Contribute
Register

Using Unibeast to install on MacPro 1,1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i5-650
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Centris
  5. iMac
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am one of the curious ones out there. But, I couldn't help but wonder if there would be a way to get Mountain Lion on my MacPro 1,1 providing I get a GPU from a 2010 model MacPro so it does not stop at the 64bit GPU check. My guess is one could customize a Unibeast install enough to make it work. I have seen a few articles already doing the same things Unibeast does in a more manual form using an "Extra" folder and Chameleon. Could there be possibly an alternate version of Unibeast for us Mac users who have been dropped off of the list of "compatible Macs". A similar thing had been done for users of older PowerPC Macs to enable them to run OS X.

Hey jack ass, before you blast my post in here how about you actually look at the process that was defined in that "how-to" to which the article has the link to. Chameleon is part of Unibeast, and does roughly the same thing in there as it does in that tutorial. The manual configurations in the process are what one had to do before the advent of tonymacx86's process which simplified everything dow to a simple install. I am only asking if there was a way to get Mountain Lion to boot on an original MacPro. From looking at the process, knowing what needs to be done such as installing the graphics card which is compatible and then fooling the installer with Chameleon to think it is 64bit it is not much of a stretch to think a process could come about for the MacPro. The whole key to the process is the GPU because there is no way to fake that part of the install.

I looked at the other boards and this was the only board it seemed to fit the best. If you would look at my signature I already have two successful Hackintoshes running perfectly so look before you decide to "put your knowledge up".

Any traction on this front?

I had tried unibeast to install 10.8.? on a MacPro 1,1 using at ATI 3870 upgrade with no success. I'm able to activate the legacy boot mode but it seems like there's some check that's failing prior to the installer loading. I get a circle with a line through it as if the machine can't boot anything.

So I tried the manual method described here:
http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47

Using that, I'm able to get to legacy boot to select the OS 10.8 install partition but the graphics (with ATI 3870) after that are completely garbled. I think it has something to do with the DSDT that's part of the site's download.

I have an Apple 5770 that I borrowed from another machine just to see if I can get this working.
I tried Unibeast first - still no go.

I'll provide updates if I can get this working using the manual method.

As with you, I don't see why manually editing the files is in any way different from Unibeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back