Contribute
Register

USB port limit patch for 14.1, 14.2, 14.3, 14.5,14.6

@UtterDisbelief I am not resigning to not knowing and frankly, I think they are just naming errors. I am looking for you to tell me how to figure it out. I do have 2 semi-related questions for you:

1) What is the easiest way to decompile a DSDT? I followed this guide but the last step doesn't work. It keeps reporting:

Code:
Could not open input file: DSDT.aml
Could not get ACPI tables from DSDT.aml, AE_NOT_EXIST

2) Also, a closer look at my USB from the windows side shows that my keyboard and mouse have "Child USBs". Do hubs get enumerated as well?
you can use this guide to decompile DSDT and SSDTs:

you can use this guide to decompile DSDT and SSDTs:

How the heck did you respond to a thread I hadn't posted yet? That's some scary voodoo and thank you for the help!

How the heck did you respond to a thread I hadn't posted yet? That's some scary voodoo and thank you for the help!
i just saw your post appear in activity thread and responded with super human quickness :)

maybe you should also create a ssdt for your usb ports now ? :) :) :)

i just saw your post appear in activity thread and responded with super human quickness :)

maybe you should also create a ssdt for your usb ports now ? :):):)

NEVER!!!!! Just kidding. The guide worked perfectly, no idea how I fell on the other one. Thanks again.

NEVER!!!!! Just kidding. The guide worked perfectly, no idea how I fell on the other one. Thanks again.
lols!

updated my machine to latest 10.14.4 and had no usb issues.... just saying :) :)

lols!

updated my machine to latest 10.14.4 and had no usb issues.... just saying :):)

So did I and soon as I found the 10.14.4 PLRP patch, I was golden again. Just saying :)

But seriously, I will look at the whole thing again as soon as I finish what I am trying to do now.

Just back from a 'fun' 10.14.4 upgrade...

Okay, just a thought or two more for you about those pesky ports.

The only motherboard header that might be wired as a pseudo-Type-C port is that funny front-panel connector. I can't tell from the graphic how many pins it has but my guess would be, if it has the full roster of 24, then it could function as just 1x Type-C.

But that only bumps up the total to 2x Type-C ports. And they are all SS, not HS so that's not the origin.

My remaining worry with PLRP methodology is still that, in your case, why are there 4x Type-C ports showing - SS01/SS02/SS05/SS06?

So is this a function of the PLRP or something else? If you staunchly promote a no-restriction approach to USB ports, okay, that's fine, but you should still want to know where they are. Not knowing begs the question, how can you tell if they're configured correctly and won't fry something sensitive, for example?

:crazy:

Ok just compiled the USB table and 24 ports are identified so my previous theory explains the 2 extra ports (I think).

Attachments

• SSDT-8-UsbCTabl.dsl
    28.1 KB · Views: 134
Ok just compiled the USB table and 24 ports are identified so my previous theory explains the 2 extra ports (I think).

Weeelllll....

The hub idea is a good one but it falls at the first fence.

Here's an Apple Keyboard with it's two USB ports AND a Lexar Flash Drive plugged in...

You have my keyboard in HS05, obviously working or this wouldn't appear on screen, and no other entries on the tree for the drive except the branch you can see here. On the desktop I have a mounted drive.

Hub.png

Having said that, @RehabMan recommends the use of a USB 3.0 hub for port discovery instead of flash-drives, so you are on the right track.

:)

Weeelllll....

The hub idea is a good one but it falls at the first fence.

Here's an Apple Keyboard with it's two USB ports AND a Lexar Flash Drive plugged in...

You have my keyboard in HS05, obviously working or this wouldn't appear on screen, and no other entries on the tree for the drive except the branch you can see here. On the desktop I have a mounted drive.

View attachment 395236

Having said that, @RehabMan recommends the use of a USB 3.0 hub for port discovery instead of flash-drives, so you are on the right track.

:)

Not so fast buddy! I am using a Logitech unifier and a ROCCAT mouse. My keyboard has an extra USB-C port, not sure if it's just for charging, don't have any other devices I can plug in to test. The mouse also has a whole other level of functionality for macros and what not. What are those 2 IOUSBHostINterface for each device?

Not so fast buddy! I am using a Logitech unifier and a ROCCAT mouse. My keyboard has an extra USB-C port, not sure if it's just for charging, don't have any other devices I can plug in to test. The mouse also has a whole other level of functionality for macros and what not. What are those 2 IOUSBHostINterface for each device?

View attachment 395251 View attachment 395252

Yep, spot on, but they are on the same ports: HS05 and HS06, just like mine :D

Apologies - I didn't know what a "Logitech Unifier" was. I do now!

:crazy: More thought required ...

Okay. So the keyboard is wired - which port?

Your mouse transceiver is in HS06 and the device showing on HS05?

Wouldn't you think that was an enumeration problem?

Last edited:
Back