GTX TITAN X
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
New Infos...
LiluFriend will not help at all and in any kind but I had an different Idea.
Why not just try it with an IOProbeScore? :)

Update coming tomorrow night.
Is IOProbeScore used to sort kexts for boot order? Maybe. It's used to choose from multiple kexts that can match on the same device.

I am thinking that maybe you can create an override kext for something that is known to load early. Maybe the IOPlatformExpert kext is a good candidate. In the case of Intel Macs, you would create a HackACPIPlatformExpert class which is based on AppleACPIPlatformExpert. Then you would override some methods to do what you want. The kext you create would return a IOProbeScore greater than what AppleACPIPlatformExpert returns.

This was a common practice for creating kexts to allow Mac OS X 10.4 to work on Old World Power Macs (like the Power Mac 8600). I seem to remember that some kexts couldn't be overridden that way but I don't remember the details.

Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just to follow up - eliminate Thunderbolt from the picture to remove the potential added complexity. I can state with 100% certainty that the PCIe/HDMI method with the same driver works 100% of the time for me. So if you're working out the driver issue, just forgo Thunderbolt, at least for now. I can elaborate more if you want but at the moment that's my recommendation.

Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Will check it as soon as I can.

Just by the way:
I've tried it aswell with an Intel Nuc 8th Gen.
Same behaviour and I dont use a droptable on it.

@luckyal : maybe its a combination from something in your EFI Folder and other stuff.
Would you mind to upload a ioreg where the vrs8 is functional aswell as a log on first boot with working VRS8? Your EFI Folder could also help... To investigate whats going on.
Did you find my IORegs? I don't think you looked back far enough. I had them attached to this post for several weeks now. All I did since attaching them was VT-d + dart=0 + kext mod.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
After you try that, you can try editing the info.plist of the VRS8AudioDriver.kext. At the bottom where it says
Code:
</dict>
</plist>
Change it to say:
Code:
    <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
    <string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>
Then rebuild the kext cache (use Kext Utility.app or whatever) and reboot.
Okay, finally home to try this and other fixes suggested. Tried them and VRS8 is a no go.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX TITAN X
Mac
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
"man kextcache" says /Library/StagedExtensions is "a directory used to stage copies of kernel extensions during validation and loading.". I suppose this means it's normally empty.

Clear the StagedExtensions with
Code:
sudo kextcache --clear-staging
Did you check kextstat to make sure the OS didn't skip the extension (even if it didn't attach to the VRS8 device)?

No one has gotten the OSBundleRequired idea to work (in the case where dart=0 is required to make your computer boot or not crash or hang). Instead of Root, you could try Local-Root. Here's a command to get a list of kexts with their OSBundleRequired usage:
Code:
grep -R -A 1 OSBundleRequired /System/Library/Extensions/ /Library/extensions/ | grep string
It may be that OSBundleRequired is not changing the boot order of the VRS8 driver, or the boot order of the VRS8 boot driver is not early enough to reserve the memory, or there is no space to reserve the memory even if it is loaded early.

Once you've exhausted all the OSBundleRequired possibilities without success, then a different solution will have to be used.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I think I might be completely useless :lol: I'm sure you meant for me to do something more than just get the list. I suppose I just need to patiently wait that that someone else gets it working.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX TITAN X
Mac
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
No need to post that. We all have the same extensions. Just wanted to show that Local-Root is one of the options for OSBundleRequired. The list of possibilities from that output is:

Console
Local-Root
Network-Root
Root
Safe Boot

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
After reading carefully and thinking about it, I understood what you meant. Tried all of them on the plist without success. How many times must a man rebuild a kext cache, before you call him a man. :lol: But it's ok. I'm sure someone is really close with a solution, at least I hope so. And if not, it has holes in it. Maybe I'll throw some seeds on it and grow grass.

Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
After reading carefully and thinking about it, I understood what you meant. Tried all of them on the plist without success. How many times must a man rebuild a kext cache, before you call him a man. :lol: But it's ok. I'm sure someone is really close with a solution, at least I hope so. And if not, it has holes in it. Maybe I'll throw some seeds on it and grow grass.
Have you tried using the kext I attached to on of the posts last week?

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Have you tried using the kext I attached to on of the posts last week?
Yes. Tried it all. It's a no go. Such a bummer, but what can you do.

Last edited: