Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo W510 4319RU
CPU
i7
Graphics
FX 880M, 1972X1080
What is the benefit of using the kernel cache on boot?
Is it just a speed thing?

I have Mavericks installed on a Dell Precision T3500.
I currently have
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file but the machine will only boot about one in 5 times.
The other 4 times, after I select OSX from the boot menu, the HD runs for a brief second then stops.
Not changing anything, 1 in 5 times it will boot normally.
If I boot using IgnoreKernelCache, it will boot 100% of the time.

Thus my question, other than speed is there any other benefit to using the kernel cache?
Should I just give up and delete that from the .plist file?

I'd like to know the answer to this question, too.

My machine has been working quite well (crashes once a month) for six months. After I started using the Nvidia webdrivers (GTX780 revB) or after updating to 10.9.2, it started crashing once in three days. At this point I also had similar behaviour as the original poster said, but my system booted on 2 out 3 tries. I didn't know about kernelcache at the time. It was maybe fixed, when I started using the OS X default drivers again. It worked fine for two weeks, without any crashes.

Yesterday I plugged an external monitor to the HDMI-output (and started using bluetooth keyboard and trackpad), and since then my system couldn't be up without a crash for five minutes. So after booting, my system crashed in less than five minutes. Then I discovered kernelcache, and booted using the menu option "boot without caches" or something.
Now my system has been up for an hour, and I'm finally able to do a backup. (I have many backups, but I want my new files too).

For me this option did not have any effect on boot time. Booting is just as fast on an SSD. Does this option also use "useKernelCache=No", as I presume it does, or is it for some completely different caches?

And how do I make this option to be the default booting method? And are there any downsides?

I'd like to know the answer to this question, too.

My machine has been working quite well (crashes once a month) for six months. After I started using the Nvidia webdrivers (GTX780 revB) or after updating to 10.9.2, it started crashing once in three days. At this point I also had similar behaviour as the original poster said, but my system booted on 2 out 3 tries. I didn't know about kernelcache at the time. It was maybe fixed, when I started using the OS X default drivers again. It worked fine for two weeks, without any crashes.

Yesterday I plugged an external monitor to the HDMI-output (and started using bluetooth keyboard and trackpad), and since then my system couldn't be up without a crash for five minutes. So after booting, my system crashed in less than five minutes. Then I discovered kernelcache, and booted using the menu option "boot without caches" or something.
Now my system has been up for an hour, and I'm finally able to do a backup. (I have many backups, but I want my new files too).

For me this option did not have any effect on boot time. Booting is just as fast on an SSD. Does this option also use "useKernelCache=No", as I presume it does, or is it for some completely different caches?

And how do I make this option to be the default booting method? And are there any downsides?
Yes using ignore caches which is the same as typing -f at boot time is the same as UseKernelCache=No
Now usually this means you need to rebuild the kext cache on system/library/extensions to do this the easy way for the beginner would be to download the app kext wizard and on the maintenance tab check rebuild kext cache on s/l/e then reboot to test but if it doesn't work for you you can make ignore caches permeant by either one of two ways open the file root/extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist with text edit make a back up copy first and change the line
<key> kernel flags</key>
<string></string>

to

<key>kernel flags</key>
<string>-f</string>

or change this line

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

change the yes to No

Thanks.

I opened /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist in nano, and changed <key>UseKernelCache</key> Yes to No.

Now I hope my machine is permanently fixed. Well, until the next odd behaviour that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back