Motherboard
MSI MEG Z590 ACE
CPU
i9-10900
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi. I'm Using a MSI MEG Z590 ACE Motherboard with MacOS BigSur.
MB: MSI MEG Z590 ACE
Processor: Intel core i9 10900
Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon RX570
Loader: Opencore 0.7.2 Release
I was using it (I think it was 11.1) with no troubles and, then, I Updated it to 11.5.1, and now none of my USB ports work. I've read that i must remap the USB ports, but I'm having a hard time doing it, because my usb ports aren't recognized at all. USB-C doesn't work either, so my USB hubs are useless, but I am able to use an USB mouse and keyboard thanks to the fact that my MB has a thunderbolt port and I have a thunderbolt dock/USB-HUB attached to it.
I have hackintool, Opencoreconfigurator, IOReg as tools, but the help I found about how to do it, does not help since it covers big sur until 11.3 or chipsets until z490 and i got lost because i follow the steps but my system does not see the USBs
My USB controller says in hackintool
Type . ID . Name . Series . Vendor . Device ID
XHCI . 0x14 . Tiger Lake-H USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 xHCI Host Controller . Unknown . 0x8086 . 0x43ED

Some help about how can I do my propper USB mapping withoun having to install catalina?
Thank you!

Hi - did you solve this?

+1
I also have 0x8086:0x43ED USB and totally hands down...

Sorry for not to reply, since I had this issue no more, I stopped checking this thread hehe.
Mapping my USB ports wasn't easy, but it was possible.
You are going to need:
-Hardware:
>An USB with your opencore loader ready to boot your HackOS
>An USB 2.x Flashdrive
>An USB 3.x Flashdrive (if it works as both 2.x and 3.x, it only counts as if it were 3.0)
>Another Mac to work with some files in yur Opencore USB (can be An actual mac, a hackintosh, a virtual mac in a VM, etc)
>and, of course, the Build you are working on.
-Software
>A couple of USB Kexts, preferrable of Z490 and Z590 chipset (If your chipset is diferent, look for anoter set of USB kext). Since our Keyboard and Mouse needs USB to work with, we need a start point, The kexts are for that (at least one is going to have 2 or more functional ports)
>corpnewt USBMap
>hackintool (This is optional since we will use USBMap to do the hard work, but is useful if you want to understand what are you doing)
-Extras
>Pencil, paper and basic drawing skills.

Before you start
Always Keep a Working (or the thing that is more aproached to that) copy of your Opencore bootloader

You have to relation your phisical USB ports to the existing Logical ports. Both already exists and are bonded by the OS, but you dont know how they connect and which one is which (the Z590 chipset has near 54 ports available, and you have to limit up to 15, otherwise, there will be a lot or bloody tears in your future). For this we are going to use USBMap to determine which one is which and know which are going to be used ad which are going to be discarded.
Run the script and a terminal window will open showing a full tree of logical USB ports.this tree will have some empty branches ad some other will be populated. Take your USB 2.0 Flashdrive. If it is enabled, when you insert an USB device into a physical port, its correspondent logical port will be populated (if this happens, I strogly suggest to take the pencil and the paper, draw the port layout and whrite the name or denomination of the logical port on it, so you wont forget or confuse in the future.) If nothing happens, move to the next port, and so on. Do this with all your USB port and, when finish, try the USB3.x Flashdrive. Each one of your Physical USB 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 ports counts as TWO LOGICAL USB PORTS, one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0. Also Your USB Type-C could be one or Two logical ports (this depends on the board, the asy way to discover it is to flip the cable and see if another branch populates or if the device stops responding). If you connect a USB HUB (or if your MB has it built in) it counts as one USB device which, if enabled, ever will be populated, no matters how many devices you plug into it (except if the HUB is USB 2.x and 3.x, in that case, it counts as 2 devices).
When you are finished, you can generate your own kext if you are good to go or try another 3rd party to try to discover more ports (Big sur will only allow you to use the first 15 ports that are enabled, so if you wanna try to cheat by enabling them all, I have very bad news for you...)
When you have enough working ports, but still cant identify and reach the 15 port limit, I suggest to enable 2 known USB 2.0 Ports for the mouse and keyboard (remember you had to draw the port layout and take notes of its logical name?, this is why) and manually enable all the remaining ports that you dont know in batchs of 13 and repeat the discovery with flashdrives until the unknown branches runs out.

