Contribute
Register

Use iMac G3 CRT with a raspberry pi or any other computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to post here.

Here's a video of me disassembling a working iMac G3 DV and fitting in the boards to turn it into a monitor.
At the end I play Minecraft with it as the monitor. BTW this is a non destructive mod and it can be easily reversed.

I have a G3 iMac myself, but I removed the screen and related electronics on it so I could turn it into a PC, but I have a question regarding the front panel audio and power board, which is to ask if anyone here either the original author or somebody else knows the exact pinout of the wires coming off of that board so that I could get possibly either a picture showing what wire goes where or just have somebody tell me like you know the brown wire is used for this and the red wires are positive voltage or whatever for that, and yellow wire is for this other thing, and I'm also wondering what exactly the point of that gigantic board those three little items are on is for, because I'm wondering if maybe there's some kind of a built-in logic to it or something that automatically switches from the main speakers to the headphones speakers when you plug headphones in and I'm looking to possibly use the Mac speakers with a set of USB powered desktop speakers so as to provide the powered speaker experience, assuming that the speakers haven't rotted, which I hear is a common problem with speakers of this age although I know from a previous iMac I had that I took the speakers out of that they can provide beastly amounts of Bass if you want them to, for something so small, and boy they sound good for that age... Not sure besides possibly switching from speakers to headphones what exactly that little gigantic front panel mainboard would do but it would be nice to talk to somebody if somebody here has some experience with that and exactly you know what's going on on that front panel mainboard and wires... Note that all that's left of the original internals is the speaker harness/speakers, and the power switch board, as well as the fan mount that I might use, and part of the metal chassis for installing a SATA DVD drive...

I was originally asking how you did the boards but I just found the videos :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back