Contribute
Register

USB WiFi Dongles - The Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: USB WiFi Dongles - The Thread (ASUS USB-N13 B1)

I found out the hard way that there are two ASUS USB-N13 models. The newer one (version B1) uses a Realtek chip. If you are having problems with your N13 check the USB section under System Profile. Find the device - if Manufacturer is listed as Realtek, download the driver from the ASUS website. My wireless worked right away after I installed the proper next on my Lion 7.1 install.

The proper kext is named RTL8192CU7.kext

I bought an ASUS USB N10, I can only connect to home wifi. But can't connect to campus wifi, which requires both username and password. This option doesn't popup, instead I get the usual screen to enter: "Network key:" Does it support WPA-Enterprise network on 10.7.4? Is there any way to make it work? or other brands adapter work? It uses the realtek 8188SU chip, which most of the other adapter brands use.
help is greatly appreciated

So, I'm confused... I have the Rosewill RNX-N180UBE WI-FI adapter and I need a driver or something because wifi doesn't show up in network prefs.

How can I download and install a driver because they are for PC and obviously mine is a Hack?

flyfid

Hey everyone! On the recommendation of this forum, I purchased (for $10), a D-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle.

That's D-Link_DWA-131_rev_A1 (RTL8192SU chipset), using this driver, as suggested:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/do...peID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8192SU

I am having a lot of connection problems with it, which I believe are software-based. I really doubt it's currently configured correctly. I don't know what I'm doing, I suppose.

Here is what the Wireless Network Utility looks like right now. It's disconnected, and I've blanked out the specific names and numbers but you'll get the idea.
http://orangecow.org/1random/disconnectedwifi.png

Occasionally, the dongle will connect. It only likes to be plugged into the port in the front of the computer, generally, and it feels like other USB devices are interfering with it.

When it's connected, the signal is generally very weak and slow, and it will suddenly disconnect again for no clear reason and refuse to connect again. I have gotten speeds up to 100k per second, but generally if it's supposedly connected, webpages will barely load at all. It's extremely slow.

I wanted to post an image of what it looks like connected, but apart from a few seconds this morning it hasn't "connected" at all today.

I found out the hard way that there are two ASUS USB-N13 models. The newer one (version B1) uses a Realtek chip. If you are having problems with your N13 check the USB section under System Profile. Find the device - if Manufacturer is listed as Realtek, download the driver from the ASUS website. My wireless worked right away after I installed the proper next on my Lion 7.1 install.

The proper kext is named RTL8192CU7.kext

Thank you so much for that info, wasted some days trying to install the wrong one!

Wifi Nano USB dongle, working solidly on Mojave 10.14.6 on an Intel NUC8i7BEH.

Bought on Amazon UK for about £12
Once the drivers are installed [above link] you don't even need to unplug/plug the dongle after each reboot.

try this super driver by chris...it's working & awesome!

catalina ready...

credit goes to author!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back