USB WiFi Dongles - The Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
kube said:
Heya there,

has someone made some xp with this tiny beautiful dongle:
http://www.amazon.de/Edimax-EW-7811UN-W ... 495&sr=8-1

31yR1lEMnoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would love to know if this one works ...

Thanks!

I can't find that one available for sale anywhere :[ I found this one, which is reported to work with OS X, and should (in theory) work with a Hackintosh.
3132KljJYyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/PLANEX-Wireless-N ... =pd_cp_e_3

I was using a TrendNet branded USB wireless-N adapter (ralink chipset). It worked OK when I had my Netgear N router (the ralink software interface leaves something to be desired but it did work). However when I changed to an Apple Airport Extreme router (current version), the trendnet/ralink dongle caused problems. I could see in the router log file that the adapter was connecting/disconnecting from the router every 6 seconds or so. Suffice to say I could not get usable transfer rates this way.

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried re-instaling the latest ralink SL drivers but no difference so far.

What is a good cheap USB stick to buy in the UK. I don't need N as the router I have can only handle g maximum.

Linksys WUSB100 v2 - it uses the RT3070 chipset and MAC drivers can be downloaded here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

I installed them and things worked great!

I had this lying around after I bought it refurbished from Newegg months ago for a really old notebook. The notebook crashed like a week later (graphics card) and I just threw it out. Glad I found a new purpose for this!

tonymacx86 said:
I don't use wifi on my rigs since they're connected to ethernet, but there are some USB Wifi devices that show up as airport natively. I'll see if I can dig a few up. :thumbup:

So, does anybody have any idea about USB wifi dongles that work with airport as Tony stated he had heard of?

I purchased this dongle and it is working just fine with the updated drivers from the ralink website. However, every time I reboot the system I have to manually reconnect the wifi by turning off the radio then turning it back on. Is there a way to fix this issue?

Thanks

jorpe said:
USB\VID_148F&PID_3070&REV_0101

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0311865

I can't get this to work. It has the RALink chip in it.

help?

Installed the drivers from the ralink website and it worked after a restart

Like to report that following cards worked successfully:

WiFi
1. Sabrent USB 2.0 Wireless 802.11N - (Model USB-A11N, UPC#: 857161001502) - I downloaded and installed the driver from the Sabrent website.

Bluetooth
2. IOGEAR Bluetooth 2.1 USB Micro Adapter (Model: GBU421, UPC#: 881317009401) - packaging shows its compliant with Bluetooth 2.1 and has a 30 feet range. - did not have to install any additional drivers.

Gripes (very small - can definitely live with them) with the USB WiFi
a) The wireless network utility starts up every time the system boots. - is there a way to prevent this auto-start of this utility on plugging in this wifi adapter.

b) Could only get reliable connection when plugged into the Apple 27" Cinema Display USB port. When plugged into the back of the desktop, the connection would drop frequently and was not fast enough even though the signal strength was > 90%.

wantamac said:
a) The wireless network utility starts up every time the system boots. - is there a way to prevent this auto-start of this utility on plugging in this wifi adapter.

b) Could only get reliable connection when plugged into the Apple 27" Cinema Display USB port. When plugged into the back of the desktop, the connection would drop frequently and was not fast enough even though the signal strength was > 90%.

i think youll find the wireless utility is probably necessary to run if it is a realtek chipset like mine. you can check in system preferences and then accounts and there is some login items listed there u could try disabling them or if it is an app that appears as an icon in the dock you could check to see by right clicking on the dock item choose options and see if open at login is ticked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back