Once you know all your port layout in terms of logical names, you have to choose which ports are you going to use and to say goodbye to another ones.
Remember that the USB 3.x and 2.x comes in a bundle. You can enable USB 2.x and safely disable 3.x to convert it in a pure USB 2.0 port, however, I DONT RECOMEND TO DISABLE 2.x AND KEEP ENABLED 3.x since It may cause some unstability and headaches.

Final Notes.
I wrote this in a haste, all the USB Mapping is very extensive, but it isn´t hard to understand once you start to see how it works so, If you cant understand at first, give yourself the chance to experiment a little and, later come back to the theory.
If you need more info or want to have it more explained, search for "How to use corpnewt USBMap" and see the Dortania USB Mapping Guide (as reference, since it is outdated)
I wanted to put the links, but las time I did that, I got banned for a week :c, so you have to use google a little.
If you are using clover, the steps are pretty the same, the only thing that changes is the location of the kexts in the loader.
And if you pay attention, I didn't say anything about Hackintool, this is because Hackintool only shows the first 15 branches, as the MacOS does (USBMap shows all the ports available by the chipset and hubs, enabled or not). Hackintool is useless to discover USBports since BigSur, but helps you to see which ports are you OS seeing right now and to comprehend what is going on with your OS.
All the remaining data is information about the devices that are visible to the OS (0x8086 means that is manufactured by Intel, by the way) but is Irrelevant for the USB mapping.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Could you share your USBMapping? I can't do anything without mouse and keyboard... lol

Or does anyone solved it without a dock/USB-Hub? I can't do anything, none of my usb ports works

Last edited:
Hi. I'm Using a MSI MEG Z590 ACE Motherboard with MacOS BigSur.
MB: MSI MEG Z590 ACE
Processor: Intel core i9 10900
Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon RX570
Loader: Opencore 0.7.2 Release
I was using it (I think it was 11.1) with no troubles and, then, I Updated it to 11.5.1, and now none of my USB ports work. I've read that i must remap the USB ports, but I'm having a hard time doing it, because my usb ports aren't recognized at all. USB-C doesn't work either, so my USB hubs are useless, but I am able to use an USB mouse and keyboard thanks to the fact that my MB has a thunderbolt port and I have a thunderbolt dock/USB-HUB attached to it.
I have hackintool, Opencoreconfigurator, IOReg as tools, but the help I found about how to do it, does not help since it covers big sur until 11.3 or chipsets until z490 and i got lost because i follow the steps but my system does not see the USBs
My USB controller says in hackintool
Type . ID . Name . Series . Vendor . Device ID
XHCI . 0x14 . Tiger Lake-H USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 xHCI Host Controller . Unknown . 0x8086 . 0x43ED

Some help about how can I do my propper USB mapping withoun having to install catalina?
Thank you!
also, what dock/USB-Hub are u using?

Hi, yes, very hard, but still resolved.
The USB Mapping is MB specific, sharing will not help.

You need to prepare EFI, use other PC/USB if required, any other way to just boot and be able to add kexts to EFI and download tools:

If you are able to boot Windows use Windows version, macOS otherwise:

Procedure which worked for me was as I remember:
* Enable USB Port Hack - XhciPortLimit on Kernel - Quirks
* Kernel - Add USBToolBox.kext and UTBDefault.kext, enable both and reboot.

USBInjectAll.kext must be disabled, as it interferes as I remember.

After reboot, somehow few ports started to work, you should plug mouse into different one by one to find if at least one port started to work.

If it does, login to your account, start terminal ir run USBToolBox tool. Then follow the procedure, add/remove USB2 AND USB3 pen drives one by one every port, to do port mapping.

Mark unused ports as disabled, also mark ALL ports over 15 limit, just choose least required.

If you get UTB bug, you will need to delete output file and star over. I hope this was fixed since then, but I lost hours because needed to start over.

* Now, when you have UTBmap.kext just rename it by your MB model, my name is UTBmap-gigabyte-z590d.kext and add it to Kernel kext list.
* Disable UTBDefault.kext!!!
* Disable Quick XhciPostLimit!!!

save and reboot.

Hope it helps.

It did work, Thanks u so much! But I having problems with the performance, the system is soooo slow, did u face this issue?

It did work, Thanks u so much! But I having problems with the performance, the system is soooo slow, did u face this issue?
When that happens its most likely to be a hardware problem, that you are not using a SSD but an HDD instead, or that you are loading kexts that you don't need (or not loading kexts that you DO need)

I already had a Z490, I assumed that the same config would fit for the Z590, because dortiana guide is the same. I don’t have an HDD, just two SSD, so I don’t know what else to do. Could you share with me your config to compare? Without the serial and another sensitive data of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back