Contribute
Register

UtterDisbelief KL - Z270 Gaming K3, i3-7320 4.1ghz, Radeon RX560 2GB, 16GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the Serial number will change for every system definition, but if you have one for your hackintosh you might want to keep it the same for iMessage and iCloud activation.

The Board IDs are the same for each type of definition.

The dummy config.plist was just so you can copy the Board ID for your definition back into your original config.plist as you said you had lost it etc.

You CAN use the same Serial number on different system definitions. I've kept my own serial number the same for my hackintosh for years now, despite trying different definitions. I run my kaby lake machine as 14,2.

:)

Ok, what is the different running the machine as 14,2 and 18,3?

So currently I'm running 18,3 with valid serial number and I need to change the system definition to create SSDT. After created SSDT with 14,2 I just copy the 18,3 SMBIOS information to 14,2 config.plist?

Am I correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong or not in the right direction. Thanks.

Ok, what is the different running the machine as 14,2 and 18,3?

So currently I'm running 18,3 with valid serial number and I need to change the system definition to create SSDT. After created SSDT with 14,2 I just copy the 18,3 SMBIOS information to 14,2 config.plist?

Am I correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong or not in the right direction. Thanks.

Hi there.

Obviously you can use the 18,3 system definition if you want to. It is the latest from Apple that supports Kaby Lake but it is very new. I use 14,2 because it is well-known and reliable. It is for Skylake with an onboard iGPU so some people prefer to use 17,1 instead, but that causes Nvidia problems! Maybe the 18-series will become more popular after testing. I will wait and see.

Okay, two things:

To change Board ID -

The easiest way to change your 18,3 to 14,2 is to use Clover Configurator. (Make a safe duplicate of your working config.plist in case anything goes wrong). Load the one you are using and copy the present Serial number and the Board Serial Number to, say TextEdit. Then use CC to change the system definition of it. This will create a new, correct, Board ID and Bios Version, as well as new serial numbers. Now you can replace the new serials with your previous ones from your TextEdit copy.

Save it.

That way all your previous edits should be kept and only the system definition changed.

To create a valid SSDT -

The system definition doesn't seem to matter, just use the "-target 5" command-line option I mention above. That will create a Kaby Lake compatible SSDT. With the correct Board ID in place the script will still show an error but you can just go past it now and complete the process.

Hi there.

Obviously you can use the 18,3 system definition if you want to. It is the latest from Apple that supports Kaby Lake but it is very new. I use 14,2 because it is well-known and reliable. It is for Skylake with an onboard iGPU so some people prefer to use 17,1 instead, but that causes Nvidia problems! Maybe the 18-series will become more popular after testing. I will wait and see.

Okay, two things:

To change Board ID -

The easiest way to change your 18,3 to 14,2 is to use Clover Configurator. (Make a safe duplicate of your working config.plist in case anything goes wrong). Load the one you are using and copy the present Serial number and the Board Serial Number to, say TextEdit. Then use CC to change the system definition of it. This will create a new, correct, Board ID and Bios Version, as well as new serial numbers. Now you can replace the new serials with your previous ones from your TextEdit copy.

Save it.

That way all your previous edits should be kept and only the system definition changed.

To create a valid SSDT -

The system definition doesn't seem to matter, just use the "-target 5" command-line option I mention above. That will create a Kaby Lake compatible SSDT. With the correct Board ID in place the script will still show an error but you can just go past it now and complete the process.

I did follow your guide to change 14,2 for get the correct Board ID, unfortunately I'm not able to get the correct board id with error

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0605 instead of 0x0905)

- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type

Error: board-id [Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61] not supported by Kaby Lake – check SMBIOS data / use the -target option

I did follow your guide to change 14,2 for get the correct Board ID, unfortunately I'm not able to get the correct board id with error

Yes, that is correct. I explained that in my last post that you will still get the error but you can now just continue y/n and it will generate correctly.

Yes, that is correct. I explained that in my last post that you will still get the error but you can now just continue y/n and it will generate correctly.

Created new SSDT but seem it won't wake up from sleep, I need hard restart. I try darkwake 0 and 8 also same

Created new SSDT but seem it won't wake up from sleep, I need hard restart. I try darkwake 0 and 8 also same

Short sleep or long? Is it just the monitor not coming back on, just the audio, or the whole system?

