Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone,

I have recently been looking into using Apple SSD's in a hackintosh build for native support and trim. I have found these options to convert the proprietary connector to pcie.

Option #1:
OWC
PCIe SSD Expansion Card
Mfr P/N: PCIEA13SSDOWC SKU: OWCPCIEA13SSD
owcpciea13ssd_gall4.jpg

Works with SSD's from:

• iMac 21.5-inch (Late 2013)
    • iMac 21.5-inch (Mid 2014)
    • iMac 27-inch (Late 2013)
    • iMac w/ Retina 5K display (Late 2014)
    • Mac mini (Late 2014)
    • MacBook Air 11-inch (Mid 2013)
    • MacBook Air 13-inch (Mid 2013)
    • MacBook Air 11-inch (Early 2014)
    • MacBook Air 13-inch (Early 2014)
    • MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display 13-inch (Late 2013)
    • MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display 15-inch (Late 2013)
    • MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display 13-inch (Mid 2014)
    • MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display 15-inch (Mid 2014)
    • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Option #2:
Sintech 28pin Macbook SSD As M.2 PCIe Adapter
415fng421jL.jpg

I trust the OWC adapter more and it appears to be bootable under macos only, however M.2 would be nice but I don't know about bootability of that one. Has anyone else tried these and what is everyones opinion on these?

Cheers!

I have used the Sintech adaptor in the past with a 512GB SSUBX. It worked fine and was bootable.

The reason why I even had the SSUBX was because I had been using it with a PCI-e adaptor (not from OWC) in my old MacPro5,1. After I built my hackintosh, I transplanted the SSD to my hack.

I used it this way for a few months before selling it and switching to a Samsung SM951 AHCI. Performance was pretty much identical and didn't require an adaptor. This means it sat more flush with the motherboard and allowed me to add a heatsink to the SSD to help prevent overheating/throttling.

Speaking as person who has tried both, I would choose the SM951 AHCI over using an adaptor with an Apple SSD. There was absolutely no advantage to using the Apple SSD. The SM951 AHCI has proven to be extremely compatible with Macs. Do a search in the macrumors.com Mac Pro sub-forum and you will easily find hundreds of success stories from people using it dating back several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back