Contribute
Register

USB problems - Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi both -

I'm really grateful for your help - very kind of you.

I have attached what I hope is my IORegistryExplorer export, my CLOVER folder, and a screenshot of the USB page of Hackintool.

I'll take a look through the RehabMan guide and see if I can achieve anything myself. If you have the time to take a look at my uploads and let me know if there's anything obviously amiss, that would be incredibly helpful.

I will never cease to be amazed by how complex some of the stuff that computers just do nowadays is!

Hi there.

Thanks for the uploads.

Have you tried the Scarlett Audio in a USB3 port? Hackintool shows the one it is plugged into is only configured as a USB2 port. Is the Scarlett itself only a USB2 device?

IOReg shows the port power - and this looks okay. The SSDT is doing its job. We can dig more as we learn more ...

:)

Hi again,

Just did the whole port testing process for a second time and think I have the same result. I took this screenshot showing the ports that I deleted and the green ones match up with the numbers I noted down during the process. I have shown the USB 2.0/3.0 pairs that I noted down together below. Two of the ports on the back (one of which the Scarlett was plugged into) are USB2.0 sockets. No change after rebooting, I'm afraid.

I've also just tried the Scarlett in a USB3.0 port but it is only a USB2.0 device so as expected I don't think it's made a difference.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but I don't seem to be able to wake the computer from sleep by pressing keys / shaking the mouse as I was able to previously.

Front
HS09
SS07

HS10
SS08

Back
HS04

HS03

HS05
SS01

HS01
SS03

HS02
SS04

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 21.56.19.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 21.56.19.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 43
Hi again,

Just did the whole port testing process for a second time and think I have the same result. I took this screenshot showing the ports that I deleted and the green ones match up with the numbers I noted down during the process. I have shown the USB 2.0/3.0 pairs that I noted down together below. Two of the ports on the back (one of which the Scarlett was plugged into) are USB2.0 sockets. No change after rebooting, I'm afraid.

I've also just tried the Scarlett in a USB3.0 port but it is only a USB2.0 device so as expected I don't think it's made a difference.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but I don't seem to be able to wake the computer from sleep by pressing keys / shaking the mouse as I was able to previously.

Front
HS09
SS07

HS10
SS08

Back
HS04

HS03

HS05
SS01

HS01
SS03

HS02
SS04

Thanks!
if you have USB2.0 ports as well, you will need to change them from USB3.0 to USB2.0 (use the drop down)

if you have USB2.0 ports as well, you will need to change them from USB3.0 to USB2.0 (use the drop down)

Sorry I should've shown that. Please see attached. Hopefully this is what you mean.

The Scarlett is now in a USB3.0 port as can be seen.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 22.12.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 22.12.45.png
    167 KB · Views: 62
Should I be doing something with the SSDT-UIAC.aml produced by Hackintool? This is referenced in the RehabMan power guide but I've not seen anything saying that it should be added to my 'patched' folder in the Hackintool custom SSDT guide?

Sorry I should've shown that. Please see attached. Hopefully this is what you mean.

The Scarlett is now in a USB3.0 port as can be seen.

That latest image looked confusing when compared with the one in post #12. You can see a whole lot of duplicated LocationIDs in the earlier one.

However, in the latest screengrab all looks good.

Moving on...

I note the wake problem. I guess your wireless mouse/keyboard are not bluetooth, but rather a normal wireless types? The USB Receiver entries? The lack of wake can be because in sleep mode the USB power to the ports is too low.

Your SSDT-UIAC.aml should go in the same folder as your SSDT-EC-USBX.aml - EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

HOWEVER I see you also have a USBPorts.kext installed.

You should choose one method or the other: USBInjectAll.kext + SSDT-UIAC.aml - OR - USBPorts.kext on its own. Not both.

(The SSDT-EC-USBX.aml is okay to use with the USBPorts.kext).

If your Scarlett audio is only USB2 then it shouldn't need more than 500ma. No real need for extra power configurations tbh.

The kext/Other folder:

Remove XHCI-unsupported.kext

The drivers/UEFI folder:

I think you need the VirtualSmc.efi file in there to support the VirtualSMC.kext. Having said that, clearly your PC is booting okay, so YMMV.

I need coffee now ....

Thanks very much. I’ll see if I can give it a quick go tonight - otherwise in the morning!

Thanks very much. I’ll see if I can give it a quick go tonight - otherwise in the morning!
Just had a chance to try it. Ultimately I think the only change relevant to the current problem thst you suggested was the removal of XHCI-unsupported. Although this didn’t fix the issue, my boot times just got a lot quicker!

Let me know if you have any brain-waves over night!
Thanks again.

Actually, it now seems to be working as expected. No audio drop outs during unplugging / plugging in USB devices. I'll update if this changes but I think you've done it.

Thank you so much again - you've saved me a lot of frustration.

That latest image looked confusing when compared with the one in post #12. You can see a whole lot of duplicated LocationIDs in the earlier one.

However, in the latest screengrab all looks good.

Moving on...

I note the wake problem. I guess your wireless mouse/keyboard are not bluetooth, but rather a normal wireless types? The USB Receiver entries? The lack of wake can be because in sleep mode the USB power to the ports is too low.

Your SSDT-UIAC.aml should go in the same folder as your SSDT-EC-USBX.aml - EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

HOWEVER I see you also have a USBPorts.kext installed.

You should choose one method or the other: USBInjectAll.kext + SSDT-UIAC.aml - OR - USBPorts.kext on its own. Not both.

(The SSDT-EC-USBX.aml is okay to use with the USBPorts.kext).

If your Scarlett audio is only USB2 then it shouldn't need more than 500ma. No real need for extra power configurations tbh.

The kext/Other folder:

Remove XHCI-unsupported.kext

The drivers/UEFI folder:

I think you need the VirtualSmc.efi file in there to support the VirtualSMC.kext. Having said that, clearly your PC is booting okay, so YMMV.

I need coffee now ....

Hi UtterDisbelief, Feartech,

I'm really sorry to come crawling back again but although I had thought my problems were solved by removing XHCI-unsupported.kext as you suggested, they appear to have come back again. In reality, I think it must be a temperatmental issue.

I have since tried changing BIOS settings around wake via USB, tried a BIOS reset to defaults, checked my NVRAM is working (as I had concerns that it wasn't) and checked that Hackintool is reporting the USB ports correctly.

If either of you have any further ideas I would be really grateful as this is driving me a bit crazy!!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back