Contribute
Register

Using a Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface...HELP

Hey there,

I saw you referenced my earlier post regarding my Z390 Designare Build and getting the Quantum to work. All I did was follow CaseySJ's instructions. How can I help?
I think I got it going now. Although I think I did it at the expense of hardware acceleration with the iGPU. Also, I think FakeSMC was giving me the KP at boot. I now use VirtualSMC without issues. If nothing else I'd like to get a view into the contents of your EFI folder. The combination of kexts/Other + Library/Extensions + config.plist settings are somehow working in some cases and not in other cases. I can't seem to pinpoint exactly why. I am currently running AptioMemoryFix-64.efi in place of the usual OSXAptiofix3Drv-64 that @shatterhenner suggested or the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in conjunction with slide=0 which was an absolute must according to @CaseySJ OP here.

What's interesting is that you used his instructions to get your Presonus going, whereas I was unsuccessful with the VRS8. I know we're talking about two different products, but both seem to require memory within the first 256 of contiguous memory space, hence the discussion in this thread.

As it stands right now I have the following:
BIOS
VT-d > enabled
iGPU > disabled

Thunderbolt Memory
  • Reserved Memory → 737
  • Reserved PMemory → 1184
Clover Boot flags:
  • -v
  • keepsyms=1
  • darkwake=0
  • debug=0x100
  • -disablefixfirmware
  • slide=0

SMBIOS
iMac 19,1 (using 18,3 board ID - otherwise it won't boot due to "incompatibility")

Last edited:
I have it working without issues on my Z390 Designare with i9-9900k. In fact my UAD Apollo Twin MK2 seems to disconnect from time to time and a simple flip of the power switch on the UAD seems to bring it back to life, whereas this problem is non-existent on the VRS-8.

Just to check in... today I updated to latest Universal Control and thus latest thunderbolt driver. This obviously broke the fix we created for the last one. But adding the same code to current driver fixed it again.

I wonder if I should write to presonus re this issue? i Suppose it’s a Hackintosh only issue...

Tested it with Thunderbolt and ran for a few days but currently using PCIE card.
Hi, I'm new to this Forum and new pretty much to all this information, I don't own a Hackintosh but I've been "upgrading" my 2010 12 Cores Mac Pro 5,1 and its running Mojave now (unsupported). I need help with the VRS8!!!!! I've been reading this thread for a bit and found out some of you have been able to run the VRS8 thru PCI card on Mac OS please!!!! I'm gonna start reading the thread back from the beginning, I don't really now how to program but I have some basic understanding and now how to follow instructions!! thank so much for any help, will be very welcome

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to this Forum and new pretty much to all this information, I don't own a Hackintosh but I've been "upgrading" my 2010 12 Cores Mac Pro 5,1 and its running Mojave now (unsupported). I need help with the VRS8!!!!! I've been reading this thread for a bit and found out some of you have been able to run the VRS8 thru PCI card on Mac OS please!!!! I'm gonna start reading the thread back from the beginning, I don't really now how to program but I have some basic understanding and now how to follow instructions!! thank so much for any help, will be very welcome
I don't recall if anything needed to be done to get the PCIe card to work.
Comments about the info.plist #32
Instructions to modify info.plist #47
More notes about the info.plist #83 #86
Modified kext (modified info.plist) #157

The original driver (VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface Driver : VRS8 Audio Driver : VRS8 v1.03 (macOS) is at https://www.slatedigital.com/installers/ It has not changed since #157.

I don't recall if the modified info.plist is required to make the PCI card work but it at least cleans up some of the log messages. First try the driver unmodified. If it doesn't work, then try the modified kext. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

The original driver (VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface Driver : VRS8 Audio Driver : VRS8 v1.03 (macOS) is at https://www.slatedigital.com/installers/ It has not changed since #157.

I don't recall if the modified info.plist is required to make the PCI card work but it at least cleans up some of the log messages. First try the driver unmodified. If it doesn't work, then try the modified kext. Let us know how it goes.
The PCIe card worked ONLY after the issue with memory allocation was addressed. Basically I had to get thunderbolt to work in order to get the PCIe card to work. On a z390 Designaire, which has onboard Titan Ridge chipset and 2 thunderbolt ports, I had to scrap FakeSMC and replace with VirtualSMC. I'm not sure how the issue with VRAM is going to be addressed on a real Mac Pro without "hackintoshing" it as one would in order to implement Thunderbolt. The single biggest reason that turns people away from running Thunderbolt on a real 2012 Mac Pro is that you have to wake up that same Thunderbolt driver in Windows using Bootcamp and then soft boot into macOS for it to function. The moment you disconnect your machine from power or do a regular shutdown, you have to boot into Windows and initialize the TH3 card again before soft booting into macOS again.

This link may be helpful: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...th-thunderbolt-the-impossible-is-now-possible

Hi Joevt, thank you so much for the info i'm gonna start checking it, I must say I have no experience what so ever coding or anything like but I'm willing to learn. I'll do my best, if anything I'll let you know.

The PCIe card worked ONLY after the issue with memory allocation was addressed. Basically I had to get thunderbolt to work in order to get the PCIe card to work. On a z390 Designaire, which has onboard Titan Ridge chipset and 2 thunderbolt ports, I had to scrap FakeSMC and replace with VirtualSMC. I'm not sure how the issue with VRAM is going to be addressed on a real Mac Pro without "hackintoshing" it as one would in order to implement Thunderbolt. The single biggest reason that turns people away from running Thunderbolt on a real 2012 Mac Pro is that you have to wake up that same Thunderbolt driver in Windows using Bootcamp and then soft boot into macOS for it to function. The moment you disconnect your machine from power or do a regular shutdown, you have to boot into Windows and initialize the TH3 card again before soft booting into macOS again.

This link may be helpful: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...th-thunderbolt-the-impossible-is-now-possible

Hi luckyal I don't mind the "hackintoshing" part, I mean mine is a 5,1 2010 Running Mojave 10.14.6 with a Saphire Pulse RX580 MVC modified GPU and a second hard drive running Windows 10 Pro (NO BOOTCAMP) an NVME via PCI running MAC OS so at a certain level it is already somehow hacked or not supported anymore, also I'd rather connect the VRS8 via HDMI. Yesterday I spent the whole day reading almost this whole thread, I think I got the general idea but I have to confess some parts where like Japanese to me, I'm still not clear on the Step by Step way of proceeding, but I'll figure it out. Thank you so much both for your help! really appreciate it

Back