Contribute
Register

Use Unibeast to install Mavericks on a real iMac (or any other Apple computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 760 4GB FTW
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

Since I don't have 10 hours to install Mavericks on my Late 2009 iMac, I thought I'd use Unibeast instead. Guess what? It works! Instead of 10 hours on DSL, I downloaded Mavericks in 20 minutes! Here's how.

So let's say you erased your hard drive on your Apple computer, and your internet is too slow. You'll need to reinstall the OS, and here's how to do it without internet.

You will need:
  • Your unibeast Mavericks USB drive
  • an Apple computer with a blank hard drive

Steps
  1. Once you have erased your hard drive, shut your computer down
  2. Turn it on while pressing the option key
  3. You will get at least two drives to boot into, boot into the one that says "UEFI boot" or the one with the orange flash icon
  4. After a few seconds, you will see a page that says "Install Mavericks"
  5. Press continue continue and agree
  6. Select the hard drive you erased earlier and you're on your way!

If you'd like a tutorial on how to erase a hard drive on a legitimate mac, let me know and I'll post one.

This is my first tutorial, please help me refine it. Thank you very much and I hope this helps you.

This is cool- I actually used this method to install/update a real Mac as well. The only issue on newer Macs is that when using the UniBeast created installer, it will not create a Recovery Partition. But that's the only real difference. Otherwise you can use it for Macs/Hacks no problem.

The reason that it works is that UniBeast doesn't alter the original installer in any way- it doesn't even remove the original apple .efi files. Hence, it can run and install Mavericks natively on a Mac.

:thumbup:

ub.png

No- this method will only work with Intel Macs that are compatible with Mavericks.

Or you could just 'burn' the dmg that's hidden inside the downloadable Mavericks installer on a USB stick using Disk Utility and have pure vanilla installer that would also create a recovery partition.

Back in time when Apple announced that it would no longer provide physical media this method was widely described.

We do this at work all the time.

First we copy the dmg to an exfat formatted flash drive.
Then we copy the dmg to the desktop of a functional OSX machine.
Then we use Disk Utility to repartition the flash drive to HFS+
Then restore to create the bootable flash by using the dmg as target and flash drive as destination.

For security purposes we have to erase all flash media after each use but it's still a lot faster than restoring OSX on the network.

It's always a good idea to have Recovery Partition on a real Mac, and also Find my Mac is not working without it... :think:
We'd like to see an option like "Original installer for Mac" or something like that in Unibeast that creates installer compatible only for the Mac.

Before Mavericks it was very easy to create an OS X installer, just have to mount a dmg file and restore it to a flash drive. Mavericks installer is tricky, I used this guide when I have to create one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JCeYR-Y9s

It's always a good idea to have Recovery Partition on a real Mac, and also Find my Mac is not working without it... :think:
We'd like to see an option like "Original installer for Mac" or something like that in Unibeast that creates installer compatible only for the Mac.

Before Mavericks it was very easy to create an OS X installer, just have to mount a dmg file and restore it to a flash drive. Mavericks installer is tricky, I used this guide when I have to create one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JCeYR-Y9s

tricky? its 1 terminal command...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back