Contribute
Register

USB3.0 external hard drive not showing in Finder / Disk Utility...HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexone

Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I saw this in an old post from the old tonymac site and revised, then posted here as I am having the same issue that was reported...

I have a WD My Passport 2TB USB3.0 drive. When I first got it, it was recognized when plugged into the USB3.0 port but unable to be written to as it had NTFS filesystem. I reformatted the drive to work with Mac and at first all was good until I started receiving errors that the disk was not ejected properly and the drive would not mount nor be recognized.

Now it's not recognizing it at all in the USB3.0 port. Saying that, System Information recognizes it no problem (see screen shot), but Finder and Disk Utility won't show it at all - no matter how many times I unplug it and plug it back in.

Note that plugging it in to any of the USB2.0 ports presents no problem. I have made sure that finder preferences are checked on to show external drives as well.

What could be causing this and how can I get the drives to be recognized/mounted via USB3.0? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Me Too!

Same issue with Toshiba 1tb on ga-h61n-usb3 running Lion.

I saw this in an old post from the old tonymac site and revised, then posted here as I am having the same issue that was reported...

I have a WD My Passport 2TB USB3.0 drive. When I first got it, it was recognized when plugged into the USB3.0 port but unable to be written to as it had NTFS filesystem. I reformatted the drive to work with Mac and at first all was good until I started receiving errors that the disk was not ejected properly and the drive would not mount nor be recognized.

Now it's not recognizing it at all in the USB3.0 port. Saying that, System Information recognizes it no problem (see screen shot), but Finder and Disk Utility won't show it at all - no matter how many times I unplug it and plug it back in.

Note that plugging it in to any of the USB2.0 ports presents no problem. I have made sure that finder preferences are checked on to show external drives as well.

What could be causing this and how can I get the drives to be recognized/mounted via USB3.0? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody has found an answer to this yet? Running the new USB 3.0 kext from Multibeast 5.0.2 does not resolve the issue. In fact, the kexts that it installs do not even detect the device on the hub in System Report. I reverted back to the PXHCD.kext and then it detects the drive on the hub in System Report...but will not mount the drive nor will in show up in Disk Utility. Please help!!

Attachments

• 2012-08-19_10-12-46.png
    2012-08-19_10-12-46.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 2012-08-19_10-13-43.png
    2012-08-19_10-13-43.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,120
I had the same issue and solved it.

just go to your BIOS and change the Peripherals > xHCI Mode from Smart Auto to Auto. After reboot your USB 3.0 HDD should be available in Finder even if it is sticked into a USB 3 Port again.:thumbup:

I would try what is stated above, or in my case the upgrade to 10.8.1 Fixed my USB3.

[Resolved]USB3.0 external hard drive not showing in Finder / Disk Utility...HELP!!

just go to your BIOS and change the Peripherals > xHCI Mode from Smart Auto to Auto. After reboot your USB 3.0 HDD should be available in Finder even if it is sticked into a USB 3 Port again.:thumbup:

I would try what is stated above, or in my case the upgrade to 10.8.1 Fixed my USB3.

Hey Guys...I have no such xHCI Mode option in my BIOS. Please look at the following link for screen shots of of every setting in my BIOS and offer any additional guidance

Click this link for BIOS screenshots --> My BIOS Screen Shots

I have managed to resolve this by installing this updated Lacie kext for a NEC 720200 chipset USB 3.0 controller

Attachments

• LaCie-USB-3.0-Driver.1.0.10.dmg.zip
    292.4 KB · Views: 767

I know this sound crazy but if you have a mother board that has multiple different ports of USB I plugged mine in to a 3.1 port and wiggled it then it showed up oddly enough and have done that ever sense

I have a GA-z170x-ud5-th and this option does not show but under peripherals I set to "enabled" all the options that showed xHCI mode and it solved the problem.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back