Contribute
Register

USB ports stop randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I'm using Casey's Golden Build USBPorts kext (thank you!). Despite this, the crash just happened twice more and I'm starting to think that it's actually the graphics card freezing, which is why I'm not seeing any USB device input (mouse, keyboard and others) react on screen.

I've been having issues with my graphics card ever since upgrading to Catalina (see existing thread here), and it just happened when playing a game and I could hear the game sound effects reacting to my keyboard even though the screen was frozen.

Thing is, I've updated whatevergreen, lilu, and other kexts and even tried a new graphics card (Sapphire 5700 XT with this guide) and the issue persists. It's so strange. Running Valley benchmark doesn't reproduce the issue, and it can happen randomly, even when using Finder.

I also replaced OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi with AptioMemoryFix.efi + AptioInputFix.efi. Thank god for that.

I'm using an 850W Platinum Seasonic power supply (link) so I'd love to assume power isn't the issue, since swapping out the PSU would be a pita.

I tried reinstalling macOS with the 10.15.7 Combo Update but the Installer won't let me choose my system drive: "Update can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

I also tried installing the 2022-005 Security Update and it doesn't stick — the installation process happens, but when the computer boots up the update is still available in System Prefs, like nothing happened.

Do you have any ideas of things I can try? I'm desperate. Even considering getting a Sonnet or Inateck PCIe USB card to take more load off the USB, on the off-chance that helps (I do have a ton of USB devices connected, many through a powered hub).

Edit: just had another crash where the screen didn't freeze but only *some* USB devices froze. I ordered a Sonnet Allegro Pro, although I'd love to try more things in the meantime cuz I doubt that will help.

Last edited:
Hi @Edhawk

I'm going through your recommendations another time. I'm at the ACPI section in Post #3 and noticed your Patches differ a bit from Casey's in his golden build thread. I'm curious if you remember why that is.

Here's Casey's
1660171437847.png

Thanks again!
Nathan

Attachments

• 1660171324174.png
    1660171324174.png
    339.2 KB · Views: 27
No I don't know why they would be different.

I couldn't see any difference in the SAT0 to SATA rename patch when I looked at the image in post #3.

Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 01.01.50.png

If you are asking why the HDAS to HDEF rename patch is not included, that is because AppleALC.kext deals with the audio device renames, so they are not required in the config.plist.

Same way WhateverGreen.kext deals with the IGPU and dGPU renames. If you use those two kexts, which nearly everyone does, then you don't need a number of previously commonly used rename patches for Audio and Graphics.

Sorry, the red highlights in my screenshot were done by Casey not me, so disregard those.

As you can see, he only has 2 patches and you listed 6. Right now I have all 6 enabled, I assume that's ok?

Anyway, the crashlogs are showing GPURestart. I'm curious if it's because I'm using a TV instead of a monitor. Is this possible?

I'm connected over HDMI but am using Displayport adapter. Seems stable when I'm not using that, but that disables HiDPI so it's hard for me to test for very long. Trying now. Maybe I need a monitor with a DP input?

Using the six ACPI rename patches is fine. It definitely won’t hurt your CFL system.

Using adapters can be problematic with macOS, even when they are active adapters. Passive adapters are to be avoided as they are not good when it comes to DP to HDMI sign conversion.

Using HDMI can also be problematic in macOS as most SMBIOS don’t expect a HDMI to be present or used. They expect DP and LDVS (internal display) connectors to be used. If you have a HDMI to HDMI cable that might work better than using the adapter, assuming you have a spare HDMI connector on the dGPU.

DP to DP is usually the most compatible solution for macOS so if you have a DP display it would be good to use it in place of the TV, assuming it is a reasonable size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back