying to get big sur working with the b560m-itx board, but just couldn't get it. After using your EFI folder, I'm able to successfully boot into big sur! But, I am running into some issues that I hope you can help with.

Not Working
- Sleep/wake boot doesn't seem to work: After my computer goes to sleep, when I try waking it, it seems like the screen is going to turn on, but then it seems to lose signal again (I'm using HDMI from a Sapphire RX 580 8GB, if that helps)
- Wifi doesn't work (I'm currently using ethernet): I read what you wrote about manually entering the ssid and password in itlwm.kext, which I did, but it looks like the wifi is still disconnected (the wifi symbol is grey and I don't see any wifi option under Network). Bluetooth seems to work though! (Although in Network, is says Bluetooth PAN not connected, I'm not really sure what that means).
- After successfully installing macOS on my NVMe drive, I can't seem to boot off my SSD (which has Windows installed): The SSD just doesn't show up when I hit F11 on bootup. I only see my NVMe drive now (but in BIOs, I can see the ssd there. I also can see the ssd when I use Disk Utility)

Working Now
- Audio isn't working: I tried switching to alcid=69, as well as removing alcid from boot-args and using PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) instead (under DeviceProperties, with layout-id <42000000>), but neither of those options work. When I use hackintool, I only see the hdmi audio (Ellesmere HDMI Audio?) under System > Peripherals and under Sound. But, when I go under PCIe, I see the entry for what I believe is the built in audio (see screenshot #1). Also, when I check the PCI entry in apple's System Information, it says "This computer doesn't contain any PCI cards or devices". ...But oddly enough, when I connect my airpods via bluetooth, I am able to get audio. Nvm it's working now! I could've sworn I tried changing alcid=69 before, but it didn't work. The only difference is this time I also added PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) to DeviceProperties and setting its layout-id to 69.

Sorry for the long paragraph, but hopefully you can shed light on these issues. Thank you so much for finally helping me get big sur booting though!

Hi there.

Glad the EFI folder helped. :thumbup:

1) Sleep/Wake - Hmmm. That's not a problem I've seen, with either the GT710 I began the build with or the RX560 I've been using lately. All I can think of is to check the BIOS iGPU setting. I have mine set to "Auto" at the moment. This means when the system boots and sees no HDMI cable in the motherboard socket, it switches to the PCIe slot. Effectively this means the iGPU is disabled.

2) WiFi is a funny one. Likely yours is working. The kext makes macOS treat Intel wireless as Ethernet, not wireless, so the icon in the menu bar stays greyed-out. Incidentally you can remove the menu-bar icon by going into the System Preferences / Dock & Menu Bar Settings / Wi-Fi Menu Bar & Control Centre tab, and clearing the "Show in Menu Bar".

3) An NVME drive with Windows already installed is going to be tricky, no matter what you try. I never do this and always keep macOS and Windows on separate SSDs. There is an NVME kext that might help but, sorry, I haven't used it.

4) Glad to hear you sorted the audio problem. :)

Hi there.

Glad the EFI folder helped. :thumbup:

1) Sleep/Wake - Hmmm. That's not a problem I've seen, with either the GT710 I began the build with or the RX560 I've been using lately. All I can think of is to check the BIOS iGPU setting. I have mine set to "Auto" at the moment. This means when the system boots and sees no HDMI cable in the motherboard socket, it switches to the PCIe slot. Effectively this means the iGPU is disabled.

2) WiFi is a funny one. Likely yours is working. The kext makes macOS treat Intel wireless as Ethernet, not wireless, so the icon in the menu bar stays greyed-out. Incidentally you can remove the menu-bar icon by going into the System Preferences / Dock & Menu Bar Settings / Wi-Fi Menu Bar & Control Centre tab, and clearing the "Show in Menu Bar".

3) An NVME drive with Windows already installed is going to be tricky, no matter what you try. I never do this and always keep macOS and Windows on separate SSDs. There is an NVME kext that might help but, sorry, I haven't used it.

4) Glad to hear you sorted the audio problem. :)

1) The sleep/wake works now! I ended up switching monitors..? I'm not sure how that would resolve it, but it did. I'm even using the same HDMI cable. The original monitor I was using was the Samsung 27" SR75. After switching to a Dell U2717D, the sleep/wake works correctly.

2) Oh! OK, that's good to know. I don't think I'll be using WiFi on this desktop anyways.

3) Ah I think I may have miscommunicated. I have my macOS on my nvme and my windows 10 on a separate SSD. Before when I had Ubuntu installed on the NVMe, and when I pressed F11, I was able to see both the Ubuntu and windows boot options. Now, when I press F11, I only see the macOS boot option. But in the Disk Utility, I still see the Windows 10 SSD. It's not a huge deal, I don't really need to access that Windows 10 SSD, anyways. I just thought it was weird that the boot option suddenly disappeared. Maybe I'll give the NVMe kext a try. Thanks!

hi there,

I've used your USBPorts.Kext as we have exactly the same mobo. I'm on the process of installing the macOS big sur 11.3 but unfortunately the mouse and keyboard doesn't work. Any advise on how to?

In my config plist, I only use your usb kext w/o any other usbinjectall etc.

hi there,

I've used your USBPorts.Kext as we have exactly the same mobo. I'm on the process of installing the macOS big sur 11.3 but unfortunately the mouse and keyboard doesn't work. Any advise on how to?

In my config plist, I only use your usb kext w/o any other usbinjectall etc.

Hello.

Two things to check:

1) Which system-definition are you using?

For the USBPorts.kext to work you need iMac18.3

2) The USB2 ports on the back panel are live for a keyboard.

:thumbup:

Hello.

Two things to check:

1) Which system-definition are you using?

For the USBPorts.kext to work you need iMac18.3

2) The USB2 ports on the back panel are live for a keyboard.

:thumbup:

It's all sorted now. A user guided me on how to map the USB. But to answer your questions see below.

1. iMac20,2
2. I've only mapped 10ports.

Now, I have a new problem... I've erased my NVMe where my WINDOWS 10 was installed. I'm stuck in installing the Big Sur, and, unfortunately, it needs Internet connection to proceed. My question now is, if I plugged in my Ethernet cable, will the install proceed or do I need to add new KEXT for the Ethernet cable to be detected? If yes, where do I start?

BTW, I'm a newbie to this hackintosh. So my question maybe basic to you but complicated to me already. Please bear with me. Thank you

It's all sorted now. A user guided me on how to map the USB. But to answer your questions see below.

1. iMac20,2
2. I've only mapped 10ports.

Now, I have a new problem... I've erased my nvme where my WINDOWS 10 was installed. I'm stuck in installing the Big Sur and unfortunately it needs internet connection to proceed. My question now is, if I plugged in my ethernet cable, will the install proceed or do i need to add new KEXT for the ethernet cable to be detected? If yes, where do I start?

Btw, I'm a newbie to this hackintosh so my question maybe basic to you but complicated to me already. Please bear with me. Thank you
yes, plug in an Ethernet cable

Thank you guys. I have successfully installed macOS with the specs in my forum name.

Some questions,

1. My hackintosh doesn't detect my GPU which is AMD Radeon RX 6600. maybe that's the reason why my graphics is kinda slow moving when I hover to X,Y screen spot. I'm unsure though. Apple icon>About>Graphics say 7mb

2. Since I don't have WINDOWS anymore, where and how can I edit my config.plist in my USB?

3. My WiFi is not working. I'm connected via Ethernet cable only.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back