Contribute
Register

Use a SATA PCI Card to expand number of non-booting drives on High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I no longer have the cards. I used to use them with my old MacPro5,1 which I also no longer own.

ok thanks...would you mind helping me with resolving some issues on my ud5h build?

ok thanks...would you mind helping me with resolving some issues on my ud5h build?

I've never hacked a z97 system before and don't know how different it is from the systems I have hacked...

Oh come on Pastry I've seen you mentinoned and doing help in a lot of these z77 ud5h threads.

I'll try to get help from Stork then and keep my credits towards you for my z-370 then ;)

Oh come on Pastry I've seen you mentinoned and doing help in a lot of these z77 ud5h threads.

I'll try to get help from Stork then and keep my credits towards you for my z-370 then ;)

My knowledge on Z77 is next to nil. I don't know how I can help.

Well my problem might not be that z-77 specific related...but more clover legacy vs UEFI related...

Can we give it a shot? Feel free to answer or not.

I installed with clover UEFI only recommended settings and drivers

bios : other os, UEFI and legacy (because I could not install with window 8 - UEFI only and CMS never)

I wonder if this was a mistake because my gtx 680 is not UEFI...

I think this might have created AHCI problems too because:

-1tb samsung m.2 on 4x pcie card is recognized as Sata not as a PCIE card. (I don't plan to boot from it)
-And does not appear as NVME in system profile. (It used to in high Sierra)

And maybe USB too

-all my ports work, except if I use a usb2 device in one of my USB3 case header ports
-ioreg under USB seems weird see screen shot of usb section with 4 port usb 2 and 3 hub in "defective" usb 3 port
(and yes I want to do port configuration next, but...wit ioreg showing legacy stuff and chrome under usb headers....)

I've see some other EFI folders having both drivers UEFI and drivers 64 UEFI folders. (last screen shot)

I just have the UEFI folder and drivers

And yes I have tried many fixes with patches in my config.plist file found elsewhere on this site to try to solve this and many, many, many, so many too many restarts and reboots config modifications robot etc etc etc...

Looking at the boot log all are allowed....

files provided efi folder - and screen shots - ioreg

other then that it boot well and fast lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.55.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.55.48 PM.png
    261.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 12.00.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 12.00.10 AM.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 12.00.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 12.00.00 AM.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.59.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.59.52 PM.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 12.16.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 12.16.21 AM.png
    280.8 KB · Views: 27
  • VED2MOHG.ioreg
    6.1 MB · Views: 34
  • EFI.zip
    21.2 MB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot otherud5hdriverfolderstructureanddrivers.png
    Screen Shot otherud5hdriverfolderstructureanddrivers.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 44
  • lastbootlogud5h.txt.zip
    7.8 KB · Views: 41
Well my problem might not be that z-77 specific related...but more clover legacy vs UEFI related...

Can we give it a shot? Feel free to answer or not.

I installed with clover UEFI only recommended settings and drivers

bios : other os, UEFI and legacy (because I could not install with window 8 - UEFI only and CMS never)

I wonder if this was a mistake because my gtx 680 is not UEFI...

I think this might have created AHCI problems too because:

-1tb samsung m.2 on 4x pcie card is recognized as Sata not as a PCIE card. (I don't plan to boot from it)
-And does not appear as NVME in system profile. (It used to in high Sierra)

And maybe USB too

-all my ports work, except if I use a usb2 device in one of my USB3 case header ports
-ioreg under USB seems weird see screen shot of usb section with 4 port usb 2 and 3 hub in "defective" usb 3 port
(and yes I want to do port configuration next, but...wit ioreg showing legacy stuff and chrome under usb headers....)

I've see some other EFI folders having both drivers UEFI and drivers 64 UEFI folders. (last screen shot)

I just have the UEFI folder and drivers

And yes I have tried many fixes with patches in my config.plist file found elsewhere on this site to try to solve this and many, many, many, so many too many restarts and reboots config modifications robot etc etc etc...

Looking at the boot log all are allowed....

files provided efi folder - and screen shots - ioreg

other then that it boot well and fast lol.

I've never done a Legacy install and don't know the first thing about it.

GTX 680 should have UEFI firmware. If not, try updating to the latest version as per manufacturer's websites.

Clover changed the folder structure several times. They changed the name of some folders such as the "drivers" folder. What you see are just people who are on different versions of Clover and/or people who never updated or cleaned up their EFI folder.

I've never seen any need for AHCI_3rdPary_eSATA.kext. However, again, my experience only goes as far back as Skylake.
I don't know what NVEeFix.kext does.
SATA-unsupported.kext and XHCI-unsupported.kext do nothing on Z77.

In your config.plist, you have a lot of stuff enabled in the ACPI section. On Skylake and newer, most of the time, none of that stuff is needed.
In your config.plist, you have a kexts to patch with comment of "ALPM IO Error AppleAHCIPort". I have no idea what this is supposed to resolve. Never seen it before.
There are also KextsToPatches to address 15 port limit. I'm not sure this is even needed for Z77.

You should check to see if your motherboard has support for NVMe SSDs or if there's a BIOS update to add support for them.

Last edited:
ok thanks

1-firware gpu archive says it's not
2-ok
3-3rd aparty e-sata makes mi E_SATA enlclosure drives usable and hotswapable
4-the cpu of my UD%H board is IVY bridge
5-supposed to Help I certain boards not recognizing ICH7 and or ICH 10
6- BIOS 16j, have been running this Samsung M.2 DRIVE on PCIe card for at least the last 3 years in Sierra and high Sierra everything was recognized and working.

thanks a million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back