Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO
CPU
i5-4670K OC 4.5 GHz
Graphics
GTX 780, HD 530
Maximus VI HERO Z87 motherboard here.

Interested in getting a NVME SSD for hackintosh and the motherboard doesn't have native m.2 slot.

So if i use a NVME SSD with a PCI-E adapter, would i run into any sort of problems?

Also, according to the manual, if i install the adapter on the second PCI E 3.0 X16 slot, both the first(which the GPU sits in) and the second PCI E 3.0 X16 slot becomes X8.

Should i be concerned about this? Should i instead put the adapter in the PCI E 2.0 X4 slot?

You should have no problem using the NVMe with a PCIe adapter. I did this before myself and I used it on the 1st slot and used my GPU in the 3rd slot because my 2nd slot was PCIe x1 and I hooked up my wifi/bt adapter in that one. I had no problems with the GPU either. I was using a z97 board at the time.

i am assuming your 1st and 3rd slots are PCI E 3.0 x16 ?

i am assuming your 1st and 3rd slots are PCI E 3.0 x16 ?

Check to see if you need to update your motherboard bios for NVME compatibility. I used a 970 evo in the X4 slot and still had 16 lanes for graphics. The evo only ran at 1500 and 750 but it is still faster than a 500 500 speed ssd.

It looks z87 motherboard cannot boot from NVME drives.

Is this a windows issue or is this also true for hackintosh? Does Clover solve this issue?

Is this a windows issue or is this also true for hackintosh? Does Clover solve this issue?

@Stork may have some input on this issue. There may be some clover NVME drivers but I’m not sure. It may be dependent on mobo model and bios availability.

The Z87 motherboards did not have the BIOS to support booting from NVMe drives. I had to use a modified BIOS for my Z77X to boot into a NVMe drive.

I got my BIOS from this post which also gives the reference for modifying a BIOS for NVMe support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back