Contribute
Register

Using a Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface...HELP

No need to post that. We all have the same extensions. Just wanted to show that Local-Root is one of the options for OSBundleRequired. The list of possibilities from that output is:

Console
Local-Root
Network-Root
Root
Safe Boot

After reading carefully and thinking about it, I understood what you meant. Tried all of them on the plist without success. How many times must a man rebuild a kext cache, before you call him a man. :lol: But it's ok. I'm sure someone is really close with a solution, at least I hope so. And if not, it has holes in it. Maybe I'll throw some seeds on it and grow grass.

After reading carefully and thinking about it, I understood what you meant. Tried all of them on the plist without success. How many times must a man rebuild a kext cache, before you call him a man. :lol: But it's ok. I'm sure someone is really close with a solution, at least I hope so. And if not, it has holes in it. Maybe I'll throw some seeds on it and grow grass.
Have you tried using the kext I attached to on of the posts last week?

Have you tried using the kext I attached to on of the posts last week?

Yes. Tried it all. It's a no go. Such a bummer, but what can you do.

Last edited:
With the pcie card. I don't have ioreg because I don't have xcode installed (I read somewhere it could break something), but IOJones says IOPP pci1412,1712@1 and pci1412,1724@0

I get one click and the flash of lights, but not the next handshake that is needed. Maybe it's an Asus vs Gigabyte thing... Gigabyte has less BIOS settings. And I've tried all combinations.

Steven Slate's comment on the Slate Audiophiles facebook wall is hilarious "Unfortunately guys we cannot create a driver for a hackintosh and will continue to focus on Mac Thunderbolt and PC PCIe"

He's completely clueless. First of all, he has promised both pci and thunderbolt for both pc and Mac. So now that everyone has bought an interface, he's backtracking and spouting this BS. The guys there are trying to explain to him that it's not hackintosh, it's the driver and he has left the building. So abandon all hope when it comes to Slate doing anything to fix the issue. The world is full of studios with hackintoshes and he's snubbing them. Not a very smart move.

I love how some guys are bringing these driver issues up on the Gearslutz forum and suddenly a slow thread starts to have "Well my VRS8 is working beautifully" messages from people.

Last edited:
Their tech is broken 1990's PCI (not PCIe) that requires 2000's IOMMU/dart tech to unbreak it. They can't fix their driver. We have to fix Hackintosh (either get IOMMU/dart to work, or reserve physical memory before it gets fragmented).

I'm thinking... Is @luckyal pci card working because he has the thunderbolt working too? Is it the thunderbolt that's making the required handshake and after that the connection is also seen through the pci card? Or is it just coincidence? Maybe that was a dumb question. And are you saying the broken tech thing is only about the pcie card and that thunderbolt doesn't have that same limitation? Though I remember you already telling earlier in the thread that they basically make the connection the same way, so I guess that couldn't be the issue then.

I'm thinking... Is @luckyal pci card working because he has the thunderbolt working too? Is it the thunderbolt that's making the required handshake and after that the connection is also seen through the pci card? Or is it just coincidence? Maybe that was a dumb question. And are you saying the broken tech thing is only about the pcie card and that thunderbolt doesn't have that same limitation? Though I remember you already telling earlier in the thread that they basically make the connection the same way, so I guess that couldn't be the issue then.
luckyal got his to work by not disabling dart (remove "dart=0" from boot-args) but that causes problems on hackintosh.

Both Thunderbolt and the PCIe card use the same PCIe device which is located inside the VRS8. The PCIe card has no PCIe devices on it - it sends a PCIe signal from the PCIe slot over HDMI cable to the PCIe device in the VRS8. The PCIe device in the VRS8 is just a PCIe to PCI bridge to the VRS8 PCI devices.

Hey all, just to chime in here. Just bought the quantum for its blitzingly fast latency and studio one integration. Alas it does not work with my hack... works fine with windows and the hack can hotplug thunderbolt no problem. Designare x299.

Have briefly read through this post but will bring my hack home at some point to try some of the suggestions/methods. Just from reading, i presume the problem with the slate interface is in a similar realm to the quantum issue?

Have had great help on this forum before in the past, when I was well ready to give up! Normally at that stage a breakthrough happens...

Im actually considering using windows :-/

Will get my clover out ASAP and report back, just letting ya’ll know there’s another out here trying to get this going.

Back