Contribute
Register

Use a SATA PCI Card to expand number of non-booting drives on High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi all, so I wanted to tell you a quick story to give you context as to why I'm even here, but if you don't want context skip down to the TLDR :)

Been quite a while since I've posted here, as I had a stable installation of Mavericks since 2013 and just ran with it (same hardware specified in my profile, was able to easily dual boot into Windows 10 using Chimera). Both drives were using MBP over UEFI, I believe, as was the style at the time (?). My SATA card was working perfectly and gave me 4 more slots to plugin external drives for all of my music and video projects, but I vaguely recall having to visit some website to find a driver or something before Mavericks would recognize it. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand of the card and it doesn't say it on there, but I do remember it wasn't too expensive ($20-30). It's got the Sil 3124 chip.

So note that I am NOT trying to boot from the SATA PCI card, just trying to expand my internal drives. The GTX 970 blocks most of my SATA ports on the mobo so I can only sneak out disk0/1 for the Mac/Windows OS SSD's. All of the other external drives were 1TB or less, also had a cheap ass ASUS CD/DVD drive plugged in too (and working fine).

Anyway, about three weeks ago I made the apparently fatal error of trying to install a Seagate 2 TB Barracuda drive via the SATA PCI card. All hell broke loose for the first time in three years, as upon the first power up I got the fatal boot0: error before even seeing the Chimera screen. First reaction was to unplug the 2TB drive and power up - did not fix issue. I tried a few of the fixes (boot1h force install), but couldn't get anywhere. I plugged the Mavericks SSD via USB up to my Macbook Pro and the disk couldn't even be initialized, there was no way to to see what was going on in there.

Thankfully I don't keep project/personal files on my OS drives in case something like this happens, so there wasn't too much pain in just starting over.

TLDR: I erased the SSD and installed High Sierra using the most recent guide, and within an hour I was up and running (and up to date, too).

However, I can't get the PCI card to be recognized by High Sierra. I tried to find that driver I had downloaded a long time ago (I think this was it at the top of the page), but upon install it crashed the computer and I couldn't get High Sierra to boot unless I physically unplugged the SATA PCI card. I uninstalled the package and thankfully it's booting fine again with the card plugged in, but still not being recognized. If I boot to Windows 10, the card and attached drives show up. Dual booting is a bit difficult right now as Windows is still written as MBP so Clover can't launch it...another project for another day.

Any recommendations on a driver? Or even a replacement card? I'm out of PCI-E slots and can't find a HighPoint Rocket card that is PCI for the use I'm looking for. I guess I could get a PCI-E to PCI conversion card as well, I've just found the more hardware you start piling on, the unhappier your hackintosh gets :).

Any insight onto why the 2 TB drive tore up my old install?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Vantec 6-Port SATA II 150 PCI Host Card with RAID

Syba 1 Port ATA133 IDE and 2 Port SATA II PCI Controller Card with Software RAID Component (SD-VIA-1A2S)

For anyone else that hits this thread, both of the cards that jaymack posted use SI chips that are not supported/easily supported for Mac.

I'm now looking for an ASM1061 card. Thanks!

What did you end up going with? I tried an SD-PEX40054 on 10.13.5 and it blacked my video (Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8G) out. I'd like to add a few more SATA ports for spare storage drives and would prefer native support.

What did you end up going with? I tried an SD-PEX40054 on 10.13.5 and it blacked my video (Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8G) out. I'd like to add a few more SATA ports for spare storage drives and would prefer native support.

I, too, am looking for a new cheap PCI card for SATA expansion. I was running a SD-PEX40054 in an old P5Q running SIERRA, and am in the middle of trying out a clean install of HIGH SIERRA, but the Sil3124 kext I was using to drive the card in Sierra is KPing in High Sierra.

So.....no active suggestions for a card that works?

seems like we're definitely in a very specific minority here... Ive run out of ports on my board, and the only thing I have left available is an open PCI slot.
i tried a very very old SI 3512 card, but it turned out to be a later revision that wouldnt work with the mac firmware flasher. but then again, I dont even know if that card would work on an intel machine.
i also considered looking at HighPoint 15xx series cards which worked in PPC macs too. Being as highpoint has better OSX driver support than most it might work. Ive seen them going for less than $20 on ebay.

I suppose the trick would be to find a SATA controller chip that is known to be working with OSX later versions, and then see if there's a PCI card version of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back