Contribute
Register

UtterDisbelief 12 - Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5, i3-6320 3.9ghz, Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this thread. I have the same board, but I am having some issues.

1) No audio. (Checked off ALC1150 and 100 Series Audio - no dice)

2) I can't load use the Nvidia Web drivers. I have my monitor connected (HDMI & the resolution is fixed at 1280x1024) to my GTX 750 TI and in the About This Mac it's returning 0MB - and although I have the web drivers installed, when I go to the ECC tab - all slots are shown as empty :(

3) Network port is not working.

Have not even tackled the inevitable sleep/wake issues.

Thanks for this thread. I have the same board, but I am having some issues.

1) No audio. (Checked off ALC1150 and 100 Series Audio - no dice)

2) I can't load use the Nvidia Web drivers. I have my monitor connected (HDMI & the resolution is fixed at 1280x1024) to my GTX 750 TI and in the About This Mac it's returning 0MB - and although I have the web drivers installed, when I go to the ECC tab - all slots are shown as empty :(

3) Network port is not working.

Have not even tackled the inevitable sleep/wake issues.

Hello :)

First up, let us know the rest of your components - GPU, CPU, memory HD/SSD etc and add to your profile if you can. It all helps.

Secondly, the motherboard is an excellent, reliable choice and so is the GTX750ti - if it isn't XFX branded.

To troubleshoot graphics you will probably have to check a few things, for example System Definition. I would recommend iMac14,2 as being the best.

Can you boot to the desktop without accelerated graphics?

For sound, do you see the audio in "About This Mac" - "System Report" ? If not the hardware is either off in BIOS or the Clover driver hasn't been installed from MultiBeast. I cover that in my build description etc. If the hardware shows up then the lack of sound is probably down to the output port chosen. You can check that and change it using Clover too.

Keep going, you should get a reliable machine soon enough! :)

Hi @UtterDisbelief here is by build:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
BitFenix Phenom M Arctic White MicroATX Mini Tower Case

I am using 14.2 as my system def.

I can boot to the desktop using the HDMI port out of the NVIDIA card..so I know it's working.

For audio, I finally DO see the attached entries. But I don't see the ability to select HDMI audio.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 131
The build looks like a fine machine :)

Ah right - HDMI audio needs an extra kext to be installed. It's called HDMIAudio.kext (believe it or not) You'll find it doing a search here on Tonymacx86. You might need to experiment with where you place it - S/L/E or L/E or Clover/kexts/Other etc to get it to work correctly.

I downloaded it myself to test a while ago, but I decided not to bother because there's no volume control except via the hardware the sound goes to. My monitor doesn't feature that so I use the keyboard controls and my powered speakers. (and the motherboard does feature a decent Burr-Brown chipset anyway so I choose "Internal Speakers" from the output devices.)

:)

Thanks. I am on a separate thread about the problems I am having with the video card. Maybe if I get that working it will fix the HDMI audio issue?

I can't seem to get the OS to properly recognize it. Any pointers on that since I have your attention. :)

Update: I was able to get the system to properly recognize the video card by physically moving it the first slot on my Motherboard.

Last edited:

Glad you sorted the GPU problem. I had an EVGA GTX750ti a while ago and it worked fine.

Has that helped the HDMI audio?

I read through your Graphics thread too - to help back-up settings this is what I do for each O/S upgrade etc:

Copy the entire EFI folder from the EFI partition (use EFIMounter to make it visible) to a safe place such a an external HD.
Copy the entire Library/Extensions folder to the same safe place (it's not a large folder)
Copy all new, modified kexts from the System/Library/Extensions folder to a safe place, as above.

If anything goes wrong it's then easy to copy back the above. Only slightly tricky one is the S/L/E folder because the modified kexts need to be reinstalled properly, however you can do that using KextBeast from your desktop. The other folders can just be copied back (or the necessary parts).

I have folders for each point-release of macOS - "Working 10.12.0", "Working 10.12.1", "Working 10.12.2" etc.

You can of course invest in a utility like "Carbon Copy Cloner" or "Mac Backup Guru" and just make a fully bootable copy of your entire hard drive/SSD.

It did fix my HDMI issues.

Is there a primer on KEXTs? I want to understand them better. I think my lack of understanding them properly was causing issues early on.

