Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
HD 630
First time Hackintosh builder here, so please pardon my lack of knowledge.

I've spent the last two days trying to get my build working and I feel like I'm close but having a strange problem I can't solve. Catalina installs just fine, and when I boot into it using the USB drive that I installed from as the boot device, all of my USB ports work perfetcly.

Once I boot in, I run MultiBeast and it seems that no matter what kexts I install, USB3 simply doesn't work. I can plug my keyboard/mouse into ANY USB port and they work just fine, but no USB3 devices are recognized at all. I've tried following the instructions from several different threads here on the site (including mapping all of the ports as shown in this build), but I have had no luck.

The system runs great, it's very stable (heck, even the sleep functions work!) but this USB3 problem really has me scratching my head. Since it works when booting from the installer flash drive (created with UniBeast), does that mean that there is some base configuration used for Clover there that I can copy?

This (and audio - but the ALC1220 issue is a totally separate thing) are the last two hurdles I have before I reach the promised land. I appreciate any insight!

HW Info for reference:
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI (BIOS version F7)
i7-9700K
Intel HD 630

to offer any help, we need more data, what drivers are you using and what kexts do you have. also the config.plist you are using.

Drivers are found in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
kexts are found in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

BIOS settings play a big part in this as well.

the more info you provide the more help you will get.

I'll reply as best I can here since I have tried many different combinations of settings.

First, there is no "drivers" folder at EFI/CLOVER/. There IS an "EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI" folder, and I have linked it here. For anyone who doesn't want to download, here is a list of the .efi files in that folder:

ApfsDriverLoader-64
AptioMemoryFix-64
AudioDxe-64
DataHubDxe-64
FSInject-64
PartitionDxe-64
SMCHelper-64
VBoxHfs-64

The only kext installed (currently) is FakeSMC. I have tried installing USBInjectAll (via both MultiBeast and Clover Configurator) as well as the "Remove XHCI USB Port Limit" option from MultiBeast. As I said in the previous post, I have also tried using the USB Map Tool (found here) and have followed the instructions there to map the USB ports and create both the USBMap.kext (which is copies to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other) and the SSDT option (which it also copies over for you).

When using the USBMap tool, I was never able to get it to recognize all of my USB3 ports (it would show 14 HS ports and 1 SS port). When you exclude the HS ports and reboot (so that you can map the SS ports - as per their instructions), the port scan was always the same: 14 HS ports and 1 SS port (despite the fact that it should have booted excluding all of the HS ports except the two that had the keyboard/mouse plugged in). I tried this tool with USBInjectAll installed and without it installed as well as with USBInjectAll + the port limit patch. I got the same results in every case: never able to see anything but a single SS port. Interestingly enough, running this tool when booting from the USB drive yeilded different results: it showed 24 ports (14 HS and 10 SS). I have attached the output of those scans to this post.

My config.plist is also attached here.

I don't know if this is relevant, but when booting from the USB installer, Clover reports that it is rev. 5102, and when booting from the SSD it reports as rev. 4934. 4934 seems to be the revision that was installed by MultiBeast on the SSD (as I have not manually (or otherwise) installed or updated Clover) and 5102 is what was installed on the USB by UniBeast.

Although the BIOS settings have not changed between booting from the USB drive (where USB3 works) and booting from the SSD, I will list the settings I changed before installing Catalina here:

XMP -> Profile 1
Windows 8/10 Features -> Other OS
CSM Support -> Disabled
Intel PTT -> Disabled
Network Stack Configuration -> Disabled
USB Legacy Support -> Enabled
USB XHCI Handoff -> Enabled
Vt-d -> Disabled
Internal Graphics -> Enabled
DVMT Pre-Alloc -> 64M
DVMT Total Gfx Mem -> 256M
Above 4g Decoding -> Enabled

I'm not sure what role the BIOS settings could be playing here since they are the same when USB is working as when it is not, but I'm always willing to learn things I didn't know before... And this sort of low-level system architecture is certainly not something that I know very well.

In addition to what is listed above, I have also tried using KextBeast to install USBInjectAll (into L/E) with no results. (After installing it this way, I then rebooted and tried the USBMap tool with the same results as above.)

I hope this is the info you were looking for. If not, or if there is more info needed, I will do my best to provide it.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7 KB · Views: 38
  • drivers64UEFI.zip
    91.1 KB · Views: 42
  • USBMap - boot from SSD.txt
    717 bytes · Views: 55
  • USBMap - boot from USB.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 43
This is the kext you need to enable your ports works with Z390 pro or pro wifi
All enabled you have too many (22)

You may have to make some config.plist changes as well.
USB 3.0/3.1 ports count as 2 ports each one for USB 2.0 and one for USB 3.0 or 3.1
USB 2.0 ports count as one

place in efi partition/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
This is the kext you need to enable your ports works with Z390 pro or pro wifi
All enabled you have too many (22)

You may have to make some config.plist changes as well.
USB 3.0/3.1 ports count as 2 ports each one for USB 2.0 and one for USB 3.0 or 3.1
USB 2.0 ports count as one

place in efi partition/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other

I assumed that being over the limit of 15 was the issue, and I appreciate the confirmation. I had tried several different things to address that issue and had no luck.

When you say "You may have to make some config.plist changes as well", what changes are you talking about? I have downloaded Clover Configurator, but this is all fairly new to me so I'm not exactly sure what sort of changes you are talking about.

Meanwhile I will install that kext and report back on what happens!

you typed There IS an "EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI" which tells me you are using a older version of clover, you might want to update that for your system, I am running 5102, you can so this if you have the Clover preference pane in your settings app.

I placed the kext you provided into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. Booted from SSD and had the same results. The USBMap tool still shows HS10-14 and SS01 as the only USB ports. USB3 devices not recognized in any port (SS01 is a USB-C port and I have no -C devices to try).

I followed that up by updating Clover. I tried first through Clover Configurator (which looked like it worked but didn't) and finally by downloading the 5102 UEFI version here. The latter method worked and Clover is now build 5102.

This made a drivers/UEFI directory (the older drivers64UEFI directory still exists) whose contents are the following .efi files:

ApfsDriverLoader
AptioMemoryFix
AudioDxe
DataHubDxe
FSInject
PartitionDxe
SMCHelper
VBoxHfs

After the update of Clover, I still get the same results from my USB ports. USB2 works in all ports, USB3 does not.

this may help
SMBIOS is set for Mac Pro 2019 7,1

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.3 KB · Views: 62
BIOS settings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back