CPU
i7-4790S
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi,

For those of you still posting your EFI's with your own unique Serial No and ROM values inside your config.plist for all to view, use and potentially misuse, I thought that I should post this guide on how you can sanitise your config.plist before uploading to a forum.

The Manual Way;

The Easiest way to avoid posting your Serial No and ROM is to manually edit a copy of your config.plist by deleting your PlatformInfo and then copying the PlatformInfo from the OpenCore release sample.plist back to your copy of your own config.plist.
Finally, just change the PlatformInfo > Generic > SystemProductName back to what you are using e.g, iMac19,1, Save and done !

The OC-Anonymizer way;

OC-Anonymizer (by dreamwhite and contributor 5T33Z0) is a Python script that does this for you whilst remembering to reset ScanPolicy to 0, SecureBoot to Disabled and Vault to Optional amongst a few other settings (see their Features section of their Github page)

1. Download the latest OC-Anonymizer and select Code and Download Zip
  2. Launch the Terminal and type ' cd ' without quotes and leave a space (Do Not press Enter)
  3. Drag the OC-Anonymizer-master folder from your Downloads folder into the Terminal window (after the space) and press Enter
  4. Type ' Python3 ' without quotes and leave a space (Do Not press Enter)
  5. Drag the oc_anonymizer.py script file from the OC-Anonymizer-master folder into the Terminal window and again, leave a space (Do Not press Enter)
  6. Drag your config.plist into the Terminal window after the space and press Enter
  7. There will now be a censored_config.plist in your OC-Anonymizer-master folder that you can upload.
  8. When you're uploading your EFI, don't forget to replace your original config.plist with the censored_config.plist and remember to rename it config.plist.
  9. Done !

P.S. I like a good 'drag and drop" so if you found my instructions annoying (my apologies) then just use the instructions in the authors Github page.

Peace
;)

Sounds great, but and there is a but.

You would only need to remove the sensitive information using the Manual Way.

Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 21.36.19.png Sensitive information requiring deletion/redaction

Removal of the Other and Security Settings by OC-Anonymizer which are not system sensitive would crate false/fake problems that Moderators such as myself would raise as issues in the config. Specifically when reviewing a config.plist to help troubleshoot an issue such as the system not booting.

Of the options that OC-Anonymizer would change, only the ones highlighted in the red rectangle would be required to keep the config safe from others.

Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 21.33.35.png
The Other and Security settings do not need to be changed to safeguard someone's config.plist.

If you use this python script to anonymise your config.plist, please for the love of god tell us you have done so. We don't want to be wasting our time fixing false/fake issues!

If you use this python script to anonymise your config.plist, please for the love of god tell us you have done so. We don't want to be wasting our time fixing false/fake issues!

Great point Edhawk, I did have that thought in the back of my mind and your quite right to be concerned.

I think dreamwhite would do well to modify the OC-Anonymizer script giving us the following options;

1) Sanitise SMBIOS Data Only / Retains the SystemProductName value e.g, iMac19,1 [for forum trouble shooting]

2) Santise SMBIOS and Reset user custom settings to Default [for posting working EFI's with no issues]

3) Quit

@Robbish
  1. You can edit the python script before applying it if you want to keep certain values. It's a pretty easy to comprehend
  2. You could create an issue on github and suggest featured
  3. You can do it manually as well, following my guide on which the script is based on
@Edhawk

I think you are missing the point. There's more to preparing an EFI for sharing it publically than just removoing SMBIOS! Any personalized and system-specific settings such as ScanPolicy and others which are not part of the core configuration for a specific mainboard should be removed from any EFI!

If you have a specific Z490 Board and use a 3rd party Wifi/BT module for example, the kext and possible device properties (or SSDTs) and individual settings (ApeCID for example) that come with this EFI and config should be removed from it – because that's the number one reason why uploaded EFIs and configs don't work: personcalized settings. So it's the complete opposite of what you are claiming: keeping personilzes settings is what breaks compatibility - not the other way around!

OC Ananymizer is more than a tool to remove SMBIOS – it's a tool for anonymizing AND preparing an EFI and Config to be as compatible as posssible when sharing it online!

