Contribute
Register

Using a Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface...HELP

I have an Nvidia graphics card, so I won't be switching to Mojave for a while.

I have an Nvidia graphics card, so I won't be switching to Mojave for a while.
Ditto. Slaughter it’s usually advisable to stay one OS behind in the music world. And especially in the music/hackintosh world. A year is normally enough time for compatibility quirks to be ironed out.

I would always advise having two system drives anyway. A main, and a backup. Then you can at least experiment with Mojave and still have a stable tested OS ie HS.

@Mixerjack that is such a good idea, I never thought of it until now... ideally then I'd have one system drive set up with Sierra and one with Mojave. The trick then will be to find GPU etc which suit both (so not NVIDIA for me). I'm liaising with a builder for this potential workstation, hence the research...

@Mixerjack that is such a good idea, I never thought of it until now... ideally then I'd have one system drive set up with Sierra and one with Mojave. The trick then will be to find GPU etc which suit both (so not NVIDIA for me). I'm liaising with a builder for this potential workstation, hence the research...
Also my advice is to build it yourself. Any problems that arise in the future you will be well equipped to deal with. If someone else builds it, you won’t have experience with troubleshooting...

@Mixerjack I see the logic in this, but not possible for me - it's really a choice between no hackintosh or possible hackintosh - simply because of working hours and life!

Well do so at your own risk. If you don’t the time to build it, then when things go wrong you will be at the mercy of the person helping you. I wouldn’t advise this for a professional computer.

There you go. :) I now have a working VRS8 and it didn't seem to break anything. Though that remains to be seen. No USB problems, but I already had a custom USBMap.kext.

I'm so happy! Thank you @joevt !!! And thanks @luckyal

I somehow missed the not dropping DMAR step because it wasn't on @luckyal list. I'm sure it was in the discussion, but even though I've read this thread again and again, I somehow missed it. I actually had it on, because I read that having it might prevent some issues with Vt-d. In this case it caused an issue. :lol:

So
  1. Enable VT-d from BIOS (there's no VT-x setting in Gigabyte z390 BIOS to disable VT-x separately that I know of)
  2. Enable above 4G decoding from BIOS
  3. Remove dart=0 from Clover congig.plist (if you have it there)
  4. Don't drop DMAR table (again in the Clover config.plist)
No need to modify VRS8AudioDriver.kext.

I'm beyond elated!

So I followed this to a T and it just boots to a blank screen after the loading screen - and I have included my config file and am currently on 10.11.6 and I am connecting to the VRS8 via the PCIE. If you could give me any advice, I'd love that! Trying to use this paperweight without shifting to a Windows system!

Attachments

• config.plist
    6 KB · Views: 210
  • Mac Pro.txt
    6 MB · Views: 2,146
Last edited:
Well, don't feel too bad. Whether VRS8 works or not is completely random. A few things I'm struggling with are:

1. If you don't turn computer and VRS8 on at the same time, you won't be able to get VRS8 to do the handshake and there will be no connection until you restart the computer. I don't know if this is a feature or a bug. Forcing the kext to reload doesn't seem to help. Only a restart helps.

2. You need to start the VRS8 helper panel manually at the startup, or the channel settings aren't in effect until you do.

3. And the worst one which is making me bang my head against the wall, Logic Pro X can find the channel input signal only 5% of the times you try. So you might need to restart the computer and VRS8 95 times, before Logic suddenly sees the signal. I'm not sure if this is a Mojave feature or an awesome VRS8 feature. I know in Mojave you need to grant Logic Pro X a permission to access the mic, but that doesn't help anything. Maybe you should also be able to grant VRS8 an access to the mic (lol), but there's no way to do that. It seems that even though Logic Pro X kinda sees VRS8, it isn't properly connecting with it.

And it's been quite a while since Slate updated their driver considering how many problems there are... So all and all, I can't recommend this interface to anyone with a hackintosh, or a will to live. :lol:

Hey Guys...another success Story, at least on my Dell9020. The VRS8 is working flawlessly with the PCI Card installed.
Guess what, even with Dart=0 enabled. Vt-D is activated and i installed the alternative OSXAptiofix3Drv-64 to get it working.
Seems like the different Aptiofix managed something with the memory allocation at boot...

No luck on my X299 Board so far...we need a better driver. Joevt any suggestions for the x299 boards?!?!

thanx

I thought Dart=0 disables Vt-D...

Back