Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
ps4-access-large1.jpg
Now that Sony has released the PS4, you now have another controller option to use with games. The new Playstation 4 controller is fully compatible with OS X and very easy to set up.

ps4-access-large2.jpg Amazon US
(CAN UK DE ES FR IT)
Newegg

The simplest way to connect and use it is to plug in via USB (I used the cable that came with the PS4, for example). This works immediately and the controller is recognized by OS X.

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 10.41.02 AM.png

If you don't want to be tied by a cable to your system, you can also pair it with bluetooth. Open up System preferences and go to the Bluetooth preferences panel. Next, press and hold both the Playstation button and the Share button on the controller. When you see the controller show up in the list of available devices, click on Pair next to it. That's it!

pair.jpg paired.jpg

As you can see from the following screenshot, Steam works automatically with it (you need to be in big picture mode):

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 10.36.52 AM.jpg

One thing to note for those of you who like playing older games with emulation. The controller doesn't work with Nestopia/Emulation Enhancer. While it recognizes that the controller exists it doesn't understand the button mapping for it like it does with the PS3 controller.

Nice one- I've used the PS2 controller with an adapter- great to have the option of going bluetooth. Did you test the touchpad portion? That would be amazing if the touchpad would work as a trackpad for mouse pointer!

The trackpad didn't do anything for me in OS X or in the main Steam menu, but it's possible that it may work within specific games. It's early days too so I wouldn't be shocked if it worked later as well. :D

Here are the System Profiler basics for the XBOX One controller and PS4 controller on Mavericks:

Controller:
Product ID:0x02d1
Vendor ID:0x045e (Microsoft Corporation)
Version: 1.01
Serial Number:7EED800E6282
Speed:Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer:Microsoft
Location ID:0x1a154000 / 8
Current Available (mA):500
Current Required (mA):Unknown (Device has not been configured)

Wireless Controller:
Product ID:0x05c4
Vendor ID:0x054c (Sony Corporation)
Version: 1.00
Speed:Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer:Sony Computer Entertainment
Location ID:0x1a154000 / 8
Current Available (mA):500
Current Required (mA):500

Funny- the PS4 controller works almost out of box, however the MS controller doesn't even work in Windows- MS says PC support is coming "in 2014".

Nice one- I've used the PS2 controller with an adapter- great to have the option of going bluetooth. Did you test the touchpad portion? That would be amazing if the touchpad would work as a trackpad for mouse pointer!

Does it need to be an specific adapter or can it be any PS2/USB adapter? BTW does the xbox 360 controller works too or just xbox one?

Cool! Does it work with 10.6.8? Bt2.0?

Confirmed Playstation 4 Controller wired AND wireless support with OpenEMU emulator project that was just released:

Picks up Automatically as Sony PS4 DualShock 4: :headbang:

BUT- it only works with Bluetooth 4.0 adapter.

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 12.17.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-31 at 12.17.20 PM.jpg

Is there a way to use this controller as an iTunes remote? I have managed to connect my PS3 controller with my BT, which pretty much is all I can do with it right now.

Has anyone tried their PS4 controller in Yosemite?

If so:

1) What version of Yosemite?

2) Does the controller come up in the system prefs bluetooth pane?

3) Is it recognized by steam big picture?

4) Does it play okay with most games?

Thoroughly disappointed my PS3 controller (just purchased) no longer works in Yosemite...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back