@Robbish
  1. You can edit the python script before applying it if you want to keep certain values. It's a pretty easy to comprehend
  3. You can do it manually as well, following my guide on which the script is based on
@Edhawk

I think you are missing the point. There's more to preparing an EFI for sharing it publically than just removoing SMBIOS! Any personalized and system-specific settings such as ScanPolicy and others which are not part of the core configuration for a specific mainboard should be removed from any EFI!

If you have a specific Z490 Board and use a 3rd party Wifi/BT module for example, the kext and possible device properties (or SSDTs) and individual settings (ApeCID for example) that come with this EFI and config should be removed from it – because that's the number one reason why uploaded EFIs and configs don't work: personcalized settings. So it's the complete opposite of what you are claiming: keeping personilzes settings is what breaks compatibility - not the other way around!

OC Ananymizer is more than a tool to remove SMBIOS – it's a tool for anonymizing AND preparing an EFI and Config to be as compatible as posssible when sharing it online!

I disagree with your statements above. As I see things you are giving inaccurate advise.

The only part of the EFI that is user sensitive is the PlatformInfo section of the config.plist. Removing anything else is unhelpful.

@5T33Z0 I disagree with your statements above. As I see things you are giving inaccurate advise.

The only part of the EFI that is user sensitive is the PlatformInfo section of the config.plist. Removing anything else is unhelpful.

I specifically explained why it does what it does and why I recommend to remove which settings when sharing an EFI folder with the world in my guide.

OC Anonymizer does what it does for the reasons I stated. No one forces you to use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. But if you want to criticize the approach, you've gotta bring more than "removing antyhing else is unhelpful" – because it's just a vague statement of personal preference – not a valid argument!

Last edited by a moderator:
I specifically explained why it does what it does and why I recommend to remove which settings when sharing an EFI folder with the world in my guide.

OC Anonymizer does what it does for the reasons I stated. No one forces you to use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. But if you want to criticize the approach, you've gotta bring more than "removing anthing else is unhelpful" – because it's just a vague statement of personal preference – not a valid argument!
just wanted to say a quick thank you for your AppleALC layout guide, helped me out great!

@Robbish
Thanks. I do appreciate the hard work that you have contributed to the OC-Anonymizer utility.
  • I also did notice that you could edit the python script but I still believe my suggestion of an Options List that I mentioned in post #3 would make OC-Anonymizer a more user friendly and quick Utility for those that need to select Option 1)
  • I still agree with Edhawk in the case of OPs posting their EFI/config.plists "as is" whilst removing their SMBIOS Data firstly, would makes it easier to troubleshoot their build.
  • I believe that when OPs are posting a "Success" then editing the OC-Anonymizer Python script with those optional values and then posting their EFI is the better use case IMO.
  • Apologies, I do not have a Github account hence why posted my suggestion here for your consideration.
Peace :thumbup:

OC Anonymizer does what it does for the reasons I stated. No one forces you to use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. But if you want to criticize the approach, you've gotta bring more than "removing antyhing else is unhelpful" – because it's just a vague statement of personal preference – not a valid argument!
The PlatformInfo > Generic > SerialNumber, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID are the only sensitive pieces of information in the config.plist. They are the only elements that need to be removed or redacted from the config.plist to safeguard the user's Apple Services, when they are sharing their OC setup or asking for help.

No one need remove or change any other elements from the OC setup, as none of the other elements are sensitive or specific to any one OC setup.

The other edits undertaken by the script are in my opinion totally unnecessary. They serve no helpful purpose and will just make life difficult for those who choose to help people on this site.

Is that clear enough?

Don't worry I won't be using your script.

@Edhawk

No one ever denied that PlatformInfo/Generic contains the sensitive data!

What you are to narrow-minded or unwilling to accept is:
  1. OC Anonymizer was conceived for sharing a COMPLETE WORKING CONFIG and EFI for a given system to be compatible as possible for the reasons explained twice now.
  2. OC Anonymizer was NOT made to simply to remove sensitive data so people can share their non-working configs and EFIs on forums for fixing!
BTW: this is not MY script. It's based on my guide on preparing an EFI Folder and config for sharing it online: EFI_Upload_Chklst

And if you are claiming the other edits are unnecessary before sharing an EFI, you don't know enough about OpenCore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back