Contribute
Register

UtterDisbelief 12 - Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5, i3-6320 3.9ghz, Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaby Lake try-out and Pascal upgrade:

Okay, so I took the plunge and updated the BIOS to the latest F20 version, pending a possible Kaby Lake upgrade.

All went very smoothly by reading:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/psa-gigabyte-f20b-bios-changes.207965/

... and taking things slowly and, I hope, logically.

1) Edited a copy of my config.plist using Clover Configurator making sure KernelPM and PatchAPIC tick-boxes were ticked as per the guide. Then saved this to my desktop. (Actually I only needed the PatchAPIC one as the other was already ticked).

2) Because I've had trouble with the 10.12.4 Sierra update I'd reverted to 10.12.3 and Clover v2.3k r3766 which is what MultiBeast 9.01 and UniBeast 7.0 use. So I moved the kexts installed into my EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder to the Library/Extensions folder by copying them to the desktop and using KextBeast to install them. Next, I upgraded Clover to v2.4k r4049 and added the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to the installed drivers64 EFI section of the Clover, Customise pane, while I was at it. It's needed for the F20 BIOS NVRam emulation changes.

Then Rebooted.

The desktop came up fine, so it was time to upgrade the BIOS from F4 to F20.

3) First I prepared an FPT Flash usb memory stick as a back-up in case anything went wrong. This just involved formatting a usb memory stick to FAT32 and copying the FPT files on to it, followed by the previous F4 BIOS renamed to bios.bin as per instructions.

4) Copied my newly modified config.plist into the EFI/EFI/CLOVER directory after renaming the original to config.old etc.

5) Rebooted and used Q-Flash to upgrade the BIOS from a USB memory stick with the new BIOS on it.

6) The system rebooted itself to complete the process and I went into the new BIOS make the usual Hackintosh changes. I saved settings and on reboot chose the F12 option to make sure I was using the correct boot drive.

Everything worked smoothly and there were no hiccups. No need to use the FPT usb stick.

Linked project:

I then installed a new Intel i3-7350k 4.2ghz Kaby Lake CPU, but unfortunately it appears to have been dead-on-arrival. I'm not 100% sure because I didn't have a second one I could test with. But I do know that putting the i3-6320 3.9ghz back in worked perfectly again. So? Faulty CPU or something else? I need feedback from other upgraders I think before I try again.

Second new project was to upgrade the Graphics to Pascal:

I know the GT740 I have is a reliable and proven solution but wanted something more modern which was also affordable. With the recent news that Pascal drivers were being released by Nvidia I took the plunge and ordered a Gigabyte GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5. It's probably the base model in the line and doesn't need an extra power cable.

Initially I installed it in my PC and ran Windows 10 to check it was all working - after my problems with the Kaby Lake i3 above.

I have to say it's a very nice card. The included Windows Gigabyte utilities allow changing the cooling fan curve. The default is to stay turned off until 60-degrees-C, so totally silent until then. Even so, when it does come on it "pulses" in what they call "3D". All very new to me. I adjusted the fan curve to come on from 40-degrees-C to keep the insides of my case cooler.

The worrying part was taking the plunge and booting macOS. I fully expected a black-screen boot and the need to disable the new card, boot from iGPU, install the latest drivers and then see what was what. However I tried a test boot just in case ... And the system booted up in non-accelerated mode without any problems!

To do this I added, -x , to my Clover command-line, and although I'm not sure it works any more, nv_disable=1, too, just in case.

Once running I realised the new Pascal NvidiaWeb drivers will only work for macOS 10.12.4 , so I had to run the update again. Once done I installed the drivers and rebooted. Everything was fine, but still no acceleration. So I checked my config.plist and for some reason the SystemParameters NvidiaWeb key had gone (not sure how or when) I edited it back in and rebooted ...

All up and running fine with acceleration! Oh, and very quietly!

Bear in mind mine is the cheapest, slowest GTX 1050 but the drivers still work!

As I write this it's a very quiet room. Just the PSU fan to be heard. The data HD has spun down, the CPU's Noctua is as quiet as ever and the GPU fan is off (yes, it's cold here today!)

So plus-one, minus-one. I'd like to explore another Kaby-Lake CPU but will wait for more feedback on this site from others trying the same. The 7350k has obviously gone back for credit.
:)

Last edited:
Try the new F21 Bios update, it has a V Core adjustment. You never know.. regarding your "dead" CPU.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

Didn't know there was an F21 - obviously I haven't checked since it came out in March.

Good call :)

Side note (off topic): my multi-boot Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5 board has had a recent device error when running latest (non-Insider) Win 10 x64 version 1703 build 15063.138. The device "USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)" shows in the (lower right) Task Bar as a removable device, when it should not. Windows 8.1 x64 & Windows 7 x64 booting on the same hardware does not show that item as a removable device.

Hi there :)

Just checked my own Windows 10 x64 but seem to still be at version 1607 - last updated 12th April - so perhaps the error is happening since?

My Device Manager is showing 2x USB Root Hubs (xHCI) and a Generic Hub, along with the Intel controllers. There's no USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) showing anywhere. Aside from the motherboard USB ports there's a hub on my Apple wired keyboard but they are probably USB 2.0 anyway.

Nothing showing in the System Tray.

Sorry I can't offer any guidance on the issue. Any other devices attached to your PC?

Any luck?

Hi there :)

Well the CPU went back so I've not tried F21 yet. Before I re-order I was watching to see what other upgraders reported but so far haven't seen a 7th gen CPU in a 6th gen motherboard. Most seem to have gone for a Z270 too etc.

Quick (Important) Update:

I'd only upgraded the BIOS to F20 so I could try a new Kaby Lake CPU. As this hadn't worked and I've seen no-one else try this upgrade for feedback, I decided to stick with the Skylake CPU I have.

Interestingly, after my previous posts I discovered that Sleep was broken with an immediate bounce awake etc.

Gave the problem a lot of thought and realised this has only occurred since the F20 BIOS update and a new GPU.

I took my time and to isolate this I checked all previous setting changes, just in case I'd accidentally modified a prior setting by mistake. Nope.

(By the way, the Z170MX Gaming 5 board does not have a BIOS entry specifically called Wake-on-Lan, which was my initial thought. Neither F4 or F20).

I decided to take the risk and downgrade the BIOS to F4. To do this I had to use the FPT DOS utility as you can't use Gigabyte's Q-Flash to do it.

I used the often mentioned Windows-only "Rufus" USB Boot Disk creator to create a FAT32 FreeDOS booting stick and then copied the F4 BIOS file onto it, renaming it bios.bin. I didn't copy all the FPT boot files over. I ignored the Boot folder and copied only the Autoexec.bat of the system files. Then the fpt.exe and fparts.txt files. (Otherwise I discovered the Gigabyte would not boot the stick).

All downgraded perfectly and I'm back at F4 BIOS.

Wake-From-Sleep now works perfectly again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back