Graphics
RX6800-XT+UHD630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sigh ..... seems Apple is now forcing APFS on us even more than it did with the initial release of Mojave

When I initially updated High Sierra to Mojave I did it on a clone of my NVMe system drive, I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the updated APFS Mojave system back on to my HFS+ formatted system drive.

All worked fine until now ...

Seems that the 10.14.1 update wont allow an update if the target 10.14.0 system drive is HFS+ formatted.

Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 13.31.59.png
I'm going to re-clone my NVMe HFS+ 10.14.0 system to an external APFS drive and do the update on that and then see if I can clone it back onto a HFS+ system drive.

Will report on success or failure in a few hours ...

Thanks Apple ....

Cheers
Jay

Update: See post #6 for success with HFS+

Last edited:
Sigh ..... seems Apple is now forcing APFS on us even more than it did with the initial release of Mojave

When I initially updated High Sierra to Mojave I did it on a clone of my NVMe system drive, I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the updated APFS Mojave system back on to my HFS+ formatted system drive.

All worked fine until now ...

Seems that the 10.14.1 update wont allow an update if the target 10.14.0 system drive is HFS+ formatted.

View attachment 362155
I'm going to re-clone my NVMe HFS+ 10.14.0 system to an external APFS drive and do the update on that and then see if I can clone it back onto a HFS+ system drive.

Thanks Apple ....

Cheers
Jay

I think Apple wants people to use APFS.
I've been running several systems on APFS/10.14[.1] without issue.
Other than the normal boot delay caused by fsck/TRIM, ... but how often do you boot?

Thanks Apple ....

Cheers
Jay

Why though? I have been running APFS for a year now and it's rock solid.

I think Apple wants people to use APFS.
I've been running several systems on APFS/10.14[.1] without issue.
Other than the normal boot delay caused by fsck/TRIM, ... but how often do you boot?

I hear you man ....

But the 1TB NVMe on my Laptop has many partitions on it ....

Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 14.38.56.png

In addition to MacOS I use Windows 10 and Linux and a few data partitions, i'm paranoid that APFS will screw it up having read posts from users loosing some or even all data on NVMe drives with multiple partitions and file systems.

NVME Device = Samsung PM61 MZVLW1T0HMLH-000H1

I've never had an issue with HFS+ so i kind of want to stick with what i know works ....

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Why though? I have been running APFS for a year now and it's rock solid.
I wasn't as lucky as you did. Back on 10.13.x, APFS was installed, and corrupted my drive. (Disk Utility saw errors which it couldn't fix.) I reinstalled. A few weeks later, AGAIN, corrupted my drive the same way. I then reinstalled with old FS, and no problem since. I just don't trust APFS on hackintosh. (I do on my MacBook Pro, though.)

Hi All,

Further to my last post I'm happy to report that MacOS Mojave 10.14.1 runs perfectly fine on HFS+ formatted system drive :-

Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 17.18.29.png

Before starting I updated Lilu, WhatEverGreen and AppleALC to the latest versions released two days ago

I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my existing Mojave 10.14 HFS+ system onto a APFS formatted external USB-C SSD, installed the 10.14.1 update on it and then re-cloned the updated MacOS Mojave system back on to my laptops NVMe HFS+ MacOS partition.

All working fine .... no problems with the update itself ..

I just wish Apple would give users a choice of which file system to use rather than enforcing APFS on us.

Cheers
Jay

View attachment 362155

Thanks Apple ....

Cheers
Jay

I have the same error message but my drive IS formatted as APFS.
I only have Clover and 10.14.0 on the drive, my Windows 10 is on a completely different drive.
I also have a CCC copy on an external SSD also formatted as APFS and it won't let me install on that either. Hmmmmm

I have the same error message but my drive IS formatted as APFS.
I only have Clover and 10.14.0 on the drive, my Windows 10 is on a completely different drive.
I also have a CCC copy on an external SSD also formatted as APFS and it won't let me install on that either. Hmmmmm

@Ploddles,

Although similar the error displayed on your post is not the same as the error I posted.

Your error says :-

"This Volume does not meet the requirements for this update"

Where as my error was :-

"This Mac can only install macOS on APFS-formatted drives"

My error was very specific, your error is not.

Is your system registered with the Mojave Beta program ?, if so try un-subscribing form it, there are a few real Mac owners reporting the same error running the 10.14.1 update on the Apple forums and it was because their systems where registered with the Beta program.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey My mistake, I just glanced at the screenshot you posted and it looked the same as mine. I should have looked closer, doh!!
I was registered with the Beta program about a year ago but was sure I had unregistered. I'll have another look.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards.

Hi All,

Further to my last post I'm happy to report that MacOS Mojave 10.14.1 runs perfectly fine on HFS+ formatted system drive :-

View attachment 362205

Before starting I updated Lilu, WhatEverGreen and AppleALC to the latest versions released two days ago

I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my existing Mojave 10.14 HFS+ system onto a APFS formatted external USB-C SSD, installed the 10.14.1 update on it and then re-cloned the updated MacOS Mojave system back on to my laptops NVMe HFS+ MacOS partition.

All working fine .... no problems with the update itself ..

I just wish Apple would give users a choice of which file system to use rather than enforcing APFS on us.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for your report. It seems that you will be required to do this again to keep using HFS on Mojave for any future Mojave OS updates. Will Apple change Mojave in the future updates so that it will no longer boot on HFS volumes? Please keep this updated.

I will wait until the last update for Mojave (10.14.6?) to try Mojave then, haha. Like you, I would want to avoid APFS on my system for as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back