Contribute
Register

USB ports stop randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I managed to fix iMessages by reverting everything. Phew.

I assume it happened cuz my Clover Config got messed up (partially wrong SMBIOS like you said). Which fixes are safe to try (Clover, USBPorts.kext, removing old Bluetooth/audio driver kexts) without risking losing iMessages again? I will try one fix at a time.
Yes, Clover can be buggy. Which application were you using to edit the config.plist? As this can be another source of bugginess.
I was using Clover to edit.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Do you mean you were using Clover Configurator to edit the config.plist? Which version of Clover Configurator are you using? The latest is version 5.18.3.0.

Bluetooth and USBPorts not working or not being present shouldn't affect your Messages/iMessages setup.

iMessages is set by your SMBIOS being correct, i.e. using a serial number and board serial number that is not being used by a real Mac, plus your Ethernet port being set with en0, and your WiFi being set as en1 or en2.

Do you mean you were using Clover Configurator to edit the config.plist?
Yes, version 5095. I'm not sure why the versioning is so different from what you mentioned, 5.18.3.0.

I'm hesitant to update further because it says this in the Golden Build guide you linked:
URGENT: Please avoid Clover 5123 and newer for the time being.
Secondly, would you say it's safe to update Lilu and Whatevergreen? Or wouldn't it help in this case?

So for now, I've removed the Bluetooth and audio driver kexts — maybe that will fix it. If I get another hang, then I will try USBPorts.kext. If I get another hang, I will try the Clover edits. I think that is the best way?

Thanks again for all your help — you rock.

We are talking about two different applications.
  • 5095 relates to the version of the Clover installer you are using. This is the bootloader app used to boot macOS.
  • 5.18.3.0 relates to the latest version of Clover Configurator. This is an app used to edit the Clover config.plist and undertake other common tasks, such as mounting the EFI partition on your USB or macOS drive.
The two are not related by version numbers in any way.

Here is a link to the Clover Configurator application site - https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/

I would recommend you update the version of Clover you are using (Clover_r5095) to Clover_r5119 or Clover_r5120. As you said the later versions were a bit messed up, due to the Clover developers incorporating a number of features from OpenCore, unsuccessfully. Copy of Clover_r5119 installer attached, which works perfectly well with Mojave and Catalina.

It is unlikely that AppleALC.kext would be affecting your USB ports. You do not need to remove this kext.

Updating Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext will not hurt your system. They are unlikely to offer much in the way of new features in relation to your setup, as any new fixes or patches added to either kext will mostly deal with newer IGPU's and discrete GPU's etc.

Attachments

• Clover_r5119.zip
    8 MB · Views: 65
We are talking about two different applications.
I see now. A glance at the About screen shows I'm on 5.18.3.0.
Copy of Clover_r5119 installer attached, which works perfectly well with Mojave and Catalina.
Thank you for the upload! I will install this first then, on the next system hang.
It is unlikely that AppleALC.kext would be affecting your USB ports. You do not need to remove this kext.
I actually meant my Apogee audio interface driver — SDOverride that you mentioned may be causing an issue.
Updating Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext will not hurt your system. They are unlikely to offer much in the way of new features in relation to your setup, as any new fixes or patches added to either kext will mostly deal with newer IGPU's and discrete GPU's etc.
Got it — noted.

Thank you!

I'm back :)

The crashes started again — I've narrowed it down to it happening only when I'm working on certain music sessions.

I updated Clover to 5119, used CaseySJ's USBPorts.kext and did all the ACPI changes you listed (although your screenshot still looked slightly different from mine because I had extra options checked from the initial setup someone helped me with), and I'm still having the random USB freezes.

I'm sure these updates will help my system in general. Just wanted to let you know that I ended up implementing these and that it's much appreciated. If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

First, OsxAptioFix2Drv-free200.efi is known to cause issues when used in a hack's Clover setup. You need to switch to one of the other Aptio drivers. Even the developer of this driver has stated that people should not use it.
I just noticed this — should I still try it, and if so, how would I go about it?

Also... my system definition is iMac19,1 and I noticed CaseySJ's USBPorts.kext says Macmini8,1 which is what he used for his build. I left this unchanged, is that right? Having a 9900k I think I want to use iMac19,1.

Edit: The creator of free200 says:
"You should try the fixes in this order, AptioMemoryFix, OsxAptioFix3Drv, OsxAptioFix2Drv, OsxAptioFixDrv".
Do you agree with that? If I try AptioMemoryFix, do I remove EmuVariableUefi?

Last edited:
What is different about those music sessions that causes the system to crash? Greater call on the Audio device or something along those lines.

Those initial options, assuming they are ACPI rename patches, may not be required. AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext provide a number of rename patches as standard.

These include: GFX0 to IGPU, PEGP to GFX0, HECI to IMEI, MEI to IMEI, HDAS to HDEF, B0D3 to HDAU

None of the above are required, they can in fact clash with the settings in WhateverGreen.kext and AppleALC.kext.

Do not use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. EVER!

Replace this with one of the Aptio drivers, copies of the drivers are attached below.

When using AptioMemoryFix.efi you should also use AptioInputFix.efi.

OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi was dropped from Clover installer quite some time ago, due to a few issues, so don't use that one either.

The Drivers below are from a copy of the Off folder I added to a setup for someone else, when they wanted to use Clover_r5137. So they are pretty recent in respect of what you were using previously.

Attachments

• OsxAptioFixDrv.efi.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 36
  • OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi.zip
    10 KB · Views: 42
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 39
  • AptioInputFix.efi.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 47
Thanks @Edhawk! I just booted with AptioMemoryFix.efi + AptioInputFix.efi with no problem.

I removed OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi but did not remove EmuVariableUefi — curious if I should do that.

However, I did a stress test last night and my computer crashed again. I simply ran the music session all night... it ran for 6 hours before crashing which seems about normal.

Would crash reports would be helpful? I have a dozen of them.
What is different about those music sessions that causes the system to crash? Greater call on the Audio device or something along those lines.
That is the question, and I've been trying to narrow it down. The audio software makes crash reports, and the developer is helping me investigate them, but so far it's been dead ends. And the symptoms seem hackintosh-esque to me, which is why I'm keen to approach it from a hardware+driver angle.

It's definitely not CPU load, or the amount of audio data passing through the audio device (which is minimal). I've had issues with my GPU before but I fixed them by flashing it. Otherwise this build has worked great.
  • I guess tonight I'll try another stress test with everything unplugged from the USB ports?
  • Then I'll try another where an alternate (not USB) audio device is being used.
Thanks again.

This is what EmuvariableUefi.efi does:

EmuVariableUefi.efi is a 64bit driver for support of NVRAM variables needed by macOS. Most UEFI systems boot using hardware NVRAM, but in some rare cases this driver is needed.

The driver should only be used if you have a problem booting without it.

It is not used in OpenCore, as that bootloader deals with Nvram in a different way.

If you don't already have a USBPorts.kext I would recommend you read and follow this guide by UtterDisbelief. As the issues you are facing my be purely down to how the USB ports are configured in your setup.

Don't compare how your device works in Windows, they use different drivers in Windows, the USB ports are configured differently too. So while the Audio device may be the same, the processes that happen in the background in the two OS's are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back