Contribute
Register

Using a Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface...HELP

hi solved by reverting to the first driver that supports bigsur. however on catalina i could use latest drivers.

Sorry to bump this thread again. anyone using with Moneterey? Is it working? Quantum working? my 2626 does not work.

OK I finally found the soultion.
I think after uc version 3.5x they made some changed to thunderbolt driver version. what I did to make it work in Monterey was first install the driver uc 3.5x or 3.4 I don't remember exactly. then just install latest uc software do not check the driver upgrade and boom...it works on bigSur and Monterey. However I did update firmware version matching the UC version on Catalina as well as windows will do so I did not get firmware upgrade warning.

I did open new thread in Monterey support just incase.
HI y'all yes I'd like to chime in and ask @hotbullet2121 about choppy.... Choppy? Are we experiencing the same thing?
I got this to work in BigSur - PreSonus 2626 system sees it, connects and shows up in control panel to chose as an audio device. I don't really know how I got it to work; I tossed all this thread at it.
It runs under Catalina fine - but I need to run under Big Sur OR Monterey for some work compatibility issues.

Choppy equals: So in Big Sur it plays audio but ch - op - py - a - bi - it - at - a -ti -ime like on-off-in-out
Dang. I'm not any programmer, i can barely figure out to run these script/code things but hey, at least I got it this far.

What can I try next? I did notice that Big Sur and PreSonus installs things differently than before like when this thread started, so there's that observation.

Wondering if the PreSonus installer (latests) and the way Big Sur / Monterey install being different - the sip/permissions or whatever is causing the prob.
Because it never asks me to allow/approve changes in Privacy Setting - I have to fiddle with command lines to make it do that. It also does not install quantum_driver.kext in Library/Extensions - I put it there and run commands.
I saw on PreSonus this:
where if you scroll down it show the install paths - it appears Big Sur deals with drivers differently - so I think we are not getting it to install correctly.
Would installing manually work?

If it helps bump this thread along:
Mac Pro 5,1
Titan Ridge 3 flashed
OpenCore (currently from the Titan Ridge guy 0.7.6 #1 install)
I am using the same OC for both boots -[I am willing to try a different OC but I don't think that is the issue]

In Big Sur, we don't have access to the root directory / so we need to modify the commands that use that directory.
First, remove the mount command because Big Sur won't allow us to mount the root directory as writable.
Make a temporary directory, to copy the kext to.
Also, in Big Sur, we can't install to /System/Library/Extensions so might as well remove that.
kextload and kextcache are probably useless in Big Sur too.

Code:
[ -d ~/presonus ] || mkdir ~/presonus
cd ~/presonus
curl -s 'https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/dmg/Universal_Control_3_1_1_54569.dmg' > Universal_Control_3_1_1_54569.dmg
hdiutil attach Universal_Control_3_1_1_54569.dmg
pkgutil --expand-full /Volumes/PreSonus\ Universal\ Control/PreSonus\ Universal\ Control.pkg PreSonus\ Universal\ Control
cp -R PreSonus\ Universal\ Control/TB\ Audio\ Driver.pkg/Payload/Library/Extensions/quantum_driver.kext quantum_driver.kext
plutil  -insert 'IOKitPersonalities.Quantum1.IOPCITunnelled' -bool true quantum_driver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
plutil  -insert 'IOKitPersonalities.Quantum2.IOPCITunnelled' -bool true quantum_driver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
plutil  -insert 'IOKitPersonalities.Quantum2626.IOPCITunnelled' -bool true quantum_driver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
plutil  -insert 'IOKitPersonalities.Quantum4848.IOPCITunnelled' -bool true quantum_driver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

tempdir="$(maketemp -d)"
sudo cp -R quantum_driver.kext "$tempdir/quantum_driver.kext"
cd "$tempdir"
sudo chown -R root:wheel quantum_driver.kext
sudo find quantum_driver.kext -type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} \;
sudo find quantum_driver.kext -type f -exec /bin/chmod 0644 {} \;
[[ -d /Library/Extensions/quantum_driver.kext ]] && sudo rm -R /Library/Extensions/quantum_driver.kext
sudo mv quantum_driver.kext /Library/Extensions
echo "done"

Once it's installed, go to System Preferences.app, select Security & Privacy preferences panel, allow the new kext. Restart.
Dear @joevt
Some time ago you really help me out. And everithyng was working nice but I updated the computer and I am having problems in Monterey 12.3.1

Aparently the folders are not the same in v3.6 presonus software , but even thoug I change it i think "maketemp" is not longer available.
Is there any chance you can update this beautiful piece of code for
https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/dmg/PreSonus_UniversalControl_v3_6_4_87069.dmg
in Monterey 12.3.1?

Best!

Sorry to bump this thread again. anyone using with Moneterey? Is it working? Quantum working? my 2626 does not work.
I am with the same problem. I can not work with Quantum 2626.
I´m from Brazil. In windows 11, works perfectly.

My Studio A build have the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH board.
Can you message me if you have sucess with your interface connection?

Thanks a lot!

I am with the same problem. I can not work with Quantum 2626.
I´m from Brazil. In windows 11, works perfectly.

My Studio A build have the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH board.
Can you message me if you have sucess with your interface connection?

Thanks a lot!
Are only the UC driver the problem to my macOS recognize the interface?

OK I finally found the soultion.
I think after uc version 3.5x they made some changed to thunderbolt driver version. what I did to make it work in Monterey was first install the driver uc 3.5x or 3.4 I don't remember exactly. then just install latest uc software do not check the driver upgrade and boom...it works on bigSur and Monterey. However I did update firmware version matching the UC version on Catalina as well as windows will do so I did not get firmware upgrade warning.

I did open new thread in Monterey support just incase.
Can you help me?
I´m looking to find
Try to use the latest UC driver that works with Monterey maybe?

v3.6.0.66460 from here : https://legacy.presonus.com/products/Universal-Control/downloads

For me, I think I still use 3.51 or 52 with Mojave and it’s flawless. Latest version 4 doesn’t work at all for me (2626 not even recognized).

Thanks a lot for the help.

I'm currently on macOS Mojave. I intend to migrate to Monterey soon!

Could you just confirm for me if, for that, it is enough just to install the driver from the PreSonus website or do you need another adjustment?

I was quite lost with all the information in this thread.

A big hug!

Try to use the latest UC driver that works with Monterey maybe?

v3.6.0.66460 from here : https://legacy.presonus.com/products/Universal-Control/downloads

For me, I think I still use 3.51 or 52 with Mojave and it’s flawless. Latest version 4 doesn’t work at all for me (2626 not even recognized).
I try to install this version with no sucess in Mojave.

I always try to turn on the audio interface first and then the computer, and even then, just the blue synchronization light keeps flashing. I am terrified of not being able to use the equipment. If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful. A hug!

I try to install this version with no sucess in Mojave.

I always try to turn on the audio interface first and then the computer, and even then, just the blue synchronization light keeps flashing. I am terrified of not being able to use the equipment. If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful. A hug!
Do you have the TB2 to TB3 adapter for the 2626? The Quantum 2626 is TB3 and if I’m not mistaken, your MB supports only TB version 1!

Do you have any other Thunderbolt device to verify that your ports are functioning under MacOS (hotplug, aml patches, etc…)?

Back