Contribute
Register

Using a Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface...HELP

Update:

MOTU, RME, Focusrite, UA ( universal Audio ) will work with hackintosh TB. NO Presonus. It's the driver software. They do not support non Mac hardware. You would have to write your own drivers. So if you want TB audio, and a mackintosh...do not get Presonus.

I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro now so I am keeping the unit. Selling off my hacks. I'm thinking I might even go iMac Pro...that thing is a beast..tested out a unit...NASTY!

Update:

MOTU, RME, Focusrite, UA ( universal Audio ) will work with hackintosh TB. NO Presonus. It's the driver software. They do not support non Mac hardware. You would have to write your own drivers. So if you want TB audio, and a mackintosh...do not get Presonus.

I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro now so I am keeping the unit. Selling off my hacks. I'm thinking I might even go iMac Pro...that thing is a beast..tested out a unit...NASTY!
Thunderbolt devices are just PCIe devices. Their drivers should work unless they're going out of their way (making it difficult for themselves) to make them not work. It might be a simple fix to get around that. Use "ioreg -l -w0" to see if the device exists. Use kextstat to see if a driver loaded. Use "kextload -v 6" or kextutil to see why a driver doesn't load. Examine the info.plist for weird matching criteria. Use log command to see what happens when you kextload or run their app. Might need to examine the code to see if they're looking for Thunderbolt stuff (Thunderbolt specific properties in the ioregistry, or in the system_profiler command output).

using ioreg, the device doesn't show up in the list in terminal.
What about the Clover boot log?

I looked at the Quantum kernel extension quantum_driver.kext. It uses IONameMatch with pci1c67,101 for Quantum1 and pci1c67,102 for Quantum2. One of those devices need to appear in the UEFI pci device list, Clover boot log, Windows Device Manager, macOS IORegistry. Get that to work, then the driver should be able to load. So, first make it appear in Windows, then reboot into MacOS. It should still be there.

I dont dual boot anymore. But windows woukd see it no problem. I deleted my windows partition after i got it to work in windows aince I cant stand that os anymore.

Clover boot log is located in sys library?

I dont dual boot anymore. But windows woukd see it no problem. I deleted my windows partition after i got it to work in windows aince I cant stand that os anymore.
Windows is required to get Thunderbolt working (or it helps to get Thunderbolt working). It's also useful for BIOS updates and other stuff. If a Thunderbolt PCI device is not appearing in EFI, then you need to check it in Windows.
Clover boot log is located in sys library?
It's in the EFI partition at /EFI/CLOVER/misc
The file is either preboot.log or debug.log. The log contains a section "=== [ GetDevice ] ===" that lists the found PCI devices. The last boot starts at the last line that says "MemLog inited".

Never had to use Windows to get TB working before. Under W10, it works fine though. Other TB devices worked in osx without any windows help on my Z170 board. No flashing, no nothing required. But I did have to do that on the windows side to get the persons to work.

But I'll do another windows drive and see what happens.

So I just got my iMac and while Its awesome, the Mac and mostly the interface...do NOT get a Mac with a fusion drive...drops outs in audio and video. Thankfully the 2015 iMac can be upgraded, 64gb ddr3, new cpu 6700k from my hack and both nvme and ssd.

Update on this? Anyone ever get Quantum or Quantum 2 working on a Hackintosh? I'm not finding any who has successfully got this working after lots of searching.

My Quantum runs great on Windows partition and also on my Macbook Pro but no luck with my Hackintosh. Before I sell this card was wanted to check if anyone had any luck.

I sold my quantum–never got it to work. I got the clarett 8pre which has had some difficulties being recognized when the firmware needs to be updated, but otherwise works and sounds great.

Back