MSI MPG Z370 Gaming Plus
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi,

I've had a working Hackintosh install for a while but recently decided to upgrade to an Intel i5 8600k and MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus. At the same time, I moved from Nvidia to an AMD Vega 56 in order to upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina.

The upgrade all went very smoothly and I took the time to remove any unncessary fixes in Clover Configurator to have a clean install.

Unfortuantely, since the upgrade, I have developed an annoying issue with USB. Whenever I either unplug or plug in a USB device, all USB devices appear to crash and restart. I have a USB interface (Focusrite 2i4 gen 1) and this means that audio cuts out whenever I do anything with USB. Sometimes everything goes back to normal a couple of seconds later, and sometimes I have to unplug and plug back in the audio interface.

I've attached a screenshot of my console when unplugging a USB device. I think the issue can be seen from this but it hasn't been very useful in helping me work out the issue.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 10.38.56.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 10.38.56.png
    501.8 KB · Views: 68
Hi,

I've had a working Hackintosh install for a while but recently decided to upgrade to an Intel i5 8600k and MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus. At the same time, I moved from Nvidia to an AMD Vega 56 in order to upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina.

The upgrade all went very smoothly and I took the time to remove any unncessary fixes in Clover Configurator to have a clean install.

Unfortuantely, since the upgrade, I have developed an annoying issue with USB. Whenever I either unplug or plug in a USB device, all USB devices appear to crash and restart. I have a USB interface (Focusrite 2i4 gen 1) and this means that audio cuts out whenever I do anything with USB. Sometimes everything goes back to normal a couple of seconds later, and sometimes I have to unplug and plug back in the audio interface.

I've attached a screenshot of my console when unplugging a USB device. I think the issue can be seen from this but it hasn't been very useful in helping me work out the issue.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Appreciate the quick response! I'm afraid creating a custom USB SSDT doesn't seem to change anything. I did check that Hackintool shows fewer than 15 ports following the install of the new kext.

Any other ideas?

I've just reinstalled Catalina from scratch and am still facing these issues. Please could you confirm if it is excactly these sorts of issues that SSDTs should fix? If so, I've probably made a mistake.

I've just reinstalled Catalina from scratch and am still facing these issues. Please could you confirm if it is excactly these sorts of issues that SSDTs should fix? If so, I've probably made a mistake.
doing the usb port guide can solve a lot of issues

make sure your ports are setup as either USB2.0 or USB3.0 and your internals (if any) are set to internal
etc

Thanks.

I did go through and change that for a couple of USB 2.0 ports. I also added the generated SSDT-EC-USBX.aml file to my EFI partition as suggested by the Hackintool guide. Unfortunately, there is no change.

I also confirmed that there is no USB weirdness going on in Windows.

If you have any other ideas I'd be really grateful. Not sure what my next steps will be otherwise!

Thanks.

I did go through and change that for a couple of USB 2.0 ports. I also added the generated SSDT-EC-USBX.aml file to my EFI partition as suggested by the Hackintool guide. Unfortunately, there is no change.

I also confirmed that there is no USB weirdness going on in Windows.

If you have any other ideas I'd be really grateful. Not sure what my next steps will be otherwise!
maybe if you take a screen shot of your hackintool usb port page and upload your zipped clover folder, maybe @UtterDisbelief may also be able to shed some light on the situation

maybe if you take a screen shot of your hackintool usb port page and upload your zipped clover folder, maybe @UtterDisbelief may also be able to shed some light on the situation

Hi both,

Yes, it certainly looks like a USB power problem.

If you have used the Hackintool exported SSDT-EC-USBX.aml file properly, and it has made no difference, then the only way to check the power output is with an IORegistryExplorer export. Having said that, if there is nothing obvious then it will be a case of working though the @RehabMan guide:

He knows that of which he speaks, and it's a steep learning curve. Basically a lot of what is in here is done by Hackintool anyway, but there is so much more to try if the standard techniques are not working ...

:)

Hi both -

I'm really grateful for your help - very kind of you.

I have attached what I hope is my IORegistryExplorer export, my CLOVER folder, and a screenshot of the USB page of Hackintool.

I'll take a look through the RehabMan guide and see if I can achieve anything myself. If you have the time to take a look at my uploads and let me know if there's anything obviously amiss, that would be incredibly helpful.

I will never cease to be amazed by how complex some of the stuff that computers just do nowadays is!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    14.1 MB · Views: 49
  • iMac.ioreg
    7.7 MB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 21.30.18.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 21.30.18.png
    375.2 KB · Views: 44
Hi both -

I'm really grateful for your help - very kind of you.

I have attached what I hope is my IORegistryExplorer export, my CLOVER folder, and a screenshot of the USB page of Hackintool.

I'll take a look through the RehabMan guide and see if I can achieve anything myself. If you have the time to take a look at my uploads and let me know if there's anything obviously amiss, that would be incredibly helpful.

I will never cease to be amazed by how complex some of the stuff that computers just do nowadays is!
normally you would have 2x ports for usb3.0 ie hs01 and ss02 would make up your usb3.0 port

you seem to be missing a few

did you clear all those ports and click the refresh button before you tested each port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back