Contribute
Register

Use one Mavericks install over multiple drives - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770
Graphics
GeForce GTX 650
I have a working installation of Mavericks on a 1 TB HDD, and I recently obtained a (an?) SSD. I want to use the SSD as the install point for Mavericks, to improve booting/loading times; and I want to use the HDD as storage for my applications, movies, music, etc.
I have installed Mavericks on the SSD but can't seem to figure out how to get it to use the other drive within the OS.
I made a Time Machine backup and assumed I could just restore from that, choosing which drive handles which data, but that was a no-go.
I read something about changing the location of your home folder to the second drive, but that didn't work for me.

Google turns up very little in terms of helpful results.
(Apologies if this is in the wrong subforum)

I have a working installation of Mavericks on a 1 TB HDD, and I recently obtained a (an?) SSD. I want to use the SSD as the install point for Mavericks, to improve booting/loading times; and I want to use the HDD as storage for my applications, movies, music, etc.
I have installed Mavericks on the SSD but can't seem to figure out how to get it to use the other drive within the OS.
I made a Time Machine backup and assumed I could just restore from that, choosing which drive handles which data, but that was a no-go.
I read something about changing the location of your home folder to the second drive, but that didn't work for me.

Google turns up very little in terms of helpful results.
(Apologies if this is in the wrong subforum)

Try http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/moving-os-x-users-to-separate-partition.html

Ah, excellent. I think I've followed links to that site before, but this is the first one that wasn't dead.
So the /Users directory is what contains most of my data? What's contained outside of /Users is just OS and application data?
Better yet, if I mount the 1 TB drive on /Users, will I be able to simply restore from my latest Time Machine backup? Most of the guides I see are for brand-new installs rather than adjustments to existing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back