Things to check: Monitor on HDMI? BIOS settings for Wake. "dart=0" on command-line. Experiment with "darkwake" on its own and with other numerical values - use Clover Configurator to see your options.

Short sleep or long? Is it just the monitor not coming back on, just the audio, or the whole system?

Things to check: Monitor on HDMI? BIOS settings for Wake. "dart=0" on command-line. Experiment with "darkwake" on its own and with other numerical values - use Clover Configurator to see your options.

Changed darkwake to 10 seem it work without glitch screen. It won't sleep itself and if I click sleep it in few second it will wakeup from sleep. How to track the sleep record or test the sleep/wake working?

Last edited:
Changed darkwake to 10 seem it work without glitch screen. It won't sleep itself and if I click sleep it in few second it will wakeup from sleep. How to track the sleep record or test the sleep/wake working?

Glad you are making progress :thumbup:

On my build the instant wake from sleep was caused by the USB setting for the bluetooth adaptor.

To cure this I created a port definition table following the instructions given by @ammulder in his Skylake build instructions (still correct for kaby lake) which also meant I could remove the 15-20 port increase patch.

The port your bluetooth adapter is connected to should have the value of "255".

This cured the instant wake for me. (But it can also be caused by the wake-from-LAN settings too).

Update no. 4 : The change to AMD graphics with a dual-fan RX 560 2GB card

For some time I've wanted to 'upgrade' to an AMD graphics card. Well, with the latest Apple machines using exclusively AMD GPUs it seemed to indicate the future for High Sierra and beyond was mapped-out that way. What's more I've been using Nvidia GPUs exclusively for the last couple of years and the web-drivers seem to have become successively more buggy as time's gone on. The cards work perfectly in Windows of course, but my list of macOS applications & games that have problems, was growing.

It was a gamble. AMD graphics have been problematic since El Capitan, with the need to boot through the Clover menu "invisibly" using an iGPU or helper-card as a primary display. Recently though clever minds at work behind the scenes have begun to offer resolutions for these annoyances and I decided it was time to explore.

The graphics card I chose was a Gigabyte RX560 Gaming dual-fan 2GB, model no: GV-RX560GAMING OC-2GD.

As you can see from my earlier posts I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 and system-definition iMac14,2.

Before turning-off my PC to make the change I put the Lilu.kext, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext & WhatEvergreen.kext into my EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. I also loaded my config.plist into Clover Configurator and made sure I had un-ticked the InjectIntel option. Counter-intuitively, for a Kaby Lake system this is needed. (No need to tick InjectATI either, nor set any FrameBuffers or Fake IDs).

On restart I set the iGPU as Primary in the machine's BIOS, saved it and then turned-off. Once done I moved the HDMI cable to the motherboard socket and rebooted once more.

At the desktop using iGPU graphics I could check the necessary Whatevergreen kext had loaded in two ways. One was to use IORegistryExplorer and check the bottom of the left-hand panel, the other to check 'System Report'. Initially my GPU was recognised incorrectly as an 'R9 xxx' and there was nothing showing in IORegistryExplorer. This was because I'd used earlier versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts. Make sure you use the latest. Once changed my card was seen as a Radeon Pro 560. If you don't do this you still have the notorious black-screen boot.

As all now looked okay, I reset the BIOS to PCI-1 as Primary graphics, disabled the iGPU and, after crossing my fingers, rebooted.

All went smoothly. There was a brief flash of the monitor as the GPU initialised for the log-in screen but nothing worrying...

And then everything was working as before, but so far I haven't stumbled across any of the old graphical glitches. Sleep works too, although I've only checked with a 15-minute nap.

It's a gamble right now using AMD but progress is being made and I'm grateful for that.

(Thanks to @Gigamaxx over on the Radeon Compatibility thread who walked me through the process and offered advice when things went wrong.)

Last edited:
UtterDisbelief, FYI. MultiBeast v9.2 has options to load Lilu.kext, WhatEvergreen.kext, and the WhatEvergreen app. See the MultiBeast v9.2 Features document, pages 7-8, which comes with MultiBeast v9.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back