Register

USB ports stop randomly

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE + Clover
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Okay I managed to fix iMessages by reverting everything. Phew.

I assume it happened cuz my Clover Config got messed up (partially wrong SMBIOS like you said). Which fixes are safe to try (Clover, USBPorts.kext, removing old Bluetooth/audio driver kexts) without risking losing iMessages again? I will try one fix at a time.
Yes, Clover can be buggy. Which application were you using to edit the config.plist? As this can be another source of bugginess.
I was using Clover to edit.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600 / RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Do you mean you were using Clover Configurator to edit the config.plist? Which version of Clover Configurator are you using? The latest is version 5.18.3.0.

Bluetooth and USBPorts not working or not being present shouldn't affect your Messages/iMessages setup.

iMessages is set by your SMBIOS being correct, i.e. using a serial number and board serial number that is not being used by a real Mac, plus your Ethernet port being set with en0, and your WiFi being set as en1 or en2.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Do you mean you were using Clover Configurator to edit the config.plist?
Yes, version 5095. I'm not sure why the versioning is so different from what you mentioned, 5.18.3.0.

I'm hesitant to update further because it says this in the Golden Build guide you linked:
URGENT: Please avoid Clover 5123 and newer for the time being.
Secondly, would you say it's safe to update Lilu and Whatevergreen? Or wouldn't it help in this case?

So for now, I've removed the Bluetooth and audio driver kexts — maybe that will fix it. If I get another hang, then I will try USBPorts.kext. If I get another hang, I will try the Clover edits. I think that is the best way?

Thanks again for all your help — you rock.

Edhawk

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600 / RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
We are talking about two different applications.
  • 5095 relates to the version of the Clover installer you are using. This is the bootloader app used to boot macOS.
  • 5.18.3.0 relates to the latest version of Clover Configurator. This is an app used to edit the Clover config.plist and undertake other common tasks, such as mounting the EFI partition on your USB or macOS drive.
The two are not related by version numbers in any way.

Here is a link to the Clover Configurator application site - https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/

I would recommend you update the version of Clover you are using (Clover_r5095) to Clover_r5119 or Clover_r5120. As you said the later versions were a bit messed up, due to the Clover developers incorporating a number of features from OpenCore, unsuccessfully. Copy of Clover_r5119 installer attached, which works perfectly well with Mojave and Catalina.

It is unlikely that AppleALC.kext would be affecting your USB ports. You do not need to remove this kext.

Updating Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext will not hurt your system. They are unlikely to offer much in the way of new features in relation to your setup, as any new fixes or patches added to either kext will mostly deal with newer IGPU's and discrete GPU's etc.

Attachments

• Clover_r5119.zip
    8 MB · Views: 3
Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
We are talking about two different applications.
I see now. A glance at the About screen shows I'm on 5.18.3.0.
Copy of Clover_r5119 installer attached, which works perfectly well with Mojave and Catalina.
Thank you for the upload! I will install this first then, on the next system hang.
It is unlikely that AppleALC.kext would be affecting your USB ports. You do not need to remove this kext.
I actually meant my Apogee audio interface driver — SDOverride that you mentioned may be causing an issue.
Updating Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext will not hurt your system. They are unlikely to offer much in the way of new features in relation to your setup, as any new fixes or patches added to either kext will mostly deal with newer IGPU's and discrete GPU's etc.
Got it — noted.

Thank you!