Glad your HDMI problem has been solved :)

I'm no expert but believe kexts are macOS equivalents of Windows certified drivers. A way to add extra functionality to the core system.

There's probably better overviews out there but Apple have a page:

https://developer.apple.com/library...EXTConcept/KEXTConceptIntro/introduction.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. I have the same mobo, previously running El Cap. I have recently done a fresh install of sierra. Everything seems to be working fine including audio and sleep/wakeup. I have a GT 730 video card with a DVI connection. So audio is not through HDMI but rather the headphone/speaker jack.

The only hiccup I had was audio. I didn't encounter problem with installing alc1150 kext using multibeast. I have read somewhere people having problem with installing kexts for 100 series and alc1150 at the same time so I ran multibeast twice to avoid potential problems and it went fine. I then ran toleda's audio_cloverALC-120.sh to set audio ID to 1. I had problem with audio after waking up, as expected. I eventually used CodecCommander 2.4.0 (August 2015) and edited the Info.plist file in the package so the alc1150 section looks like this (green text is what I added).

<key>Realtek ALC1150</key>
<dict>
<key>Custom Commands</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Command</key>
<data>
AgUABw==
</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x07</string>
<key>On Init</key>
<true/>
<key>On Sleep</key>
<true/>
<key>On Wake</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Command</key>
<data>
AgR8sA==
</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x7CB0</string>
<key>On Init</key>
<true/>
<key>On Sleep</key>
<false/>
<key>On Wake</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Command</key>
<data>AbcIgw==</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x1b SET_UNSOLICITED_ENABLE 0x83</string>
<key>On Init</key>
<false/>
<key>On Sleep</key>
<false/>
<key>On Wake</key>
<true/>
</dict>

</array>
<key>Send Delay</key>
<integer>100</integer>
<key>Sleep Nodes</key>
<false/>
<key>Update Nodes</key>
<false/>
</dict>

Attaching the modified CodecCommander 2.4.0. This version cannot be found on the link in the OP.

Attachments

• CodecCommander.kext.zip
    21.3 KB · Views: 117
Thanks for the write up. I have the same mobo, previously running El Cap. I have recently done a fresh install of sierra. Everything seems to be working fine including audio and sleep/wakeup. I have a GT 730 video card with a DVI connection. So audio is not through HDMI but rather the headphone/speaker jack.

The only hiccup I had was audio. I didn't encounter problem with installing alc1150 kext using multibeast. I have read somewhere people having problem with installing kexts for 100 series and alc1150 at the same time so I ran multibeast twice to avoid potential problems and it went fine. I then ran toleda's audio_cloverALC-120.sh to set audio ID to 1. I had problem with audio after waking up, as expected. I eventually used CodecCommander 2.4.0 (August 2015) and edited the Info.plist file in the package so the alc1150 section looks like this (green text is what I added).

<key>Realtek ALC1150</key>
<dict>
<key>Custom Commands</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Command</key>
<data>
AgUABw==
</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x07</string>
<key>On Init</key>
<true/>
<key>On Sleep</key>
<true/>
<key>On Wake</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Command</key>
<data>
AgR8sA==
</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x7CB0</string>
<key>On Init</key>
<true/>
<key>On Sleep</key>
<false/>
<key>On Wake</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Command</key>
<data>AbcIgw==</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x1b SET_UNSOLICITED_ENABLE 0x83</string>
<key>On Init</key>
<false/>
<key>On Sleep</key>
<false/>
<key>On Wake</key>
<true/>
</dict>

</array>
<key>Send Delay</key>
<integer>100</integer>
<key>Sleep Nodes</key>
<false/>
<key>Update Nodes</key>
<false/>
</dict>

Attaching the modified CodecCommander 2.4.0. This version cannot be found on the link in the OP.

Thanks for the very useful update @delingren :)

I think it goes to show that sometimes it's the little details that make all the difference.

On my build I used CodecCommander 2.4 without any edit, however I have a different GPU and CPU etc. I can't say where the difference occurred that meant your build needed the edit but it's great to have a workaround for the basic build using slightly different components. It all adds to the body of knowledge for this motherboard.

I came across @locmer 's build description yesterday where the builder used an edit to the latest version of CodecCommander and got audio wake from sleep working. True, it's a different motherboard but I will try it when I get the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back