1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Wow, thank you so much.
So what would be the best way to actually upgrade? Updating/Changing the EFI and then just installing the system upgrade?

Btw. is there a way to buy you a coffee? ;)

Forget the upgrade question...i will figure it out

Well, I just created a new USB installer stick using the "createinstallmedia" Terminal command you can find on the Ventura beta Installation page. There's a command for the release version too.

Once done I installed the EFI folder attached above, into the USB EFI partition. Then booted the installer.

If you want a totally clean Ventura system just use a new destination drive, or reformat the old (backup first!) using the Disk Utility on the install screen.

Once done just copy the same EFI folder into place on the destination drive EFI partition.

So be aware I did a fresh installation, not an upgrade. In theory just running the installer on an already existing system should not damage data, but you will need the new EFI at some point or Ventura will lock up.

The main differences between the Monterey EFI and the Ventura one are that a newer OpenCore version and kexts are needed to achieve boot. For example using the older AirportItlwm.kext will freeze Ventura.

:)

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590i Aorus Ultra
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
RX 570
top of every page has a "contribute" link :)
Actually had to search it haha.
Did a little contribution, not much, but should be enough for a coffee or two.

And @UtterDisbelief I just tried the new EFI with Monterey, but that unfortunately did not work.
Currently I am trying to upgrade directly and will swap out the EFI afterwards.

I noticed you set a specific ProcessorType (1541) in the new EFI. Is that important? Previously it was set to 0 which should be auto detect. And FullNvramAccess seems to be false now.

Will let you know if my upgrade attempt worked :D

Update:
Yep, just worked. I upgraded from Monterey, went through the setup.
It rebooted 3 times. After the 3rd time the installation crashed when it said "9 minutes remaining".
Then I changed to your new EFI and rebooted. Strangely it didnt install anymore, but now I am running 13.0.
So far everything seems to work.

Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590i Aorus Ultra - OC 0.8.0
CPU
i5-10600k
Graphics
Dell RX560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Actually had to search it haha.
Did a little contribution, not much, but should be enough for a coffee or two.

And @UtterDisbelief I just tried the new EFI with Monterey, but that unfortunately did not work.
Currently I am trying to upgrade directly and will swap out the EFI afterwards.

I noticed you set a specific ProcessorType (1541) in the new EFI. Is that important? Previously it was set to 0 which should be auto detect. And FullNvramAccess seems to be false now.

Will let you know if my upgrade attempt worked :D

Update:
Yep, just worked. I upgraded from Monterey, went through the setup.
It rebooted 3 times. After the 3rd time the installation crashed when it said "9 minutes remaining".
Then I changed to your new EFI and rebooted. Strangely it didnt install anymore, but now I am running 13.0.
So far everything seems to work.

Thanks again! :)

Glad you figured it out. :thumbup:

Looks like you have almost identical hardware so only memory and drives might have an impact, though I doubt it.

Yes, the EFI was set up specifically for Ventura and not Monterey. Mainly because, as I mentioned, the Monterey version of AirportItlmw.kext would crash Ventura and vice-versa. I could have disabled the kext and left it at that but then the EFI folder wouldn't have been been fully operational.

One thing I didn't include in the EFI/Drivers folder was "ResetNvramEntry.efi" to enable the menu entry for clearing NVRAM. Add it if you need that facility for dual-booting etc.

OpenCore 0.8.5 is still beta and as such each new version offers new, or deprecates old, settings. So for this build I started from scratch with the sample.plist, then added or removed as required. New flags and toggles appear, others go. If you feel the need for a certain setting, change what you need to etc.

Yes, you are correct, I usually use the "wildcard" ProcessorType "0" but thought for this update I'd try the standard OpenCore uses. It worked so I saw no reason to alter it. It's a setting others often miss so removing the worry seemed logical.

Thanks for your support too. :thumbup:

Motherboard
MSI Z77A-G43
CPU
i5 3550
Graphics
GTX 660Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Do you have full igpu acceleration with this 500 mobo? I'm considering to buy Z590i or B560M but without discrete GPU.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590I Aorus
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
RX 6600
Do you have full igpu acceleration with this 500 mobo? I'm considering to buy Z590i or B560M but without discrete GPU.
iGPU acceleration does not work on this board, see here for more information regarding Intel Z590 compatibility with macOS: https://dortania.github.io/hackintosh/updates/2021/04/24/rocket-lake.html

Yes, the EFI was set up specifically for Ventura and not Monterey. Mainly because, as I mentioned, the Monterey version of AirportItlmw.kext would crash Ventura and vice-versa. I could have disabled the kext and left it at that but then the EFI folder wouldn't have been been fully operational.
Seems like a great build! Having been a few months since your last revision, do you have any improvements/updates to share? Thanks!

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590i Aorus Ultra - OC 0.8.0
CPU
i5-10600k
Graphics
Dell RX560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
iGPU acceleration does not work on this board, see here for more information regarding Intel Z590 compatibility with macOS: https://dortania.github.io/hackintosh/updates/2021/04/24/rocket-lake.html

Seems like a great build! Having been a few months since your last revision, do you have any improvements/updates to share? Thanks!

Hi there. Thanks for your post.

This has been a rock-solid build. All I can add really is that Big Sur seems the best fit.

I've not had any problems with the later OSs particularly, but slightly older software and apps have been less reliable since Big Sur. YMMV.

We have to remember the latest Intel chipset Apple used was the 400-series.

:)