Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Dear All,

It being my endeavour to simply boot into the installer (nevermind installing Lion 10.7 yet) I've trawled through countless pages on TonyMac & the interwebs seeking answers for the best part of 1.5 weeks. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to have joined this community, where it is that I am posting this thread in my efforts of finding a solution to my query.

I'm using a Dell Studio XPS 8000 machine with GTX 550 Ti graphics (replaced the 220 which came as standard) - I have two hard-drives which I'm using to make this work: both are 1 TB each. The first I'd prefer, for now, to have left untouched with a working Windows installation. The second is in two partitions: Installer and Destination. I boot to installer using the latest Chameleon bootloader, but I can't for the life of me actually get to the actual installer when a wild error appears:
photostillwaitingforroo.jpg

FYI:
My HDD is in ATA mode (RAID is the only alternate option).
Using a virutal machine to apply patches, kexts etc to my Installer partition.

I'd be delighted to receive some aid for these errors which are keeping me from installing Lion. Thank you,

Best regards,
Chris

The hardware compatibility lists are provided (see the WIKI) so that you and select a hackable set of parts. An OS X experienced hacker might be able to sort out your issues, however the best solution is to switch to a compatible motherboard.

neil

neilhart said:
The hardware compatibility lists are provided (see the WIKI) so that you and select a hackable set of parts. An OS X experienced hacker might be able to sort out your issues, however the best solution is to switch to a compatible motherboard.

neil

Thanks a bunch for your prompt response. I'll see the WIKI and will look into a new motherboard.

Directed generally - in the meantime, I'd be enormously grateful for some help on my current spec.

Thanks again :)

I finally just cannabalized the 8000 for the parts; a good i7 processor, Nvidia video card, ddr3 memory, DVD unit, and hard disks. The case is useless since it takes an M motherboard size which isn't what's needed for a replacement.

It had the Intel DP55M board.

On the XPS 8000 you need an additional driver for the internal drive: ATAPortInjector.kext. Its attached in the zip file in this post.

I started out installing everyting on an external USB and moved to internal after installing this kext file.

Attachments

• ATAPortInjector.kext.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 152
Hi!
i have one dell xps 8000 too, and i'm stuck too when i have to format my drive with the disk utilities (i can't see it). I didn't can change the bios to AHCI mode with my motherboard.
Micronics your post is interesting but i not sure to understand what to do.
Need i to install osx first on an external usb drive? And after how to install this
additional driver "ATAPortInjector.kext"?
And how to move osx to my internal drive after that?

Sorry for my silly question, i'm a newbie...
Thanks very much for your answer.

Dell XPS 8000
including IDE driver and working Video, Audio and added working Network card.
works for daily use, mentioned post install steps also required after updates.

(I Just Validated these steps with El Capitain 10.11)
I bought a network card a TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR for network = RTL8169 Chipset
This also works with Windows10...

NOTE: You need a working Mac/Hackintosh to create the installer USB Disk.
You need TWO (8 unsure?)>16Gig USB Disks:
  • One for the Installer
  • One to Install on to Add IDE Driver to Internal Disk.
If you know how to manually install kext via the Installer USB Disk, you may need only one...
I will assume you use 2 USB Disks

Get/Buy MacOS upgrade from app store on working Mac/Hackingtosh.
Use latest UniBeast (from this site/Downloads) to create installer USB Disk, legacy boot.

Unpack attached file on desktop of working Mac, This is the IDE driver
Use KextBeast to add kext from desktop to installer USB Disk.
+ Make sure you select the installer USB Disk!

Add latest MultiBeast to USB installer Disk
Add KextBeast to USB installer Disk
Add Attached IDE Driver to USB installer Disk
Add Multibeast 6.1.0 to USB installer Disk for audio driver
Add Multibeast 7.4.1 to USB installer Disk for network RTL8169 driver

Boot from USB installer Disk
Install to USB with nVidia (Yeay! Video!)

Boot (USB) installed system
use latest MultiBeast for basic install of a non DSDT system
(Yeay! Sleept etc)
Unpack attached file on desktop of newly installed (USB) Mac, This is the IDE driver
Use KextBeast to add kext from desktop to newly installed (USB) system Disk.
+ Make sure you select the newly installed (USB) system Disk!
(Yeay! IDE)
use MultiBeast 6.1.0 for audio
Drivers > Realtec ALCxxx > Without DSDT > ALC887/888b Current v100302
(Yeay! Audio)
use MultiBeast 7.4.0 for network
Drivers > Network -> AppleRTL8169Ethernet
(Yeay! Audio)

Reboot. Validate if everything works, Video, Audio and Network (note: PCI 1869 Compatible added Network card.)

Option 1] Copy to internal diskdrive and use same post install(post copy) steps to make the internal system drive bootable
Option 2] Clean install internal drive and use same post install(post copy) steps from newly installed (USB) system Disk to make the internal system drive bootable

Let me know how this works for you!

Success!

Attachments

• ATAPortInjector.kext.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 117
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back