AMD 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

After changing my motherboard a couple months ago to an Asus Z77-I Deluxe, I have some weird USB3 issues. I have everything else working 100%, however, this is the last little niggling issue I am trying to squash. I have tried setting my BIOS to xHCI handoff to Smart Auto, Auto, Enabled, Disabled, it makes no difference.

With no kexts at all, the front USB ports do not work (which are plugged into the USB 3 header on the motherboard). I see one entry for a USB Super Speed bus in the System Profiler, which is serviced by the Apple kext.

With the latest GenericUSB kext (RehabMan), I am able to use the USB3 ports on the front panel IF and ONLY IF I have something plugged into one of them on boot up. I use my iPhone for this most of the time. Once the system is booted, I can plug/unplug anything and even get the faster USB3 speeds and the ports work 100%. Upon reboot, if I do not have anything plugged in when OS X is loading initially, the ports are dead. There is, however, 2 additional entries in system profiler for USB Super Speed Bus with the kext under either state.

Anyone else have any of these issues? Any solution?

hey gordo.
not an answer as such, but both toleda and going bald have/had this board, so might be worth trying to scout their threads or hitting them up?

Hi sami,

Thanks for the reply. I have been scouting via search like crazy and haven't found anything. From what I gathered, there is a hub that serves the front ports via the header, but that's as far as I've gotten.

You may need to patch AppleUSBXHCI...
See here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/150-patched-appleusbxhci/

What USB controller does your motherboard have?

Also, USB3 is notoriously complicating to get working (esp. with Intel 7 Series, I've been trying to get it working on my laptop for months with no avail...)

cheers!

You may need to patch AppleUSBXHCI...
See here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/150-patched-appleusbxhci/

What USB controller does your motherboard have?

Also, USB3 is notoriously complicating to get working (esp. with Intel 7 Series, I've been trying to get it working on my laptop for months with no avail...)

cheers!

Thanks for that thread.

Unfortunately, it seems only Intel and Asmedia drivers are listed for my board on the Asus site and that patch is known not to work with Asmedia controllers.

Hmm...what USB3 controller does your motherboard have? That will depend how you'll get everything with USB3 working...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back