Contribute
Register

USB3.0 works (almost 100%) on 6-series MB on Mojave (GA-Z68AP-D3 - i7 3770K - Radeon HD 7850 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X570 Pro
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello :)

I recently installed Mojave (10.14.3) on this rig (see title).

The Z68AP has the following USB3.0 controller:
Etron EJ168 chip

This rig has 6 USB2.0 ports (2 on the front, 4 on the back) as well as 2 USB3.0 ports (2 on the back).
It also has a monitor acting as a USB3.0 port, providing 3 additional USB3.0 ports (1 of them with a lightning logo -> fast charge?)

The rig boots normally if NOTHING is connected to the USB3.0 ports (not even the monitor/hub). From there, only 1 of the 2 USB3.0 ports will work (generally the second one I try) and it will work at full USB3.0 speed :)

Now if anything is connected to a USB3.0 port during boot, I get the Apple crash screen (multiple language error message) and, when I press a key, boots proceeds (rather than reboot) and I get the obvious crash report message after login in.

If I connect the monitor/hub to 1 of the 2 USB3.0 ports on the back of the tower, the additional 3 USB3.0 ports on the monitor may behave like:
  • work normally at USB3.0 speed (only 2 out of 3 will work, randomly)
  • not work at all (usually when this happens, the ports that were previsouly working also stop working)
  • crash the machine and reboot.
It thus seems like it is possible to have USB3.0 on this machine (although the MB is a 6-series MB) but it requires fine tweaking. Your precious help and guidance is welcome here :)

Thank you very much for your help.
Best,
-a-

Last edited:
Have you tried GenericUSBXHCI.kext ?

It's seems like I should try mXHCD.kext (after removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext? also remove USBInjectAll.kext?)
Although I notice mixed results in recent macOS versions

What about this? (seems compatible with Mojave):

I wonder what I should remove before trying to use mXHCD.kext and if there are any other steps required (other than copying mXHCD.kext into /E/E/C/K/O and/or /L/E) in order to make it work properly.

Any advice?

Thanks
-a-

Last edited:
Well I tried my luck...
  • Deleted GenericUSBXHCI.kext (but kept USBInjectAll.kext)
  • installed mXHCD.kext (via USB3.0 NEC.pkg)
  • rebooted
Now:
- No more error message at boot whatsoever
( - all USB2.0 ports behave as expected)
- both USB3.0 ports on the back of the tower work at full speed (yes!)

How.e.ver.................
If I connect the monitor (= USB3.0 hub) on one of the USB3.0 ports:
  • The remaining USB3.0 port on the tower still works normally
  • none (0/3) of the USB3.0 ports on the monitor work (as if disabled)
Maybe this can be fixed?
Should I delete USBInjectAll.kext as well?
Keeping or deleting USBinjectAll.kext doesn't change anything

Thank you for your help.

Best,
-a-

Last edited:
Well I tried my luck...
  • Deleted GenericUSBXHCI.kext (but kept USBInjectAll.kext)
  • installed mXHCD.kext (via USB3.0 NEC.pkg)
  • rebooted
Now:
- No more error message at boot whatsoever
( - all USB2.0 ports behave as expected)
- both USB3.0 ports on the back of the tower work at full speed (yes!)

How.e.ver.................
If I connect the monitor (= USB3.0 hub) on one of the USB3.0 ports:
  • The remaining USB3.0 port on the tower still works normally
  • none (0/3) of the USB3.0 ports on the monitor work (as if disabled)
Maybe this can be fixed?
Should I delete USBInjectAll.kext as well?
Keeping or deleting USBinjectAll.kext doesn't change anything

Thank you for your help.

Best,
-a-

Hi a,

I have the same issue as you with the monitor USB 3.0 hub not working at all after installing mXHCD. I tried another USB 3.0 hub and it also does not work. Also similar to you in that the USB 3.0 ports work when I plug in a single drive (not a hub).

Did you get your hub working?

Thanks

Hi a,

I have the same issue as you with the monitor USB 3.0 hub not working at all after installing mXHCD. I tried another USB 3.0 hub and it also does not work. Also similar to you in that the USB 3.0 ports work when I plug in a single drive (not a hub).

Did you get your hub working?

Thanks
No. I never managed to fix this.

Let me know if you get luckier than me :)

Best,
-a-

No. I never managed to fix this.

Let me know if you get luckier than me :)

Best,
-a-

Yes, I did have update: I found that my USB 3.0 ports were not under XHCI, but PXSX (in IORegistryExplorer). I then deleted USBinject and mXHCD kexts, and installed the latest GenericUSBXHCI. And then my two 3.0 hubs started working (one in the monitor and one stand alone) at full speed.

However, now I am having a different issue - when a drive is plugged into one of the 3.0 ports AND I open a Chromium web browser, then I will have a system freeze (screen freezes, no input allowed, and I have to manually restart).

:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back